1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official 2008 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Apr 22, 2008.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I think Matt Ryan will be the biggest bust of this draft. That dude had that one game.

Call me bias but I feel Alief product Tony Hills Jr. will be the biggest steal of the draft class.

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Thanks SwoLy and Dubious.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If I had to pick a Longhorn that will be a steal, I'd go with Derek Lokey. He was having a good year until he broke his leg and like Robison the year before, he is an athletic freak. At pro day, he had 38 bench press reps (tops in the entire class), a 36 vertical jump, and a 9.4 broad jump. Lokey will be a steal somewhere in the late rounds.

I would love for the Texans to pick him up to rotate with Okoye and TJ (hopefully his replacement).

4. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Matt Ryan is a FORCE! Atlanta needs him bad. You can't go another season with Joey Harrington and Chris Redman. That's almost as bad as KC's Huard and Croyle.

5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I would love for the Texans to pick up Tony Hills Jr with the 3rd or 4th round pick.

He kinda remins me of Eric Winston. Both were highly recruited TE coming out of high school, both suffered knee injuries, & both switched to OT. Excpet Hills has a longer reach and is more athletic. Plus, I don't like using a first rounder on an OT unless your picking in the top 5 and there's a Joe Thomas, Ogden, or Pace available.

6. junglerules

junglerules Member

I never was that high on Tony Hills at UT. He drew some acclaim, but I guess I never felt the same faith in him that I do in some of the Horns' previous OL who won awards. One Longhorn sleeper that one website was talking about was Nate Jones. He had a great senior year, and while not the quickest guy, he has great hands. Not sure I think he'll get drafted, but it was interesting to read some national pub for him. (I think it was sporting news or CBS sportsline where I saw them talking about sleepers.)

Still curious to see where Limas goes. He used to work with my aunt and uncle at Blue Bell ice cream in Brenham, Texas! Has he passed Kelly on most boards? I've seen lots of mocks with him, Jackson, Kelly, and the Mich. St. wr all going in round 1.

7. gucci888

I was pretty disappointed with Hills for the most part last season. He had some issues with holding his blocks and well the O-Line just wasn't that good this season. I was reading a blurb that Hills held a private workout (since his leg wasn't fully healed during the combine and UT's pro-day) but supposedly Hills didn't look all that good.

I wouldn't mind picking up Hills in the 5th but he'd be a reach in the 3rd and possible the 4th. Should a guy like Clady (unlikely) or Chirs Williams be available at #18, the Texans will pick him up.

8. gucci888

Sweed could very well go to the Titans in the 1st. Kelly's horrible forty time might drop him into the 2nd. Some are saying the Cowboys could pick up Jackson with one of their 1st rounders. Devin Thomas will probably be the 1st WR off the board.

9. gucci888

KC traded Jared Allen to the Vikes for #17, #73, and #82.

This isn't that great of the new for the Texans as the Chiefs are in desperate need of DE and OL. They'll probably pick up Gholston or Long at #5 and whatever OT at #17. Should Clady or Chris Williams fall, KC will pick them up in front of us for sure now.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

not good news on the KC trade. I'd almost prefer to see us trade down in the first and try to pick up a second rounded somehow.

Let's take OL and CB with those two picks, then take DL in the 3rd

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I wonder about him too, but you gotta admit those last 5 minutes against VaTech were incredible. It was a dog of a game until then.

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The good news is we can start anyone of these 17 guys, so if someone will take Ryan we'll be fine with our pick:

1 Long
    2 Long
    3 Dorsey
    4 Gholston
    5 McFadden
    6 Ellis
    7 Rivers
    8 McKelvin
    9 Harvey
    10 Rogers-Cromartie
    11 Mendenhall
    12 Jenkins
    13 Otah
    14 Williams
    15 Talib
    16 Albert
    17 Merlin

If you want to make it 18 just add Jonathon Stewart. Though I think starting the season with Green and Brown healthy makes RB less of need. But he is going to be an NFL badass.

#32 Dubious, Apr 23, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Clady won't last to 12. Now that Long is gone he's the #1 Offensive Lineman in the draft.

14. Dubious

Well, I think Clady, Chris Williams, Jeff Otah and Brandon Alpert are pretty equal in their general evaluations so just pick one. Each might be perceived a little differently by the system of the evaluatiing team. Denver like Houston values agility. I think someone like Gosder Cherilus might get a high grade from a team like Dallas that likes mountainous maulers. To my amateur eye he reminds me of Larry Allen.

Hey I left Clady off my list of 17 above. I feel real good about the Texan's pick now!

1 Long
    2 Long
    3 Dorsey
    4 Gholston
    5 McFadden
    6 Ellis
    7 Rivers
    8 McKelvin
    9 Clady
    10 Harvey
    11 Rogers-Cromartie
    12 Mendenhall
    13 Jenkins
    134Otah
    15 Williams
    16 Talib
    17 Albert
    18 Merling

I actually know the least about Merling, but I have Babin like suspicions about him being a tweener. But I don't think Ryan will last past 7 anyway.
    Talk on the NFL network last night was that Atlanta's owner likes Ryan as a solid citizen to rebuild the franchises's image. And their real target, Jake Long is now gone.

#34 Dubious, Apr 23, 2008
  15. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Well we just need one team to make one of those bonehead shocker selections that is made every year in the top 15 and we will get a nice player if we stay at 18.

Someone is bound to make a bonehead move... maybe Cinn. or even the Jets?
    I love it when the Jets take a reach and the whole place goes balistic.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Bengals are looking to take a WR, but I don't think they would at 9 if they can't move down or trade Chad Johnson for a 1st.

17. Dubious

No not crazy...I don't have Ryan in the list and I'm pretty sure he will go #3 to Atlanta or #8 (I think I said 7) to Baltimore so on that list we end up with Albert.

Otah, Albert, Chris Williams; any one would be a fine addition to the OL.

Talib might actually have the most immediate impact though.

I think they will end up taking the Washinton offer by the time they pick.
    No sense in not playing the market till then.....jock sniffing Jerry Jones could always be had for one of his #1's if he has the cap room for Ocho and Pacman.

#37 Dubious, Apr 23, 2008
  18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Well, I thought THIS was a good place to ask my question, but... no one knows, I guess? [RQUOTER]QUESTION: Now that the Dolphins picked someone, and this far ahead in the game of what is the NFL draft... does it mean that the SECOND team can make their selection and SIGN someone?

I know that it can be possible, but is there any rule that stops the St. Louis Rams from announcing their pick BEFORE the draft, and then subsequently have more teams pick theirs?

Has this ever happened? :confused:[/RQUOTER]

Asked in the first page.

19. gucci888

There is a rumor that the Rams and Jets have talked about trading picks so the Jets can pick up Ryan before Atlanta does.

Your list is interesting in that we could technically use any one of those players. I would like to stay away from Merling or Talib if possible.

20. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What do they project the Colts do?