1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Bernie Sanders for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 19, 2019.

1. dmoneybangbang

You mean the media talking about Bernie and his plans?

Bernie is more populist than policy wonk from my point of view.

Fair enough, the way I see it Warren is playing the game. She knows that if she wins it all she will need support from moderates in Congress/voters to implement her ideas.

My biggest fear with Bernie is he wins it all and essentially is useless since he has no coalition to push through his ideas. Same with Yang.

2. dmoneybangbang

Well naturally hindsight reveals more information... The bolded is more hyperbole.

Things went pretty south after Mission Accomplished in 2003 and the media was all over it.

... so now you know what stock shareholders think?

Explain to me how the “status quo” impacts revenue and subscriptions? It seems to me legacy media has been undergoing disruptions like many other industries. How does “promoting the status quo” get your more revenue?

I’ve benefitted from the status quo... I have relevant skills and live in a relevant place.

I guess I can’t be trusted!!

I mean sure, Fox/CNN is very different than the Intercept.... but there’s a hell of a lot more media than just Fox and CNN. NYT and WAPO are in the same boat as CNN?

So because CNN is getting Fox News anchor (more conservative), that’s a bad thing?

So it seems you are just upset these outlets aren’t your level of progressive? You’re upset these outlets don’t share your view about the establishment?

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

https://www.thenation.com/article/media-lobbying-complex/

I suggest reading this article. It's lengthy but it has some good examples of what in referring it.

Anyways, the status quo they want to keep is the corporate influence on politicians from donations and lobbying. That's how they maximize profits. They have a large hand to play that allows giant corporations like Amazon to pay no Federal Income tax. Why would shareholders want that to change? What incentive do they have to lessen the influence and power that corporations and the wealthy have over our politicians? We as middle class Americans have an incentive. They don't.

4. dmoneybangbang

Good article but still doesn’t back up your statements. More below.

Still not giving a good explanation of how shareholders benefit from this, seems like the pundits benefit the most.

Like I said, which you didn’t address, is the disruption to “legacy media”. What about NYT and WaPo?

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you don't know when the video aired you just want to continue to b**** and moan about how bad Bernie is being treated.

So you have nothing to refute the fact that this was indeed the last poll but you have an issue because it was too old.

I don't need to catch up because I already lapped you.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

They don't find it acceptable they just don't believe its true.

Your whole argument is based on the bias you have against the media.

Can you explain why the media had so much to do with Bernies success in 2016 and now they are they are biased against him?

Bernie was only 2nd to Trump in how much free media exposure he got.

DC pundits would still be pundits no matter who is president, that really made no sense what so ever.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You do know that Greenwald is a frequent guest on Fox news right?

Since when is the Intercept the bastion of integrity on news?

Because they agree with you?

I almost missed the tidbit about the shareholders as if they are thinking up corporate policy.,

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

We as middle class Americans?

Now you'r speaking for all of them?

And you really think no middle class Americans are stockholders?

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Dude, I know when the video aired.

You can look at the tweets and know when it aired.

You can look at the replies for evidence when it aired.

Someone took a screenshot on the same day that MSNBC had the more recent poll compared to the CNN poll for evidence of the weeks long poll CNN used to prop up Klobuchar.

CNN tweeted it on their own damn page after it aired.

All you had to do was click and scroll.

This is simple stuff. I shouldn't have to jump into the dunce cap with you for these silly exchanges... It's not fair to me.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What on earth would "regular Republicans" like about Bernie ? He's the anti-Republican.

I guess there is one thing .... they might see him as the candidate least able to get anything done and no legislation is better than bad legislation.

But really , what of the Bernie agenda is it that Republican voters like ? Free healthcare ? Free college ? Free Housing ? Increased taxes ? Gun control ?! Green New Debt ? Expanding DACA , Breaking up ICE and citizenship for illegals?

https://berniesanders.com/issues/

I see absolutely nothing that Republicans are going to support.

11. fchowd0311

Not the ones that are selected as board members and have a vote in the executive decisions of the company. Don't pretend your shares in a company have the same clout as a board member's.

The ones who hold that clout don't represent the middle class' interests. They appreciate the status quo of corporate lobbying and campaign donations having disproportionate influence on our Congress relative to the individual voter.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Republicans want affordable healthcare

Republicans like his stances on trade

Republicans like his foreign policy positions

Republicans and Progressives don't like the media.

There is a reason Bernie polls well in the red states Trump won.

There is a reason he was getting cheers at the town hall he did on Fox news.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok if you know, name the date?

Simple.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You did not say board members.

You need to tone down the hyperbole and stop painting groups with a broad brush.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

Dear lord dude. What do you think I meant by corporations having undue influence on Congress?

"Dude who invests 10,000 dollars in stocks and has a 401k"

Or

"Majority share holders and corporate executives"

It's almost as if you are concern trolling here. Painting with a broad brush? ****ing please. You seriously would have to go out of your way to be outraged and assume I'm referring to your average Joe with a 401k. Where in my language would you assume I'm referring to those people rather than people with actual clout in executive decisions of major media companies like Disney?

#735 fchowd0311, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Fair enough .... but what about the rest of those policies the typical Republican hates ? Why vote for Bernie when Trump gives them more , much more of what they like , particularly on the above topics where Bernie is the Anti-Republican.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You did not say corporations you said shareholders.

Its not my fault thats what you posted.

You are the one talking about the american middle class and shareholders.

Talk about concern trolling.

18. fchowd0311

Quote the parts where I brought up "American Middle Class". How does it fit in the context?

And I hope you have the basic common courtesy to assume when I mean shareholders of major corporations and their undue influence on Congress, it would be the shareholders with clout in executive decisions. That's a very basic assumption here.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The only thing Trump gives republicans is racism. Republicans politicians use racism to trick conservatives into voting against what is beneficial to them. It's worked for many election cycles.

Trump has been terrible for the coal/steel workers and farmers he promised he would save. He has been terrible with trade because the whole China stuff causing the government to bail out the farmers. He has gutted Obamacare and welfare programs that many of these people depend on. He said he would drain the swamp, of course he hasn't.

These people see that Trump is a fraud.

The only thing Trump is good at is hate. Trump has given them nothing.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Gun control
    Tax increases
    Expansion of DACA
    Free college
    Free Housing
    Green New Debt

Those are all top of the list of Bernie's campaign and against GOP policy / ideals.

Those are all things Trump has opposed in his first term.

Those are all big ticket items for Republicans.

You expect me to believe Republicans are going to vote for Bernie on healthcare , foreign policy and media and ignore all of the above ?