1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obamacare Replacement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wizkid83, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The reason I replied that way is that Trump has been pushing hard for Ryan's bill. Besides, the man doesn't have any shame.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Haven't seen Giddyup here for a while, wonder how he feels about this issue.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No matter what happens it means Trump has lied and broken his word. If the bill passes, Trump breaks his word to bring insurance that is better and cheaper to everyone. This bill does not lower premiums, does not cover everyone, and isn't better than what we already had.

If the bill doesn't pass then Trump breaks his promise to repeal and replace Obamacare.

Trump breaks his word no matter what happens with this bill.

My prediction is that it passes the house, and doesn't work in it's current form in the Senate.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Amazing job!

[​IMG]

6. NewRoxFan

7. pirc1

8. NewRoxFan

9. pirc1

We will get a cheaper and better health care insurance bill than the Obama care.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It'll be a BIG BEAUTIFUL BILL

(Where your insurance might not cover you being able to go to the F-ing Hospital or having a Baby)

But its going to be GREAT.

Also... Because Obama

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Just more magical thinking from the Republicans. We can reduce taxes and not increase the government deficits. We keep giving tax breaks to the rich aka known as "job creators" for about a year lol. We can have folks on minimum wage self fund their healthcare by expanding health savings accounts etc.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This is one thing about the democrat approach to health insurance that annoys me. If you can actually create a robust and transparent market, customer choice would dictate that insurance companies cover the things people want covered and you don't need Big Brother telling them what has to be in the policies. Obamacare took an over-regulation approach, probably because they were afraid (and maybe rightly) the market would not be transparent and robust. My point being regarding Trumpcare that we shouldn't need to have a list of required and optional coverages. If it needs to have requirements like that and can't be dynamic with customer demands, the market is dysfunctional and we need something different. I'm worried about a bunch of aspects of this new approach, but I'm not scared about the government possibly allowing insurance companies flexibility in what goes in their products. That might be the only good thing about it.

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Vote Delayed. The perception that Trump is a "deal maker" does not translate from his Realestate / construction background to more sophisticated and nuanced negotiations.

This will likely become a huge issue in the house primaries for GOP representatives. Every one of them is going to have to answer how they didn't have any idea how to change healthcare after talking about getting rid of Obamacare for 7 years. They aren't even subject to a filibuster to the type of legislation they are proposing. I don't think they'll lose the majority in the house or senate in 2018 but you could see a lot of different republican representatives who win seats in the midterms.

14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Man, how can you be so wrong about so many things so frequently?

15. NewRoxFan

The Trump/republican healthcare plan...

[​IMG]

16. dmoneybangbang

While I agree in principle, but will that actually work? Should women be charged higher cost simply because they were born a woman and therefore have much higher reproductive and mental health costs? I think being able to opt out of prescription coverage or wellness services is a good idea.

Why haven't car insurance companies try that approach? "You can choose a plan that only covers being rear-ended". Seriously asking.

17. NewRoxFan

So much win in this picture...

[​IMG]

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

In no small part because this perception was,

wait for it,

surprise:

a giant ****ing fraud.

19. Major

Major Member

We had this system prior to Obamacare - lots of different policies all covering different things. It worked in a purely theoretical way - except that people would have insurance they thought was good but then discover a new need down the road and it not be covered. That's why everyone hated their insurance.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not saying there shouldn't be rules. I think there definitely should be. One of the things I'd want to watch out for would be discriminatory practices that, for example, would make products better for men than women. But Obamacare was highly prescriptive in what particular features products can have, and I think that's a mistake.

On car insurance, it strikes me as the most customer-friendly, transparent, and robust end of the insurance industry. If some sold rear-end-only insurance, probably no one would buy it. Just like no one in his right mind should buy a policy that doesn't cover hospitalization.

Yes, that was dysfunctional too. The reason people bought worthless insurance is because the health insurance industry is byzantine and confusing and not transparent or customer-centric. If we can orient the market in a way that people understand what they are buying and make truly informed decisions, market forces can work. I know -- that's easier said than done.