1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

othella harrington for walt williams??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by brahma rocket, Jun 4, 2000.

1. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

As much as I love Othella he was a different player when he was here previousily. More importantly this team has taken a 180 degree change in focus.

To improve our roster any new starting PF better be able to: defend in the slot with rutrhlessness and abandon, box out anything in the same time zone as them, rebound 8 - 12 times a game, score with an arsenal of shots when required and by far the most important attribute ..... he better possess the ability to protect and pass to all the fireflies (at the 1,2,3 positions) as they buzz around the net. And do it without complaining.

Othella cannot effectively box out anymore, don't ask me why, he was well schooled in the subject when he was here. He has basically two shots: a left-handed baby hook accross the face of the net, and a 12 -13 footer he floats nicely when no one comes at him. He has become much more frustrated when he doesn't get his ticket punched in the poffensive set, and almost "pouts" the rest of the game. Which may tell more about his lack of defense than anything, but, God almighty, he has trouble passing gas, so don't ask him to hit a striding wingman with a pinpoint assist like Kenny Thomas can do in his sleep, while wrestling an alligator.

------------------

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is 32.6 MPG not starter's minutes?

I'd much rather have Fortson than Othella.

Fortson got only 15.5 minutes (that's not a typo) and managed 6.7 rebounds, and 7.6 points. Give him 30 minutes a game, and that's a good 15-11. Not to mention Fortson's only 24.

I'd rather have KT in this offense than Othella. KT has a better potential than Othella, and is 10 times the passer. KT can also shoot better than Othella can. Neither are good defensively, and are about the same on the boards.

I'd take Moiso over both. Left Handed Players are always better than their righthanded counterparts [​IMG]. Doesn't hurt when you're 7 feet tall, can jump out of the roof, and have a soft touch to 15 feet while playing PF. Ideally, acquiring Moiso and Fortson would shore up the PF spot nicely, but the question is still Moiso or Johnson, and I'm leaning towards Johnson.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

3. sid

sid Member

NIKE,

I was going to start a thread about Fortson and if he was worth pursuing this off-season, but seeing as you just mentioned him i won't bother. His numbers are incredible for the minutes he gets. Pitino obviously doesn't want him there, so what do you think our chances are?

------------------

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I could never figure out what happened to Fortson in Boston, especially after he had a very good season in Denver.

He seems like a good rebounder and can rovide some offense, but foul-prone.

------------------
    Its only my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

5. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

I'd love to land Fortson. He's a free agent, and I'm hoping we can land him there. a Sign/Trade should be easy, considering Boston tried to trade him for Alvin Williams (backup PG for Toronto, and THEY'RE desperate for a PG).

If we could pick him up, and then dangle KT and picks for #10 (we can give them relief from owing us a pick, and the Detroit pick, for #10, and if they want, a player.....not sure what Orlando would think of it, it'd depend how the first 8 go, who they pick at #5, who they want at #13, etc.), we could have a REAL nice team...

------------------

6. Puedlfor

Depending who's available, the Rockets might be able to pull of this trade :

<u>Houston Gets :</u>
    Derek Strong
    10th Pick
    13th Pick

<u>Orlando Gets :</u>
    9th Pick
    4.5 million exception

Although its unlikely, this trade isn't so out of the question.

Orlando gets to get rid Derek Strong's contract and two guarenteed contracts in the 10th and 13th picks. This gives them more room to sign Free Agent's.

Houston gets a low post role-player in Strong and two lottery picks.

------------------

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Orlando can get much better offers than that.

Mango

------------------
    Live long and prosper.
    Donate blood!

Now...back to updating
    The Serious Police Files.

8. Puedlfor

Maybe, but how may teams can offer them essentially 4.5 million dollars in cap space?

------------------

9. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I would trade Walt for Othella for a few reasons.

1. Othella's contract is much more cap friendly than Walt's is in the years to come. Everyone knows we will need as much cap as possible to stay competitive after Hakeem is gone.

2. Othella is a good role player. I understand that "O" usually is a black hole on offense, but we saw Steve's commercial...he knows how to handle the "blackhole syndrome" type of player [​IMG] Actually, Othella does like to shoot the ball, but he doesn't take bad shots. He has a good field goal percentage(51%) and keeps his defenders honest. If he can learn to pass out of the double team better, he could be a good(not perfect) fit for the Rockets.

3. Odds are that we won't be getting the big, quality PF from the #9 pick that we envision as the perfect fit. Most likely we will be taking someone that will be filling the SF role and getting sometime at the PF spot. This person could be the one that takes Walt's place.

Everyone that is saying 15/10 for Othella is unrealistic, I don't think so. He may not get that everynight, but one more shot and 2 more rebounds is definitely not unrealistic. If he can get 13/8 in around 25-30 mpg, I'll take it with Francis running the show!

------------------
    We need some meat in the post and I don't mean Brian Grant!

10. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

i wouldn't take fortson over harrington. the guy can rebound but he doesnt have near the post up game othella has he doesnt have the footwork that othella has, he's not as good a shooter. othella works just as hard out on the floor as fortson plus othella is 6'9 and can play both power forward and center, while fortson is 6'7 and is limited to playing only power forward. i'd rather have kenny thomas over fortson.

11. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

RP-by shooter, I meant range, as in jump shoot. (Shaq is not a good shooter, but led the league in FG%)

------------------

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I don't think it's even up for discussion whether we'd take Fortson over Harrington. Hell yea we would! I love "O", but he has nothing on The Fort!

Also, Nikestrad, KT is not a better shooter than Othella. Othella hit 51% of his shots. KT didn't make it over the 40% hump. I do agree that he is a better passer.....rather that he DOES pass, something that Othella has been reluctant to do.

Puedlfor, Orlanda would be out of their minds to make that trade. It doesn't benefit them at all.

------------------
    We need some meat in the post and I don't mean Brian Grant!