1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: We won't tank. Ever.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Apr 25, 2012.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No.

DD

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've not been the biggest Morey fan, but on this I definitely agree with him. Excellent job Morey.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Great post. I'd much prefer to root for a team that values winning over anything else and realizes that tanking is not a 100% guaranteed solution as so many here seem to think. Losing begets losing many times. Just take a look at the lottery most years and you'll see the same usual suspects picking in the top 10 year after year while rarely ever sniffing playoff contention. Yeah, sign me up for that!

1 person likes this.
  5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

"At the end of the day, it’s a bottom-line business."

There you go fans...

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Can we at least try to find a core for the future then? The team as is just won't cut it next year. Make moves for players that could be in our future plans

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

And at the end of the day, the job ain't gettin' done. See ya!

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Based on the record since the championship years (something Les had nothing to do with), the bottom-line has been mostly negative which means that Les has failed as an owner. You can spin it anyway you want, but the facts are screaming at us all. Les continues to get all this credit for being a "great owner," but where is the basis in fact. He picks the Rocket's organization including the GM, he is responsible. Injuries? Bad luck? Francis was a head case with well known substance abuse issues. Yao was a wonderful person but the victim of "giantism" with predictable health problems, T-Mac was an premadonna with well documented back problems. They were all high risk choices, but they all received max contracts and were then keep too long. Thus, the hole the team is in now. To add to the frustration, a supporting cast was never assembled for Yao until he was gone, so his "healthy" years were wasted.

9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I guess i'm in the minority on this one...

I don't have a problem with not tanking... I have a problem with the team that's being assembled.

Morey is basically the basketball version of Moneyball and that can't and want work with basketball. Basketball is a team - team sport, where as baseball is a team - individual sport. You can acquire assets in baseball, because each person is responsible for their own success. Basketball ball is all about team work and chemistry and you can't accomplish that by just putting assets on the court.

I said this in the past, Morey has to figure what direction this team is going in... Are they going to be a running team like OKC or a half court team like SA..

T_Man

1 person likes this.
  10. conquistador#11

it's true. you could start MM, smith, christmas, fortson, and they wouldn't be as bad as the bobcats. people are ridiculous wanting to get rid of the young players we have like dragic,lowry and parsons. You only trade them for a franchise player and last I check there are only five of those and none of those teams are giving them away.

Other than davis, no franchise player in this draft.

11. Dei

Dei Member

Tanking is part of the game. Can't you see that Daryl?

12. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

[​IMG]

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b9N3tIlEJNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Ok. Time for a new "we". Off with Morey's head!

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

The fact that most posts here actually believe Morey's words at face value shows exactly why he said it.

When SA held out DRob when he was perfectly healthy, they didn't say anything about tanking. When Cleveland benched all their veterans and put up a scrub lineup, they didn't say they were tanking. In fact, not a single team in the history of the NBA has flat out indicated that they tried to tank.

If Morey ever said the Rockets would tank, not only would ticket sales plummet down to nothing, David Stern would throw down the hammer at us for making the NBA look bad.

1 person likes this.
  15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Morey is right that gutting the entire franchise to be bad from all angles would be a terrible approach. They are just too far away from being a team that wins less than 22 games with the quality of young players they have, coaches, development personel, etc.

You literally have to be "Donald Sterling" franchise aweful to get in that top 3 pick and then overnight change everything around that pick before they up and leave you for the West coast after their rookie contract is up.

Alot of you are right that Les would literally have to sell the team, or foreclose on the rights to the franchise abruptly in order to have this team go south that fast overnight.

Its clear to me that the only solution to this issue to work out another mega trade in the mold of the Gasol trade, or multiple trades that completely changes the face of the team.

This is easier said than done because it took years for the Gasol deal to come around, and it might take years for another deal like that to come again. However, a deal like that one will be much more likely than Les selling the team to a bum off of Telephone Road.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

We'll see how good this approach is for the bottom line long term, I guess. I can't think of a team outside of Los Angeles that has been able to rebuild without taking its medicine first. I just don't see us getting out of this hole without finding the piece to build around in the draft...and I don't think we're gonna find that piece with the 13th or 14th pick in the draft.

17. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Well, please stop the dream to get Dwight and DWill, you just spend too much time to post this nonsense, I can bet on it, we will not get Howard and DWill, your approach is just total failure one.

1 person likes this.
  18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That's a great point...I don't know if this is just lip service or not. He goes to enough of those analytical conferences where they churn out reports suggesting that tanking is by far the more probable way for franchises to improve. So maybe this is all lip service.

But I don't think it matters what he thinks/wants at this point. I think Les is steering the ship.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Howard is going to demand a trade supposedly. The Rockets might have enough to get it done especially since it was rumored that we were heavily in the mix at the deadline.

20. cod

cod Member

repped and quoted for posterity.