1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA trade rumors: Knicks keeping Carmelo Anthony over taking Rockets offer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Sorry I just feel the need to chime in here because of the amount of misinformation in this post. These are all still neurological functions. Call it whatever you might want but it's all still parts of the brain system. Even emotions are function of a persons neurological system. IQ tests, while imperfect tools as are every measuring tool, is intended to measure the capacity of intellectual horsepower a person has. If there were a test to measure emotions, you could say the same....some people simply have more capacity (intellectually or emotionally) than others. But capacity doesn't necessarily mean application.

I would also argue that emotions don't result in poor decision making, but the inability to process the information emotions offer is what makes for stupid mistakes. Just like a high IQ doesn't necessitate the judicious application of knowledge.

The application of intellectual and emotional horsepower determines how wise a person is. All the horsepower in the world doesn't make a difference without a transmission and tires.

/psychological & philosophical rant

D-rock and flusched like this.
  2. flusched

flusched Member

I gave your comment a thumbs up for your point about Harris. I forgot Detroit has him because Rotoworld lists him as a SF. He can play PF, and Gundy is probably going to bring him off the bench anyway. Having Harris kinda rules Detroit out as a possibility. Now I don't see any realistic path to trade for Carmelo. I don't think Portland or Utah are realistic. Any other possible trades would mean Houston keeps Ryan. That would mean trading Eric Gordon, Ariza, and additionally salaries and sweeteners.

3. flusched

flusched Member

Yours is a perfect response. I gave it a thumbs up.

I should have gone with this simpler tack or tact when addressing the person's comments about IQ.

There is more power in the finer realms of creation. The atomic level has more power than the molecular and the sub-atomic more power than the atomic. Emotions or heart is a finer thinking level, therefore if you can think or perform action from that level your actions will be more powerful and successful.

I think that fits your model where a higher IQ doesn't necessarily produce better outcomes, which is all I was trying to say in the first place.

I haven't gotten around to Gladwell's Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking. It's been on my reading list for years. I like the title. It's probably too much New Age BS, but all of my regrets I blame on not going with first impulses, or gut feelings.

4. jayfree

jayfree Member

Knicks just signed Beasley... What does this mean? A possible SF replacement...... hmmmmmm! :)

BallSoHarden likes this.
  5. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Sorry I meant UFA. I stay behind what I initially said that he took the 1 year route to be sure he's not stuck playing with someone who's been suspect at times with his poor play. I can almost guarantee you CP is more worries about winning at this stage of his career over money. And to answer your sign and trade question, there was a story put out about that when the trade went through. The story states that CP wanted to do right and made sure he didn't leave LA high and dry with no building blocks or assest in return. We gave up way more than we had to especially if signing CP outright was an option.
    What I'm thinking Morey should've have done is convince CP to sign with HOU outright and traded for Melo. I'm sure NY would have loved an offer of BEV, Dekker, Harrell, and Lou for Melo but like I said CP WANTED the sign and trade which is why we are stuck with not being able to get Melo.

6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yes it does but it still doesn't mean they are going to trade Melo to us. They are showing more signs that the team is willing to just have Melo sit.

7. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Lol if I were melo I'd say ok cool lemme opt in right quick fam

Bobsputin and Jontro like this.
  8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If I were him I would do the exact same thing and make life a living hell at MSG. Now that he is single.... he doesn't owe anything to the Knicks.
    As long as Morey does not give up we still have a chance. With Chris Paul being head of the Players Association and the brother hood being as strong as it is, they just need to make sure no big free agent comes to NYC!

9. rockets13champs

If I'm Melo and this isn't resolved September I'm
    Holding out of camp and not showing up NFL style

H-Town Melo and Bobsputin like this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

wouldn't he get fined and the team could file some kind of a complaint to the league so they won't have to pay him as long as he doesn't show up?

11. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

yes. That's why tycoonchip's idea will work better.

Having a disgruntled employee walking around, bad mouthing the company, and doing everything to disrupt the organization, without getting fined, is the quickest way to get gone.

12. rockets13champs

He would get fined. But I don't think it would be a lot. One day would be statement enough

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

would there be any consequences at all for melo if he walked around bad mouthing and poisoning the company environment? like i know some companies can punish you with an indefinite leave without pay if you damage the organization.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

They could fine or suspend him for "conduct detrimental to the team". See Rajon Rondo as an example of this.

Jontro likes this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

then i definitely see a possibility of melo staying. i assume it's a suspension without pay. will the nbapa be ok with that tho?

16. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

I can see them trying to fine/suspend him. I thought the NBAPA would step in. I'll have to go look at what Rondo did.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It would depend on how he goes about doing it. If he does it in a way that can be proven by NYK (publicly causing disruptions) then NYK has a legitimate case. If he's over their privately beefing with players or whispering sweet vengeance into Porzingis or Hardaway's ears, there is not much NYK can do.

Jontro likes this.
  18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

NBAPA would destroy knicks front office if they tried to suspend or withhold pay on melo. but it doesn't even have to get to that point b/c all he has to do is passively mock hardaway's ridiculous contract once on twitter and dolan's crew of jackasses will already feel the heat.

19. jch1911

jch1911 Member

He could always fake an injury as well....
    [​IMG]

20. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Just FYI, there is nothing new age, or BS, about Gladwell's Blink. Good read. I would also encourage his relatively new podcast: Revisionist History. Just listened to the episode on "The King of Tears" and it's great. I'm not even a fan of country music.