1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official "Unleash Kyle Wiltjer" thread.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Dec 21, 2016.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

not sure if this is just narrative but i would say watching him play on rockets he is solid on defense, at least an underrated defender

T for 3 likes this.
  2. T for 3

T for 3 Member

He's not like the worst defender in the league or anything....he's not a very good perimeter defender when guys get switched on him....and we have to double pretty much any legitimate 4 who backs him down, but hes still better than wiltjer......

3. basketballholic

Teams keep track of data. Anderson will have to prove he can shoot at TC come playoff time.

fckbandwagons and napalm06 like this.
  4. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Should've given Ryno's minutes to Wiltjer.

cdrive and Blurr#7 like this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Yep and we are just over half way through the season.

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I bet Wiltjer wouldn't have gone 1-10 on 3's tonight.

basketballholic likes this.
  7. dtitus1

dtitus1 Member

I said the exact same thing.. what's up with all the brewer love.??

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

He does stuff to the coaching staff. He makes them feel a certain way.

9. Nemospl

Nemospl Member

I'm for bringing him as a backup for Anderson. I thought for sure we would see him last night some in the game. A bench of Bev, Gordon, Dekker, Wiljer, Nene/Trez is actually really good.

10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I'd rather give Wiltjer minutes than Brewer. Wiltjer will give the same amount of effort if not more than Brewer since he'll be dying to get minutes. Also he fits way better in this offense than Corey the brick. Wiltjer shot 40%* of his d-league career.

*from the 3 pt line

douglasreedy1 likes this.
  11. j@amc

j@amc Member

Based on the direction that he's trending, I am not sure Wiltjer has any real future here. His shooting is an elite skill, but he lacks the size and quickness to be anything more than an injury fill-in/13th man. His ceiling is probably a shorter Steve Novak.

Versus the Austin Spurs last night (2-3-17), Wiltjer player 42 minutes hit 5-20 from the field (2-14 from 3) / 1 offensive rebound, 5 total. It was a home back-to-back game but his +/- was -10. And much of that was him getting killed in P&R or off the dribble. He offers no real "help" when he comes over. If someone has him on the block, he's pretty invisible at this point.

Those who lament Ryan Anderson's efforts on D would howl over Wiltjer. He will improve with experience, but he's pretty far from what we need.

Shooting is so coveted around the league, I'd include him in a deal to get us some needed depth, even if it is only for the short term. Can we really afford to have him filling a roster spot?

Sidenote: The other D-League guys, Nanu and Payton, make sense. But there are at least 2 other players on that roster who belong in the league: Tokoto and Morris. I've been touting Morris over on the D-League board for a while now, but Tokoto might be able to play the 3. He would give us more shooting than Brewer (which is not saying a whole lot).

Tokoto's D is serviceable for a younger player. He's disruptive, athletic, gets loose balls and deflections, can finish over the rim, etc. Someone is going to grab him up to add to their roster. I hope it can be us.​

saleem likes this.
  12. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I like Kyle. I'm glad he wasn't moved at the trade deadline. I'm convinced he wasn't picked in the draft because he looks goofy running. #soon

14. j@amc

j@amc Member

Good game for @kwiltj. Nice to see his 10 boards including some work when the game was on the line. 10 points late after Onuaku picks up his 5th foul. . . Morris and Payton great in this one too.

Check out this serious dunk by Payton at a critical juncture in the 4Q. He can really bring it.

Little Bit and Chanmarr like this.
  15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

He's baaaaack! :p

16. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Last night we coulda used the strokejer

17. eman

eman Contributing Member

Why not give Wilt some burn? Let Anderson heal for the playoffs.

juanm34 likes this.
  18. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Kyle should have played last night. Last night was the dumbest thing ever.

Kyle should have been called up immediately after Ryan went to the locker room during the Spurs game. You know you're going to do a planned rest with Nene for the Jazz after the Spurs game. Now you know Ryan would be out. You have an open roster spot! 12 active, 1 inactive. If Ryan felt good against the Jazz, then have BOBBY FREAKING BROWN fake a sore hammy and have him sit in a suit, which he has tons of money to buy for doing nothing.

I don't care how "green" Kyle might still be. Dude can shoot and he is a 6'10" body. Being a veteran doesn't make you 6'10". Kyle is bigger than Roster Spot. Kyle is taller than Roster Spot. Kyle can shoot better than Roster Spot. Kyle can box out better than Roster Spot.

Kyle would have helped us last night. No one could hit a damn 3. No one could box out. No one could get a damn rebound. No one could make a damn lay up. Kyle is actually crafty near the rim in addition to being The Truth from behind the 3 point line.

Stupid. I'm still mad about last night's game. Hell I'm still made about the Spurs game.

Games like last night make me really wonder how significant it is to the team chemistry and locker room to have the bench mascot known as Bobby Brown.

htownrox1 likes this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

^ Bobby Brown - DNP Bench Mascot

20. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

He definitely could help us more than he could hurt. Dekker is shooting basically 30% from 3 and declining. You can't tell me Wiltjer can't do better than that. Plus like it's been mentioned he's 6'10, you can't teach height.

I think it's worth a shot to get at least some minutes.

cdrive likes this.