1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Rudy, No Steve.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Earl Cureton, Apr 11, 2003.

1. rocketsball2003

6 rings???? did he play for the bulls and not tell anyone??? or are you saying that the western finals counts as a ring?? if the ladder is what your saying shouldnt you say 7 because he did win the eastern champ finals as well... remember back in the mid 90s??? oh thats right your just being dumb, nevermind:rolleyes:

2. Playercentral

Playercentral Member

Would you like salt with that?
    :p

3. We're Back

We're Back Member

The thing that people ignore when they say that a lot of this is not Rudy's fault because so many of our players appear to be uncoachable is that Rudy played a large part in signing these "uncoachable" players to big money contracts. Ever since his and CD's power in the organization has grown (i.e. after the two Championships almost 10 friggin years ago) everything has snowballed downhill. I dare you to prove me wrong....

4. story_teller

story_teller Member

Yep. Francis', @ least from my viewpoint, intentions were good; he's owning up to his and other players mistakes on the team and doesn't want ppl looking for scapegoats on the coaching staff. But, him possibly threatning to leave or whatever if a change is made with the coaches makes it too easy for others to flip what he said to "Francis being the selfish, whining, b**** he was on draft day again." Ppl won't even care what his intentions are, just that he is trying to force the hand of the org.

Could've used a better way showing his support for Rudy T, Mean, and the rest of the staff.

5. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

I heard a rumar that Van Gundy will be the new head coach of Rockets next season.

I don't care it is true or not. We will not know it until maybe July, or August.

Since many people mentioned this guy in many threads about the new coach candidate, could anybody tell me somthing about him?
    I just want to know whether he is a "proper" coach for Yao Ming.

6. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I agree, Some guys talked Les into signing Moochie Norris for 6 freaking years. I mean right there is enough reason to demote some asses to do scouting trips in Sudan for the summer.

7. Franchize3

Franchize3 Member

This isn't loyalty, its guilt (for not deserving all that damn contract money).

By the way, isn't Stevie implying that the team played the way they wanted to, and didn't listen to the coaches (therefore, justifying why the coaches shouldn't be fired)?

Yeah, Steve. But, if the coaches can't get you to perform, they should be fired anyways . Geez.

The Franchize has disappointed me bigtime.

8. story_teller

story_teller Member

He did, montel??:eek: Yikes - I could've sworn Francis said something closer to: "...So, like Shaq said he's sticking with his coach, that's what I'm doing. I'm sticking with my coach."

And where are the other three 'ships Shaq won besides the the three he won with the Lakers starting from '99-'02? *lol* I must've missed those.

9. We're Back

We're Back Member

Moochie 6 yrs
    Matt Maloney 7 yrs!
    Brent Price 7 yrs!
    Mo T- plays himself into shape, how professional,paid like a starter off the bench
    Cato-oddly can grab more rebounds in 20 minutes than he can in 30, paid like a starter off the bench
    Glen Rice- 9 million
    KT for no game Posey (KT haters can keep fooling themselves, but please look at the opposoite directions both teams headed after that trade)
    3 first rounders for Edward the Tard
    Horry and Cassell for Barkley
    Dissed Rashard Lewis for bryce Drew, Michale Dickerson, and some random Turkish scrub that never even showed up in the US!
    and this is sadly just the tip of the iceberg....

10. montelwilliams

Read my second post, idiot. I corrected myself, as people with manners do. You are low income, aren't you?

11. montelwilliams

Go back to China. No one wants you here.

12. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

W&S...

Van Gundy is a disciple of Pat Riley's, a very defensive minded coach, and one with a mixed bag of positives and negatives.

Positives: Gets player's to commit in the short run...Really understands and teaches fundamental defensvie basketball...Has very little ego, and almost never gets into batttles of will with his players...Is fairly media savvy, and that has probably increased with his time in the field...Is a fairly good communicator with players, using forms of Rileyesque psyce games, although not as effectivley, and as yet only with short term success...His commentary would lead you to believe that he prioritizes big men like Yao as offensive focal points...

Negatives: Has yet to show much more than an observer's ability to implement an effective offensive strategy, aside from that predicated on defense, in other words, he talks a good game on offense, but his teams have yet to play it...Has never, to my knowledge, developed any kind of effective big man...Uses the kind of ploys which historically have a limited effective shelf life, not saying that he can't go long, just hasn't, and isn't the kind who normally do...Can be percieved as aloof with players, all clinging to their legs during games aside...

All told, he is a legit coach, and would address some of the current problems on the team...but in some ways he has some of the same weaknesses this team already possesses, particularly when it comes to offense. To be fair, he was dealt a pretty non-traditional offensive bag of toys with the Knicks, and had to incorporate Ewing into the mix on the fly one season, and did so fairly well, although the offense was still based on defensive pressure and basics. He has sounded very enthusiastic about Yao, and I have no doubt that were Van Gundy to assume control of the team, our offense would run through the big guy...What is in doubt is how much more effective that offense would be, given Van Gundy's as yet unproven track record in this area...

Questions answered, W&S?

13. windandsea

Thanks, MacBeth.

I will go to find a picture of him. I watched some TNT games. But I just don't know which one is Van Gundy.

14. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

He's the one who looks like a sickly cousin of the Addams Family...

Oh, and I forgot to mention a significant strength of JVG...He is an excellent matchup coach...ie, he is excellent at designing gameplan's to neutralize opponents' strengths, particularly in the playoffs...

15. windandsea

OK. I FIND IT.

But he looks shorter in person than he is "in photo."

[​IMG]

16. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Well if Rudy does not return, Jeff Van Gundy would probably be the best coach available who has previously been an NBA coach. If not him, somehow convince Pat Riley to come here!

17. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Yes, he does plan on becoming a coach. During one of ABC's games they talked about how Nelson would sometimes leave practices early and let AJ finish running practice. They also said he was pretty tough on the players when he ran the practices.

The Dallas Morning News says that he plans to play two more seasons though, so the best we could hope for now is to get him as a player coach or get him to change his mind. I would love to have him coaching our gaurds though.

18. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Do you think Francis and Mobley are gonna listen to him? ..they cannot be controlled.

19. nonmin

nonmin Member

What a loser. May hooker's income is high;) ;)

20. rocketsball2003

low income??? since when does money have to do with intelect??? im sure you are without both:p

"oh i corrected my idiot self so stop making fun of me";)
    what a dope... i bet youre the one who got griff his stash huh... dont get high of your own supply kid:)