1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official 2008 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Dolphins Will Take Long With the First Pick

DAVIE, FLORIDA (TICKER) —The Miami Dolphins announced on Tuesday that they will select Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long with the first pick in the upcoming NFL draft.

The Dolphins made the annoucement official during a news conference at the team’s headquarters.

The NFL Network reported that Long received a five-year deal worth $57.5 million, including $30 million in guaranteed money. The guarantee is comparable to what Oakland Raiders quarterback Jarmarcus Russell received as last year’s No. 1 pick.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Damn...what a deal for Long. Now, if they can just find a qb for him to protect.

I'm moving on Saturday and am praying the Time Warner guy gets there in time for at least the Texans pick. I estimated that it should happen sometime between 5 and 6.

3. Lil Pun

Even though they have signed him, watch them still take their 10 minutes to announce the damn pick. :mad:

4. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

I wonder where Matt Ryan is gonna fall. He was at the top of a lot of draft boards a couple of months ago. I'm guessing he goes to Atlanta.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm hoping one of the 1st round left tackles fall to Houston's pick. Jeff Otah or Ryan Clady...unlikely, but I think that would have the biggest long-term positive impact to this team.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Chris Williams is the LT that the Texans are targeting, Otah wouldn't fit into the ZB scheme.

7. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

The big question that I see is where is McFadden going, and what will the Patriots do with their pick?

Do the Texans pick Johnathan Stewart?

8. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

...and they'll stil use up all the allotted time before making the selection.

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Man, I thought for sure Howie's kid was going to be the 1st pick. From what I understand, I thought he was much more of a can't miss prospect while Jake is not projected to be that great LT that you would look for this high in the draft.

10. Lil Pun

Great minds think alike. Check out post #3. :D

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I'll predict Ryan falls to #8 and the Ravens. Atlanta can have any other QB they want with all their second round picks.

My dream deal is they trade 2 #2's back to the Texans to jump back into the first for Brohm. Buuuut, there's really not a QB starved team picking behind us to make them want to jump. They would really only need to jump ahead of the 32nd pick, Miami to have their pick of the QB litter sans Ryan.

But realistically can anybody believe Ryan is more of a sure thing than the next 4 top rated QB's. Flacco is a project but Henne, Brohm and even Booty could easily have as good an NFL career.

For the Texans I will predict either Chris Williams, Jeff Otah or Brandon Alpert.
    Dull, I know. It'd be a lot more exciting to take Jonathan Stewart.

For the Cowboys I'll predict: Limas Sweed and Felix Jones.

For Tennessee I'll predict: Jonathon Stewart.

#11 Dubious, Apr 22, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  12. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

The Texans are allowing tailgating at the annual draft day party at Reliant. You can print off free tickets to the event at www.houstontexans.com.

Here is more info on the tailgating:

13. danny317

danny317 Member

what ever happened to baker LT from USC? did he have bad workouts? character problems?

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I saw this at lunch...Never thought Bill would do this, but he must be the real deal...Bill is such a great talent evaluator...

15. Dubious

Baker is solid but may not get much better than he is right now
    (will probably play in the league 10 years) He's projecting in the mid 30's.

The Texans scheme looks for more agility and the ability to get blocks into the second level.

#15 Dubious, Apr 22, 2008
  16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Dubious,

Who do you think that my Broncos will draft?

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

QUESTION: Now that the Dolphins picked someone, and this far ahead in the game of what is the NFL draft... does it mean that the SECOND team can make their selection and SIGN someone?

I know that it can be possible, but is there any rule that stops the St. Louis Rams from announcing their pick BEFORE the draft, and then subsequently have more teams pick theirs?

Has this ever happened? :confused:
    Uhhh... no... IMPATIENT MINDS will say the same iSHT. :p I kid.

Manny, think Offensive Tackle from Boise State: Ryan Clady. I think he will help the depleted OL of your Broncos.

18. Dubious

Ryan Clady is the consensus projection. Seems right to me.

90% of all mock draft picks turn out to be wrong though. (because if someone goes off the reservation at 3 or 4 it effects all the picks below)

That will be especially true this year because there is no real set order for the top 5 or 6 rated players. I mean Darren McFadden might go #3,4,5,or #6.

Here's a draft muncher that averages a bunch of mocks ....but look, it's already wrong after 1 pick!

Actually the Muncher shows Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie as the consensus for Denver but I've mostly heard Clady as a replacement for Lepsis.

#18 Dubious, Apr 22, 2008
  19. gucci888

McFadden seems to be the wild card, you can see Al Davis going for him even though they have way bigger needs but I also don't see him getting past the Jets.

The Patriots could go a number of ways as well, their LB core is old so a guy like Keithe Rivers would make a lot of sense, it would be scary should a guy like Gholston fall to them.

20. gucci888

I've seen Chris Williams to the Broncos in a lot of the mocks, hopefully this won't be the case cause I really want to pick up Williams at #18.