1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

othella harrington for walt williams??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by brahma rocket, Jun 4, 2000.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's go over the list of 15-10 guys:

1. Shaq
    2. Duncan
    3. Garnett
    4. Webber
    5. Reef
    6. Brand

Notice a trend? Yes, all of them are the #1 player on their team.

Now if we drop down to 15-9 we can add:
    7. David Robinson
    8. Karl Malone
    9. Alonzo Mourning

And next year, I suppose we'll be able to put at #10 Othella Harrington? Umm.....no.

At best, Harrington will be 13-8. That's stretching it.

Besides, then we'd either get to go to an undersized lineup, or have Matt Bullard start at SF.

Not to mention it won't work cap wise.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

2. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

i'd consider the first group of guys more like 25 and 10 and the second group of guys 20 and 10. average wise no they don't average that but those are the type of stats that you expect from those guys each game, and with othella harrington being the only big man with a post up game on a team that has noone averaging more then 6 rpg, i think it's very possible to expect othella to get us 15 points and 10 rebounds on a consistent basis.

3. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

My list was of ACTUAL stats. The first 6 are the ONLY guys in the league that average over 15 points, and over 10 rebounds.

------------------

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited June 17, 2000).]

4. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

your missing my point

example: steve francis averages 18 points and 7 assist a game but i would consider him 20 point 10 assist a game guy. why? because that's what he'll give you the majority of the time

ya get my point?

5. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

umm....I guess if you consider 13-7 is 15-10, I suppose.

------------------

6. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Since Houston wasn't nearly as good as their late season winning streak would indicate, maybe the NBA will let them draft second instead of ninth. If 13 & 7 is really 15 & 10, that makes sense to me.

------------------

7. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

yeah that's what i'm hoping :)

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Um... if Francis got 20 points/10 assists the "majority" of the time, wouldn't he average 20 points/10 assists? Same thing with Othella. If he was a 15/10 type of guy the majority of the time, why doesn't he get those numbers? You get me and Nike's point? He isn't and never will be a 15/10 guy. Unless you consider 13/7 to be 15/10, in which case yes he can.

------------------
    Cheaters never win. Unless you play for LA that is.

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited June 17, 2000).]

9. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

players have off nights they go through streches where they can't make a shot. i'm not say othella will get 15 points and 10 rebounds EVERY single game but i think we can count on him to get 15 points and 10 rebound the majority of the time just like each game we expect francis to get 20 points a game even though he averages only 18 a game.

10. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

NIKEstrad,

I looked at the players you listed and noticed that almost all were extremely high draft picks. If Harrington joins that elite group, the entire NBA will have missed in their evaluation of him when he came out of college. That rarely happens.

Mango

------------------
    Live long and prosper.
    Donate blood!

Now...back to updating
    The Serious Police Files.

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited June 17, 2000).]

11. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

you guys are acting like 15 and 10 are superstar type numbers. at one time kevin willis averaged those numbers for many seasons was kevin willis that much better then othella harrington is now?

12. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Mango-yeah, Othella was good out of HS at least though. I'm glad you had a serious post here. The last 2 posts I had read of yours would have only gotten a 2 or a 3 on Smeg's serious rating, and worried you might have been converted to their side.

dice-Umm, 5 to be exact. He made an all star as well. His numbers were actually dominating, including one year of 18.3 points, and 15.5 rebounds.

The aging Kevin Willis now isn't that good, but he used to be a legit quality player. 15-10 aren't really HOF numbers, but they're better than you're claiming them to be, and better than Othella can average.

------------------

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited June 17, 2000).]

13. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

13 points and 7 rebounds are really not that far off, othella hasen't even reached his peak yet, you know the guy is a work horse and his game will get better every year. he'll always be near the top of the league every year in field goal percentage, he's a tenacious rebounder(he wants the ball more then anyone else on the court). a change of scenery will do the guy some good. he definately has the potential to be a 15 and 10 guy.

14. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Didn't you just say how unhappy he was in Vancouver, isn't that a change of scenery?

------------------

15. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

NIKEstrad,

The BBS seems quite peaceful and we don't see too many of "the edited by the Admins" messages and a warning issued to skewed posters. Of course there are the random messages that appear and then disappeaar 15 minutes later, but overall the BBS seems to police itself quite well.

I had an intense debate a while back and my opposition mentioned that new posters had lowered the board's standards and quality of posts. Newer posters are probably just as diverse as the established crew and I see no decline in the board's quality. If anything, a step upward has been made.

You were worried I had gone to the other side and your concern is appreciated. I will have to stay away from humor since it seems that my reputation is at stake. Hopefully some sarcasm is still permitted.

Mango

------------------
    Live long and prosper.
    Donate blood!

Now...back to updating
    The Serious Police Files.

16. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

a change of scenery from vancouver is what i mean, a place where he'll be happy like houston and be more motivated and dedicated to play inspired basketball rather then playing in vancouver where there are many seats empty, and you know the team is going nowhere as long as their in a canadian city.

17. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Mango-If you must use sarcasm, it will be permitted.

NIKEstrad
    -Founder of the Serious Police Police-

------------------

18. AxSomebody

AxSomebody Contributing Member

In this discussion, don't discount the fact that Rudy played Walt at the PF position toward the end of the season. It was because of the mismatches that Walt was able to go on the offensive tear that he went on for the last 20 or so games.
    If we could get that kind of production all season, I'd love to have the Wiz getting minutes at the four and I wouldn't want to see him get traded....yet

------------------

19. OT

OT Member

I would definitly take O back. Yes, he can be a black hole but, I think it was because he never got enough minutes and he felt like he had to prove that he can score. With his FG% as high as it was, it was not always a bad thing to pass it into him. If he can get starter minutes he could be a 15/10 guy. He hustles as much as any player and plays like every rebound should be his. As far as not fitting our system goes, he would do anything that Rudy asks him to do.

------------------

20. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

OT:

I agree that I'd love to have Othella back, but there is one thing that Othella is lacking that is far and away a larger obstacle......his defense(or lack thereof). That is my biggest problem with Othella.

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

"when you come in da HOOD... things change."