1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Chiefs 10/20/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 15, 2013.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Kubiak sounds like he wants Matt to be the starter.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Won't discuss team rules but make decisions based on body of work. Made a decision to move forward. Things we need to address at LB and ST.

(Cushing) Significant knee injury. Surgery this week(within 48 hours).

After what he's been through, to come back and the way he's playing, playing at a DPOY level, to go through this again, it's difficult for him. Cush will do everything he can to come back. Just hope for the best.

Duane Brown sore ankle
    Arian hamstring day to day
    Tate sore ribs

I gotta sit down and look at our situation. Matt is our starting QB. Case started because Matt was hurt. Case played well. I'll evaluate where we are as a team.

Impressed with what he did. To go into KC and handle the team the way he did was impressive. He did a lot of good things and things he can improve upon for us to be successful but for the first time, he did well.

Ray Graham has been practicing well for us but things we have to address: ILB, Tuggle will go to SAM linebacker behind Brooks. We have rebuilding to do inside and we have special teams issues. Moves we make have to help Joe (Marciano).

We need another outside guy. Braman is the WILL. Sharpton and Joe will work inside. Mohammed played well for us on ST. We need more inside help.

We improved on a lot of areas yesterday (on ST). Elbert Mack, Mohammed, Pleasant gave us a lift.

We have to find a way to help Joe (Marciano).

Keyshawn not totally himself but he will be better. Had a beat up shoulder 2 weeks ago. He has given up for his team.

Joe Mays and Sharpton will start inside. Mohammed is an inside player. Dobbins trying to get healthy.

We can all play better across the board. Ed has improved coming off his hip injury. We need to keep improving across the board.

Sharpton hasn't practiced in 2 weeks but played in both games. Bothered by a foot. Need to get him healthy.

(Case) Players responded well to him.

(Schaub) Matt's back, moving around a bit today. We have a bye week, chance to evaluate and I'll do what's best for the team.

Bullock has kicked well. He and Shane, Shane kept them pinned pretty good.

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

hoping to find out if Deji Karim may have a shot again to get back with the team. Thought Cierre was a better player, and expect him to get picked up by a team really needing a RB regardless of whether he was smoking green or not...

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He's clearly lost touch with reality.

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yup, it's a joke. He played conservative because he thought we wouldn't have a chance to be in range so he wasted time running BS plays. When Keenum made the plays he had an "OH Crap" moment where he now has to try and throw a hail mary instead of being in a position for a FG most likely the way the drive was going. Have some balls to see if you can get something out of it.

I said the same thing when it happened. They are all used to having to come back for the ball instead of actually keeping stride and falling right under the ball.

One other point I forgot to mention which in my opinion is huge in terms of QB play, Keenum spread the ball around. Players that have never seen action were getting looks. Schaub in my opinion has a tendency to just lock in and make him mind up sometimes before the play starts.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

From top to bottom, starting with Bob McNair on down, this organization lacks the mental and intestinal fortitude that it takes to succeed at such a high level. They simply aren't equipped to make tough decisions, and everything has to be done by some unwritten book. If Case isn't named the starter for the Indianapolis game, then Gary Kubiak needs to be fired the second he names Schaub. Unfortunately, that won't happen since Bob hasn't hired himself a consultant yet.

7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Kubiack = Ted Cruz

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>RB Ben Tate just told AP he has 4 broken ribs but expects to play after bye. Foster and Tate are injured and they need another RB.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/392405482029064192">October 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The worst thing for this team would be for Gary to play Schaub because he thinks it's "best for the team" only for him to be fired in the offseason and for us to not really know what we have in Keenum outside of the KC game.

I said it in another thread, Bob needs to force Gary's hand in playing Case. It's pretty obvious now that the QB position needs to be addressed. Schaub's not the guy. He already had a weak arm and hasn't really stepped into a throw since the lisfranc injury on his plant foot (where all the power comes from). Add in the recent injury to the right ankle and it's just not going to get better. What we do with the QB position going forward can be somewhat determined by what Case does if he's given the job the rest of the season. He needs to be out there. And if Gary doesn't make that choice willingly, McNair needs to force it on him.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

(Team played their hearts out, gotta love the effort but not enough.) We knew were going to a tough place to play, playing a good football team. We were right there for a victory, needed a big play (from the offense, defense or special teams) to get over the hump, had our chances but didn't get it done.

(What can you say about his progression?) It was impressive. To put him in that position with his first start, that was a tough call for me last week but to watch him handle the football team, we had no problems operating. I was impressed with how he handled himself, how he got ready to play and the plays he made. ... He bought himself time a couple of times. He has a lot of confidence in what he's doing. He'll continue to improve.

(General sense of what they(Chiefs D) were doing in the 4th that they weren't doing earlier?) They did some of those things earlier. When we lost our backs in the 2nd half, they'll come get you. If Case sees those blitzes a couple more times in his career, he beats them but that's part of growing up.

(Talk about how Arian leaving affected you?) We suited 2 RBs in half the games we played this year but it's a shock. It happened so quickly. Then we had the situation with Ben. It hurt us on the goal line. It had a big affect on us but we battled through that like we did through the football game.

(Work cut out to fill some jobs. How soon?) We could do it quickly. We have some issues. We have to rebuild at ILB. Tuggle will move outside. We got some roster spots open. Rick and I started that this morning. We need depth at LB and help for Joe.

(Cutting those three guys) It's difficult. People tend to think the decisions are made quickly. There are 5 months of work with these guys. Tough decisions but gotta go to work and make our team better and move forward.

