1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Bernie Sanders for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 19, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

To say he went after Democrat voters after starting his campaign saying Mexicans send mostly rapists and that we should ban Muslims and tweeting infographics created by white supremacists that had false data about Black violence is so absurd. The dude had the most divisive "Democrats are evil" rhetoric of any presidential candidate in modern American history.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude I hate to break this to you but a lot of democrats responded to that message.

I have no idea where you are going with this, Trump definitely went after an appealed to Democrats.

I agree he is the most divisive but that does not change the fact he went after and got some Democrats.

3. fchowd0311

If the Democrats wjochear that message and respond to it well, then they are effectively Republicans in the cultural divide.

When I mean the Repubicans don't pander to Democrat voters, I mean the urban minority culture. Unlike, the Democrats who have to pay lip service to insular small rural communities who say stuff like this:

Republican politicans are well known for making blanketed generalized comments about urban centers and their "bad culture" such as Trump literally calling American cities "shitholes". Imagine if Obama said something like "A oversized meth den" when describing Kentucky? He wouldn't. If he was going to highlight drug addiction in rural communities, he would attempt to use the most empathic language possible and not use it in the context of an insult.

That's the difference between both parties. One doesn't have to pander at all to the urban minority voter while the other side plays it safe where actual politicans of clout on that side will never say insulting language about those communities.

Trump's populist economic rhetoric about trade deals benefits rural white communities the most. Of course rural white voters hate the trade deals. It's been the background noise rhetoric for every AM conservative radio station for the past 2 decades. It's one of the main reasons blue collared white workers hate Clinton. Of course Trump is going to pander that message.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Rural white communities have democrats and he pandered to those.

Once again i have no idea what you are arguing here, my only point is that Trump did pander to democrats and he will try and do the same.

I think he will not get as much traction because they will realize he is what is he is.

jcf likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

There are many "everything but registered" Republican"Democrats in Southern and Midwestern states that never bothered to change their voter registration to GOP since the "Southern Strategy".

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok what about Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisc?

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would say that racism, immigration, and trade/protectionism can play in the same lane at times. Immigration and brown people are to blame for you people losing your jobs.

I clearly remember Trump completely adoption Bernie talking points after the primaries for various reasons that felt were mostly about trying to create divisions in the voter base and also Trumps lack of originality in politics. He was clear about protecting social security, made common statements about healthcare for all, etc. It’s just he was full of BS, and he layered all his talking points with hard right racism.

fchowd0311 and jiggyfly like this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Polls are looking decent for Bernie. Polling at his highest since late April of 2019, getting distance between Warren as the clear #2 behind Biden.

Tied for first in Iowa in the latest CBS poll, leading across 3 poll average.

First in New Hampshire in the latest CBS poll, leading across 3 poll average.

First in lastest California poll, only a 0.2% behind 1st in 3 poll average

Not looking too terrible for Nevada or South Carolina either in recent polls.

Going to be a interesting race, very curious if Biden's support will be as strong as his polling suggests come time to vote, I have a feeling he could do worse then expected, and that Bernie could do better then expected considering the passion of Bernie's fan base, and the lack of passion of Joe's.

Yung-T and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think you are right , Biden could actually perform significantly lower than he has polled thus far as I could see many of his supporters just staying home - Really , who's "excited" to vote for that guy ? His best attribute is he isn't Trump ....

This nomination is Bernie's to lose from the looks of things.

FrontRunner likes this.
  10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Uh oh. Castro endorsing Warren and not Bernie.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Are the Bernie Bros gonna put down the bong and not eat that last bag of Doritos?

And if Bernie doesn't win who gets the blame.

Why is Biden actually gaining in the polls?

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

peleincubus and ThatBoyNick like this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

see, you must not be one of glynch’s ordinary Americans. Anyone but Burnie is BAD, very bad, for ordinary Americans.

by the way, would you consider yourself a dreaded comfortable moderate?

jcf likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

I will not vote for Bernie Sanders in the primary and I will not vote for him in the general election if he is the nominee.

jcf, astros123 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Bernie scares me...

He's the political Trump... He knows how to play the game...

T_Man

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

well, except he’s not a complete narcissist. Whatever else about him, Bernie cares about people.

I don’t see much real danger or divisiveness in his presidency. He wouldn’t be that effective w Congress, and he’s too old for the job, but I’m very comfortable voting for him over a grifter like trump.

17. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

I would say Bernie probably has the most integrity of all the candidates and whatever scares you about his agenda is proably not going anywhere without support in the house and senate which is highly unlikely.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Have you ever given any Bernie supporter **** for not voting Hillary in the general? Genuinely curious, I have no Idea.

Corrosion likes this.
  19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is interesting that even after seeing four years of Trump some self proclaimed moderate Democrats would never vote for the Democratic candidate if he is for things like Medicare for All, and tuititon free college and or trade school or apprentice for all.

#779 glynch, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    ThatBoyNick likes this.
  20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Explain your rationale please. What this country needs the most right now is some good ol fashion 'tegrity.

B-Bob and ThatBoyNick like this.