1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

othella harrington for walt williams??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by brahma rocket, Jun 4, 2000.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Just my opinion, but if the Knicks GM did that deal he should be fired. Camby is just as good as Grant practically, and he fits New York's scheme much better. Stoudamire is much worse than Allan Houston also. And then New York adds someone else too? I respect your argument on Grant and the #9 pick, but I feel like you are very much overestimating Grant's value and underestimating the #9 pick.

------------------
    Cheaters never win. Unless you play for LA that is.

2. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot Member

Grant is an up grade over Camby and Stoudamire is an up grade over Ward/Childs. The Knicks already have a better SG than Houston named Latrell Sprewell.

3. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

No, Rockets must keep Shan and the Wizard. I'd rather work with Kenny than push him out of the lineup with Othella. Kenny has more potential than Othella.

------------------
    THE DEAN HAS WRITTEN

4. The Cat

But then who starts at SF? Larry Johnson? The Knicks are thin enough on depth as it is. They need to add some more depth, not decrease it even more. Eventually one of their starters will get hurt (Ewing?), and then what do you do? They have very few quality reserves. In fact, most are of the Andrew Lang/Rick Brunson/ CBA type.

------------------

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited June 05, 2000).]

5. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot Member

So if the Knicks were to trade Houston and Ward for Payton (something they have offered but were denied), how would that help their depth? NY's problem is up front and at PG. Grant is an upgrade over Camby and Stoudamire is a huge upgrade over Ward and Childs.

6. The Cat

For one thing, Payton is one of the 3 or 4 best players in the entire league. He is different. I realize that you think Houston isn't as good as Spree and that they need to deal him, but you don't deal an 20 points per game All-Star for that little. I'm sure Portland would love to deal Grant for Camby straight up if that helps the Knicks that much. Grant struggled this year in Portland, and might leave this offseason anyway. Camby gives them a younger version of Grant who can also play and matchup with centers and power forwards both. (unlike Grant when against Shaq)

------------------

7. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot Member

Houston is on the trading block. NY wants a PF and a PG, dealing Houston, Camby, and Ward/Childs, they can get an upgrade at PF and a solid PG. Grant had a poor year in Portland because of an injury. Grant can bang with centers and the best PFs and is less than 2 years older than Camby.

8. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I don't see the Knicks as being too big on Stoudamire. He is smaller and will be abused defensively. I don't know that he is that big of an upgrade. Camby and Grant is pretty much a wash. But then they are going to add Houston? That is pretty lopsided. That is also a lot of swing men for Portland. They would have to make another deal. Look for Miami to make a big push for Houston since they are dying to get a good 2 (for PJ Brown , future pick). Thanks god they do not have cap space (Mobley).

------------------

9. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Stoudimire may be paid a whole lot more than Ward/Childs, but he is not a major upgrade in terms of making the Knicks a more effective team. Minnie Mouse is the better individual player, but defensively he is a liability, he is no better in the 1/2 court in terms of setting up the offense (primary PG duty), and his contract is atrocious. The fact he has been on the bench in the crucial minutes of the last 2 playoff runs of the Blazers tells you all you need to know about him. Houston and Camby (no, because of his age and length he is more valuable than Grant) for Stoud and Grant would be a terrible deal for the Knicks.

If Portland is going to acquire a Payton or probably even Houston (Spree would be easier to get formt he Knicks), they would have to include Wallace, which I don't think they would want to do. Or maybe if Oneal and Wells was added loot to a Stoud and Grant deal they might be able to acquire a superstar without giving up Wallance. But otherwise forget it, Stoud is a cancer with one of the worst contracts in the league, Grant is a good workman PF but nothing else.

------------------

10. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

The Cat,

Do you seriously think that Camby can guard Shaq?

Mango

------------------
    Live long and prosper.

Donate Blood!

11. The Cat

Probably not. But I do think he could do a better job than Grant did. What I was trying to say is on a regular basis Camby does see a lot of time at center, because simply there aren't that many good ones out there. Camby is a capable center. (when not matched against Shaq) Grant still isn't. He lacks the height, etc. that Camby has. What I'm saying is that Camby is more versatile than Grant and versatility is a nice thing to have.

------------------

12. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

The Cat,

It's true that Grant lacks height, but Camby lacks weight and strength. Given a choice of guarding Shaq, I'd choose stronger player over the taller one, especially since the taller player in this case, Camby, only has 2 inches of height on the shorter one, Grant.

Also, I disagree that Camby is more versatile than Grant. Camby is an athletic weakside shotblocker and that's pretty much it. Grant has an offensive game and plays pretty good defense also.

That said, I'm glad that you can look beyond your hate of the Big (insert word-o-the-week here), to admit that they would both have trouble guarding him [​IMG]

------------------

13. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Camby guarding Shaq????? Thats like saying Queen Elizabeth could hold her own in the strong man competition! I would rather have Brian Grant over Camby any day, both are injury prone, both will make big money next year and both will never be superstars, BUT at least Grant can bang and thats what you need at the 4 position, unless you can get a Rasheed Wallace, KG, or a Webber the prototypical banger who can board is the way to go. Given the oportunity Carlos Rogers was the same player that Camby was, so I think I'll stick with Los rather than aquire Camby. If you don't remember Carlos's play go check out his stats and compare them to Camby's, you will be surprised.

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

hmmmm ...

no, I would say keep Wizard.

trade for Baker. woo hoo!

And as far as the Camby vs. Grant thingie, Ill have to side with the Cat. After all, Camby is going to be on the wheel of fortune. Besides, who can guard cheaters?

cheater cheater pumpkin eater ...

------------------
    I have a special purpose.

15. DJ

DJ Member

Nope. I wouldn't do that deal. Walt Williams is the best shooter on the Rockets and Shandon Anderson is one of the best players on the Rockets. How about this deal Devin Gray, Tony Massenberg, Matt Bullard and Bryce Crewfor Shareef Abdul Rahim and the number 2 pick in the draft. Makes sense to me.

------------------

16. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

i would deal walt williams for othella harrington straight open in a heartbeat. othella is a 15ppg 10rpg guy.

17. The Cat

Othella a 15/10 guy? LOL. Let's see Othella go out and grab 10 boards a game, not even mentioning scoring 15 points. Won't happen.

------------------

18. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

while barkley was down and harrington started, 15 and 10 were consistently what harrington got.

19. The Cat

A few games doesn't make a season or career. This year, where he got the minutes and started every game, he got 13 points/7 rebounds. Othella will never be a consistent 10 rebounds a night guy. He just can't do it.

------------------

20. dice7_11

dice7_11 Member

by the way harrinton averaged 13 points and 7 rebounds playing uninspired ball at a place he was miserable so 15 and 10 is not unrealistic.