1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

NBA ALL Greatest Teams Bracket - Vote for the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stack24, May 1, 2006.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I don't know how the Celtics got 2/3s of the vote against that Sixers team. I could see how they have a depth advantage, but Wilt, Barkley, Iverson, Dr. J, and Mo Cheeks seems like an almost unbeatable lineup that is going to log a lot of minutes. Outside of Bird, the Celtics don't have an advantage at any position, and Dr. J is no slouch.

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

It must have been solely on rep, because that lineup is just silly. A front line of Wilt, Chuck and Dr. J is absolutely insane. Maybe the Celts can still get an edge overall, but 2/3s of the vote seems much too high.

3. terse

terse Member

Depends. If they're using today's rules, I would pick Ralph over Yao. Ralph's mobility advantage would be decisive. But if they're using the rules of the late '90s (the Shaq era), I would pick Yao. Imagine the 300 lb Yao knocking down the 225 lb Kareem for a dunk! :eek:

4. terse

terse Member

You need to enable Flash. Then look at the bracket diagram and click on the Houston Rockets. There's a ballot in the upper right hand corner, where you can select the Rockets as the Western conference champs.

I'll let you decide which team to vote for in the Eastern conference. ;)

5. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

BEAT LA!!!

Got pass the Spurs. Now its the Lakers. I don't think this would be close. But maybe with a little clutchfans magic we can make it :D

6. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

HOW??? They have Magic/West/Kobe as one of their reserve guards.... its fun to see a 6'9" PG playing a 5'9" PG too :D

and they have shaq as their back up center! :confused: :( Lacker is the only team that we don't have advantages in the center position!

7. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Typical great post from you. :) But damn it I'm a huge Mo Cheeks fan and you made me go back and look at the teams.

It made me realize that I originally thought Barkley would have to be very young pretty much an afterthought as an option in that line-up. But he-of-the-big-butt may have been more effective vs. that Celtic line-up than I really had thought about.

Plus, Dr. J's legacy is just messed up. It is. Hmmm... I still can't make a call there, but I'm leaning much more towards "I dunno" than I was.

8. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

As much as I want to vote for the Rox over the Lakers, LA's team has more firepower than the sun. I mean seriously, Kobe/Magic/Jerry West/Kareem/Shaq. Each of these guys is in the top 3 or 4 ever at their position. And that's not even counting Elgin Baylor, who was MVP caliber in his day.

If you give us Clyde, I think we have a chance:
    Clyde/TMac/Dream/Moses/Hayes is pretty damn nasty, too

But there's no way that Kenny Smith/Sam Cassell/Calvin Murphy are not going to get completely abused by whoever matches up with them. We could probably control the paint, but we'd get run out of the building by a fastbreak lineup of Kobe/Magic/West/Shaq/Baylor.

9. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

No way. Kobe will take 60 shots in a game, just because he can, in front of all those legends. And his team will lose.

10. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Hakeem will be swatting everything on the break as he did against Strickland and KJ. :)

Don't underestimate a fast break trio of Hakeem, T-mac and Sammy. Hakeem is lightning quick compared to Shaq on the break. T-mac can stay with Kobe. Sammy is fearless and can finish or distribute.

I agree that the LAL has got more star power than a nuclear power station but if we play them in the half court set, then we got the front line to hang with them.

11. shsu33

shsu33 Member

The Bulls beat out the Celtics??? Rox only got 15%??? I voted for rox but knew we wouldn't beat out the Lakers but just 15% is pretty bad considering the match-up.

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

And people say Michael Jordan isn't overrated.

13. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

i'm a little upset, the rockets beat the lakers during their prime in the 1980s and all they get is 15%....i myself voted twice for the rox on 2 different computers and the fact that the bulls beat the celtics is ridiculous

14. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Bulls > Celtics???? That this rate, the Bull will win it over the Lackers too :mad: :mad: :mad:

15. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Wow, if only Yao was on the list, It'd be us vs. the Bulls due to Yao's popularity as well.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The Lakers over the Rockets matchup isn't really something I can argue against. In my opinion, that Rockets squad would be maybe the 2nd best of all-time next to the Lakers, its just a shame we faced them in the semi's instead of the finals.

....and Bulls over the Celtics??? Come on now...... :eek: :rolleyes:

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Magic wasn't 6'9".And you dont give Moses and Hakeem enough credit. Hakeem at his best was the greatest ever !!!

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

All of this is a the problem of so many young voters having no true feeling of the history of the Game. This contest should be limited to Fans who are over 50 years of age!!! The younger voter's basketball knowledge is limited by the control of advertizing and limited knowledge of the reality of the past.

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Yeah 15% is totally ridiculous if you ask me

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Newbs always have to come in announcing this i guess. So, this is my
    FIRST EVER POST to the board! :D
    Looooooong time lurker. Ever since Clyde walked in the Summit with Tracy Murray. Anyways...

I voted twice, once from home at once at work. 15% is way too low a number for the Rockets :mad: . No doubt that Laker group would win it outright. They're making it look like they'd give the Rox a thorough drubbing though and that's not even the case. Should have been closer to what the Spurs-Rox number was (59% - 41%). A 2 to1 margin not a 6 to 1. Ridiculous. And Spurs #2?! What a joke. Different division but those Piston and Sixer teams would give the Spurs a spanking.

Going on PER, Steve Francis has the best of the Rockets guards and SHOULD be included. He's in for Newlin. Murph and Cassell stay in. Then I'd move Tmac to guard so there's some talent and size to go against the Laker guards even though outside shooting would suffer (Sorry, Kenny). And insert Yao in the frontcourt.

Revised Lineup. Gawd that sure's a sweet Laker lineup:
    G GAIL GOODRICH -- G SAM CASSELL
    G JERRY WEST -- G CALVIN MURPHY
    G KOBE BRYANT -- G STEVE FRANCIS
    G/F MAGIC JOHNSON -- G/F TRACY MCGRADY
    F JAMES WORTHY -- F RUDY TOMJANOVICH
    F ELGIN BAYLOR -- F ELVIN HAYES
    F JAMAAL WILKES -- F/C RALPH SAMPSON
    F HAPPY HAIRSTON -- C YAO MING
    C SHAQUILLE O'NEAL -- C MOSES MALONE
    C KAREEM ABDUL-JABBAR -- C HAKEEM OLAJUWON

*None of the teams in the bracket have 3 true centers listed on their rosters. Using their structure there's no room for Yao. Would have to put in Otis Thorpe, Robert Reid, Horry or someone in his place. Sorry Mad Max and Mobley...Sampson's PER is a typo (17.4 not 27.4). Yao's is much better (25.7) like a previous poster indicated....With Yao it'd be an intriguing matchup of showtime versus slowtime.*

(First post and it's not even on real life basketball :p On some make believe dreamified on-paper matchups)