1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Rudy, No Steve.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Earl Cureton, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Earl Cureton

Earl Cureton Contributing Member

I was listening to Matt Jackson on 610 and about 25 minutes ago, he mentioned there was some big news to come out of today's practice for the Rox. Apparently, Steve Francis is quoted as saying if Rudy T. is not the coach next season, he (Francis) will not be in a Rockets uniform.

I don't know if Steve has heard anything from the higher ups regarding a coaching change and acted upon it. But Matt posed an interesting question. Would you trade the Franchise this summer if he refused to work under an Avery Johnson, Mike Dunleavey, Jeff Van Gundy, etc... or do we not even need to worry about this since Rudy will be back and see the Rockets through another season? Either way, it's gonna be a sweet offseason fo' sho' :cool:

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Oh boy. This is just what we need. Sounds like posturing or sticking up for the coach to me.

3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

i may be reading this the wrong way, but is it possible that rudy won't be fired, but just won't be back because of health reasons... this would make larry the big cheese. francis probably has negative feelings toward larry, doesn't want to play a season under him, and would rather be traded.

hahaha. that would be funny. it would say a lot about larry.

4. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Wow. That is loyal. Sure. Rudy can remain our head coach. But God. Please get rid of Larry Smith and Boylen and those other so called coaches. The only guy I like is Keith Jones. He is a trainer and I just like him. But the rest need to move to the office or need to go. There are many other good intelligent high school and college and NBA coaches that are better than our assistant coaches. We need some better coaching.

BUT ARE YOU SURE STEVE FRANCIS SAID THAT?

5. timm

timm Member

Is Troy Barros making a rebirth.

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Doesn't Francis have some basketballs to kick around?

7. New Jack

New Jack Member

Demanding the trade out of Vancouver.

Rumors of not re-signing if Ming was drafted

If Rudy goes, he wants to be traded.

Nice that's he's loyal and all, but please Steve, enough with the ultimatums. You're not Michael Jordan.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

9. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

yep, heard it on Fox26 news. Francis said something like "he cant play for another coach..it would be like starting all over..he can't do that."

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

What a whiny b!tch.

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

If true, he might be expressing the general sentiment of the Team!

12. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

He's just saying that as a testament to how much he likes RudyT. I don't think we need to take it literally. Quite frankly, given his contract and all, even if Rox mgmt were to install a new coach, Francis would have to just deal with it. Even though he may be "the franchise" he still doesn't have more pull than what CD has in store for this club.

:p

theSAGE

13. Texas Stoke

Francis also said something like "he doesnt want Les to break up the team", "he hope Les takes that into consideration"

im not sh!ttin you

14. Texas Stoke

I agree but if he's trying to give Les a hint then he's pushing it. Francis hasnt really done anything for this Franchise. He hasnt earned the right to make demands. Francis is no Hakeem...but hell, even Hakeem was nearly traded to Orlando for thinking he was above managment.

15. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. Band Geek Mobster

kidrock,
    The man kicked the ball out of pure frustration. At least he showed some emotion, I imagine if he didn't vent in any way, you'd be b****ing and moaning and claiming that he obviously doesn't care since he doesn't show any on-the-court emotion.

To Every Anti-Rudy Poster:
    Who should we hire in place of Rudy? You can't name a coach any better than him that's available as far as I'm concerned. The closest guy might be Van Gundy, and even that guy thinks Rudy is an excellent coach.

How long have you been a Rockets fan?

Remember all of the injuries the Rockets had last year? Did you want Jones to be fired back then, or was he still cool back then?

This assistant bashing is a joke...can you name any assistants that would be better than the ones we currently have and that we can actually acquire?

If anything, this lull Post-Rudy does nothing but show how important he is to the team.

17. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Uhh...then what about this year? There weren't that many injuries. And he is a nice guy. Everyone around the league likes him. Fine. Fire him too! There are plenty of other trainers.

But fine. Do you actually like watching the Rockets struggle to score? I know...there aren't thousands of coaches that are available. But sure, there has to be some coaches that at least know how to run a normal offense with at least a little bit of motion and passing. Not just iso all day. It won't work anymore. We can keep all the assistant coaches, but we need to add some good ones. We can have 24 of them. Doesn't matter. We just need some or some more coaches that can improve our team. It's already been forever since we made the playoffs. Yeah...patience.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Of course Steve wants Rudy back as coach. The guy lets him do whatever he wants out there on the floor. God forbid Les brings in a disciplinarian who actually demands Steve pass the ball and play defense. If anything, his "ultimatum" makes me wanna see a coaching change even more.

19. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

That's very insightful. Sometimes getting "too comfortable" leaves us less willing to accept constructive criticism. Maybe that's what has happenned here. RudyT is such a good "player's coach" that his players take advantage of his good humor.

:p

theSAGE

20. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

For everybody reading this... I'm curious to know, how wedded is the average fan to Steve Francis being a Rocket??? In a strange way, I have to admit, but I am biased toward seeing him be a Rocket for as many years coming.

:D

theSAGE