(Moving Tuggle outside - what do you expect from him?) Throughout training camp, he played SAM. His initial background with us was at SAM. Braman will be backup WILL. Joe and Sharpton start inside.

(Reconsider using Brooks inside?) I don't think we'll go there. We got some players in mind. Mike Mohammed suited up and had an immediate impact on ST.

(Mike Mohammed in preseason was noticeable. Can he do more for you?) He definitely can. He and Elbert Mack, big impact on special teams. We need more young guys to contribute in that matter.

(Duane Brown?) We think he'll be fine. He needs both weeks to be ready for Indy. Our concerns are Ben and Arian.

(WRs involved early and often. What about that aspect of the game? Getting the wide-outs involved.) We were balanced yesterday. We did some things with Case, you saw we spread the field more. Everybody stepped up. When we're balanced like that, it's tougher to defend.

(3-4 wideout sets, pistol, shotgun, that's in Case's wheelhouse right?) We tried to formulate a game plan that he was comfortable with.

(Surprised Wade coached the game?) I told Wade you do what you think you need to do. We're here to support you. Wade said my dad would want me to coach. Sad for their family. Proud of Wade.

(Tate?) Doing better today. He's really sore. We do have a couple of weeks here. We'll evaluate ourselves, light workouts and then break.

(Ray Graham?) He's done a lot. Practiced extremely well. All he's done is improve. We also have our eyes set on a couple of situations. Not only RB help but need ST help. We need return, coverage abilities. If we suit 3 RBs, they have to be contributors on Sunday.

(Low hit on Case?) Good observation. We're gonna turn it in. We'll see what the league says.

(What can you tell us about Matt and when he might get out there?) He did get out and move around today. We'll see tomorrow. I would expect Matt to be a full participant next week. We're heading towards him being a full participant.

(Situation at hand, 5 game losing streak, 2-5. What's the mind frame here?) A lot of football to play but a lot of disappointment. If we play with the effort we did yesterday, no doubt we'll win our share of games. Starts with Indianapolis and winning in your division.

(Arian's hamstring?) We're fortunate in that we don't think it's severe. He'll be in rehab the rest of the week and we'll see next week. Fingers crossed.

(Brian Cushing, how do we get by?) It'll be tough but Sharpton and Joe will start inside. With Cush, you'll miss the leadership. The biggest thing is, we're thinking of Brian. He was playing at a high level. We feel for him. It's a tough blow but the doctors feel good about the repair and his return to football. They're talking 5-6 months and if anyone can come back quicker, it's Brian.

(Surgery?) Scheduling it as we speak. Could happen tomorrow or as late as Thursday morning.

(Keenum keeping his eyes down field.) It comes with his confidence and feeling the rush. Also starts with the receivers continuing to move knowing he can extend the play. It's something he's done his whole career.

(When you see what you saw yesterday, you took a shot on this guy as FA and saw his ability, but you never know how it will go until he gets out there. Reaction when he went out there?) I felt good in practice. He handled practice well. When I sat down with him in front of Matt and T.J., you know you're onto something because guys don't handle things that calm and that well and he did and Matt and T.J. did a good job help preparing. This guy believes in himself.

(Early attempt to Graham - what went wrong?) Garrett and Andre ran into each other. Case saw it. He was trying to buy himself time. Case saw it, put a lot of air on the ball so Garrett could free up but Case gave us a chance right there. That's a walk-in TD.

(Ed healthy enough to be all he can be?) He continues to work back from his hip injury. You're gonna continue to see them all play.

(Kareem Jackson playing at a high level) I agree. Kareem gets a lot of work because he works opposite Joseph.

(Do you feel like you got the guys and are capable of a run?) We're capable. We have some injuries but we're capable. We go in with a young QB, we had every opportunity to win the game. Just keep battlin', and if the ball bounce your way and anything can happen. If you're gonna make up ground, that's winning your division.

(One more time - how you plan to handle the QB situation?) Just evaluate the next 3 days. Matt is still coming back. I'd expect him on the field next week. I'm gonna take a look at Matt and Case (from this week) and do what's best for the team against Indianapolis and make a decision and go with it but I have to do that at a lot of spots.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

LOL Matty Schaub is going to be the starter.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Schaub:

Your health? When will you be back out there?

I'm feeling really good. Feeling close and as good as you can feel at this point in the season. ... It feels great.

Full participant next week?

I'll definitely be back. I'll easily be back.

Your take on the job? Has he told you anything?

I haven't had any conversations with coach over the last day or two. I'm the QB of this team. I'm gonna get healed up and get ready to roll next week.

#2312 J.R., Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

14. underrated015

underrated015 Member

FML!! Dude sit out n enjoy the checks.

15. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

lol if schaub starts the next game reliant is going to go nuts and not in a good way

16. HeyBudLetsParty

Can someone more knowledgeable then me evaluate DJ Swearingers play?

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Dont even get me started on Kubiak, the more a read what that idiot says the more pissed i get. That fool back when the texans were playing the ravens in the freakin playoffs with yates at qb and had plenty of time on the final drive and was workin it down the field and decides to throw hail marys. This dude does not get it, will not get it and is the laughing stock of the league and we as fans are helpless.

18. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

watching the first half i missed yesterday... newton is trash :( sigh

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

You gotta be ****ing kidding me.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Haha, I wouldn't expect him to say anything else.

"Well, yeah it's over for me. This is Case Keenum's team now."