1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Chiefs 10/20/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think Kubiak has have a long enough opportunity to show what he's capable of. He's at best and above average, at worst mediocre, coach. If the goal is a Super Bowl, he's not the guy who's going to get you there. He probably should've been fired in 2011 but then we made the playoffs. If the team is still showing improvement, they you take the chance that he can elevate himself as a coach. But if the team regresses and falls hard, then it seems like the last 2 seasons were the peak of our capabilities rather than a stepping stone to something greater.

After 8 years, I think we've seen the best of what Kubiak is capable of. We all know his faults. It's not like he's going to get better in year 9+. And if we're happy with occasional playoff appearances (maybe making it more often than not, definitely not every year) but not doing much once we get there, then Kubiak may still be your guy. But if we're looking to consistently be the "elite" team we at times thought we were then he's not that guy.

2. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Sigh...again, the brief turn around by this organization after years of sucking and mediocrity were not impressive enough turn arounds to warrant making a good case for Kubiak being the right coach to take the organization to the next level which is ultimately championship contention. You know what, I wouldn't be shocked if Colts make Super Bowl this year. Look at the teams they have beaten (49ers, Seahawks and on the brink of beating unbeaten Broncos). Texans have consistently crapped the bed against elite teams under Kubiak. Its time to move on.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not arguing that he is a good coach or we should keep him really.

I just don't like when people try to discredit the success he's had, at least let the guy have that. I don't see why he can't get even credit for taking a team that was laughed at into relevancy and then not even get credit for the past two years. People do a lot to just discredit him.

I agree, I don't think he is the guy to take us there.

But if even he is good enough to turn a team around in one season then another coach is.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not arguing for given him another chance...just that the idea that we are done for and have no chance at contending again in the immediate future...

I bought up him turning it around because it's proof that even Kubiak who is at best above average can turn it around...then another coach could do so just as well.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He didn't turn it around. Wade's defense did. An undrafted FA did.

Jack Del Rio has had as much success than Kubiak too

1 person likes this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Wade is part of his coaching staff.

Foster is a result of the ZBS that Kubiak prides and has ALWAYS had success with running the ball no matter where he goes. It was Kubiak who kept Foster on the team and gave him a chance.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

2 weeks to sit on this one.

Gonna get quiet around here. :p

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Wade was pretty much a forced pickup after hiring and defending some very incompetent defensive coaches. The defensive players drafted were Wade's picks, and I can't imagine Kubiak had much say on that side of the ball after the disaster of 2010.

9. Cannonball

I think he's an OK coach. Like I said, above average at best. On the cusp of being good. And of course he does deserve credit for being at the helm when the Texans finally got up and running and became relevant. But OK coaches don't, and shouldn't, get 9 years with the same team. Great coaches can last a long time without changing jobs. But for everybody else, there comes a time when things get too comfortable and familiar and things stop progressing because everything's been done before. The coaches have said everything. The players have heard everything. And the likelihood of a coach producing better results at this point is unlikely. The team needs different leadership to give new perspective. Give them things they haven't heard or make them think about things in ways they haven't been asked to before so that they can continue to grow. And for that reason, Kubiak may go to another team and do better than what he's done here. But I think he's maxed out what he can do here.

10. Cannonball

Oooooo.

After 8 seasons, Del Rio had a record of 73-63 . Kubiak is currently 61-58 in his 8th season.

Ouch.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

I guess I was wrong. Del Rio was better.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I've never seen or heard proof that it was forced or how much Kubiak went along with it. For all we know he was as ready to get rid of Bush after that season and Smith+McNair suggested Wade and Kubiak could have agreed right along with them. There wasn't any kind of clash like Garret has had with Jerruh or anything to say that it was something that was forced on Kubiak.

Also there is nothing wrong with Wade having such huge impact on who is drafted and control of the entire defense. Head coaches delegate a ton.

I agree with all this.

I think a change at HC, shoring up on the line a bit could make a world of difference for the Texans.

Case being the huge unknown is also a pretty big difference. So they can turn the ship around pretty quickly, it's not like they are the Jaguars who have no signature players.

13. Cannonball

Fun fact: This was Gary's 119th game as HC. Of the 75 coaches in the history of the NFL to have the privilege of coaching at least that many games, nearly 70% of them have a higher winning percentage than Kubiak.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

But only 10% of those have Kube's moral fiber.

15. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Laughed at into relevancy? Every year I read NFL and ESPN reports picking their Texans as wildcard playoff spots, or surprise division winners.. and every year we under achieved. It wasn't til Phillips came that this team sniffed the playoffs.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You answered it for me...they were laughed at during the Capers, Carr, Casserly era...They were a joke of a franchise and Kubiak made them a relevant team.

They actually sniffed the playoffs before Wade came around.

I think winning the division twice had a lot more to do with Manning leaving the division than Wade coming around.

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

And with not near the talent.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

I think you just destroyed your own argument.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Tough loss to sit and think about for two weeks. Ugh.

Lost my voice yelling at the tv. Wish I stated Hopkins on my team Lol.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not really. They still won the division...

My argument is it's silly to continue to try and ignore his success as a coach. You are what your record says you are and if you are going to trash him for the bad seasons you should be fair enough to praise him for the successful seasons too.