1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official "Unleash Kyle Wiltjer" thread.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Dec 21, 2016.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The man, Ryno, is the ultimate trade chip. #Asset

2. basketballholic

You're saying nothing. And you have no evidence of it. We signed Anderson to an 80 million contract as a free agent. That obligates us to him. We've got to play him. And we did. And he showed us what he is. Catch and shoot player on the road with a quick trigger. Nothing else.

You can argue that he plays defense. But that's useless. He can't defend. He's too slow and unathletic. He's just another body out there.

Rebound? Just another guy. Just another mediocre rebounding big. Doesn't have a nose for the ball. No hops. Not quick off the floor. Not super strong.

Anderson has no special skills other that catching and shooting the long ball. And its questionable whether some of his skill set is even NBA grade. But because he's so good at catching and shooting the long ball he gets a pass on everything else. Simply put, he's one of the best catch-and-shoot guys in the league. With no other plus skill.

No, he's not. That's just opinion. You haven't watched Wiltjer enough to know it. I have. Wiltjer is the better shooter. Yes, I understand that's hard to believe. And that precisely why guys like you think I'm nuts when I tell you Wiltjer is the better player. But he is. Because he's an even better shooter than Anderson and he's no worse defensively or on the glass.

Now, I realize that's unproven to the vast majority of fans. Because fans distort skill sets with opportunity and contracts. That's why you think I'm absurd when I tell you Jarrod Uthoff is a better player then both Anderson and Wiltjer. Because it's unproven to you until you see Uthoff light up quality teams and players in the NBA and earn a big contract.

But an unproven player does not necessarily mean a worse player.

3. rockets13champs

I've watched Wiltjer in garbage time and he chucked up 3s and didn't make a lot of them

4. basketballholic

Key words.......garbage time.

Hey I watched James Harden in garbage time in game 6. He sucked.

Means nothing.

5. rockets13champs

That wasn't garbage time when he played in 1st quarter

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol the fact that you cannot even make shots in garbage time is worse, especially being a bench warmer. "garbage time" doesn't apply to those guys. that's no excuse whatsoever.

who makes excuses for that. that's pretty terrible

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  7. basketballholic

Oh.......you wanna compare prime time?

Ryan Anderson played over 30 minutes a game for an entire season at TC and never got untracked at doing the one thing we pay him 20 million a season to do.

Wiltjer had two games where he played 5 minutes.

Opportunity wasn't there. Doesn't mean Anderson is better.

#147 basketballholic, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  8. rockets13champs

Why are we arguing lol. My opinion is that Wiltjer is not as good as Anderson. Even Wiltjer would admit that. If Kyle Wiltjer was as good as Ryan Anderson he'd BE IN THE NBA right now. Unlike Anderson who got paid $20 million

9. basketballholic

Let me give you an example. The season before Miami signed Hassan Whiteside to a two-year minimum salary deal, while Whiteside was toiling away with some nothing team in never-never land, Whiteside was a better player than Chris Andersen and Joel Anthony, who were two of the bigs on Miami's roster in 2014.

Most people would argue that there's no way Whiteside was better than Chris Andersen and Joel Anthony because if he were he'd be in the NBA. But that wasn't the case at all. And Whiteside proved it the next season. He didn't get to Miami and then all of a sudden, bang, he got better than them. It was simply a matter of getting the opportunity to prove what had already happened. Whiteside had already made the improvements by leaps and bounds to become the better player before he got to Miami.

Even in his first season in Miami, Whiteside basically split minutes with Chris Andersen for about half that season until it became abundantly clear to everyone, including his teammates, that Whiteside was the better player.

Oh by the way, one more point. In 2013-14 when Whiteside was out of the NBA Amare Stoudemire was making over $21 million from the Knicks. And in 2014-15 while Whiteside was passpla on a minimum salary deal Stoudemire was making over $23 million. Whiteside was the better player both years.

10. rockets13champs

I don't get your argument that's 1 out of many. Potential don't mean anything. It just means you haven't done anything yet. There are so many prospects out there that never lived up to their potential. A rookie to me isn't good until they prove something. You can't just be on ballislife videos and then expect these ppl to be better than these 10 year vets

11. basketballholic

I didn't say that. I gave you a very specific example (Whiteside). Wiltjer is another example. When he finally gets his opportunity he'll make good.