1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: We won't tank. Ever.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Apr 25, 2012.

1. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Looks like we're gunna be here a while folks. Get your brown paper bags ready.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

But there's no way Les would flat out say we're tanking or rebuilding. So in the end it's really just about what the Rockets actually do. Because they're never going to say anything besides that they'll try to compete.

It really does suck that they can't be upfront about these things.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Again this all depends on the Magic's front office and ownership. All we have is their past history of catering to Dwight, and giving him the keys to the city to do whatever he wants with this franchise.

I personally think they are going to play out the first half of the season with Dwight, and in that case the Rockets probably will be out of the equation because he's probably going to say "Im going ____ in the summer" like Melo did to force his way to one team or the other.

If for some reason they completely change their stance and look to move him in the Summer then the Rockets will def. be in play. History says they will keep him till the bitter end.

4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, Howard is going to demand a trade, but he is not going to ask to be traded to Houston, there is not a logic point for him to come to Houston to seek a title or make more money.

5. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

It does suck for us fans because we all want to know what our philosophy is and where we are headed; but to the players and the league, you cannot say you are tanking. It completely demoralizes a team and locker room. You cannot tell players to go out there and suck and lose so we can get a better draft pick to make this team a legit contender. No player wants to play for a team like that. All the players secretly think they are better than other guys. That is what makes sports competitive.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I agree with you...I just think Les is that guy. Les is going to have to show me before I believe he's going to get realistic with the state of his franchise.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

to be clear...tanking doesn't involve the players directly; only indirectly. you don't ask guys to go out and give anything less than their full effort.

8. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

People who are saying tanking is bad because it's not 100% guaranteed and losing begets losing etc. Just check the mid 80s Rockets, had they not tanked or assembled a mediocre team, we would've had no twin towers, no clutch city, no olajuwon, no 2 championships etc. Sure then it was decided by a flip of the coin, still it was worth it to tank this season. Then we would've had a shot at Robinson, MKG or Davis. Now, not so much..

The post about moneyball which worked in baseball not able to work in basketball is 100% spot on and never thought of it that way. You can't just collect individuals (assetts) and have a great team. It doesn't work that way so I agree Morey needs to choose a direction. However, since his whole operation hasn't worked so far and actually backfired in several occassions (with several players) I doubt it is going to change. Therefore, he needs to go but nothing will ever change with Leslie here, i.e. Mr. Alexander, please step down.

9. Tyler Hyellie

Tyler Hyellie Member

I'll never understand the pro-tanking mentality.

It's a loser mentality

:rolleyes:

10. onreego

onreego Member

This. You want to keep your job? You do what your boss tells you and you talk about it like you believe it.

11. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Good. **** tanking. It's the sissy way out.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

Mediocrity is purgatory.

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I7NHCy13ZLk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  14. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

This was a crappy start to my morning. I just don't get it.

15. thekad

thekad Member

And with the 14th pick in the 2013 and 2014 and 2015 and so on and so on NBA Draft the Houston Mediocres select... Who cares.

1 person likes this.
  16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think that's true. Morey has mostly been pretty straightforward when he talks about what he's going to do. It's just that no one wants to believe him when he says it. I don't think he'd come out and say they won't tank and just turn around and tank it. I think it is his honest-to-God intention to continue trying to be competitive every year. He might take the occassional step back (like trading veterans), but I doubt he makes any move motivated by improving our pick in the draft, or willingly lose on a trade to collect his compensation in the loss column.

If he intended something like that, no he wouldn't say we're going to tank. But, he wouldn't come out and say we're not going to tank. He'd say stuff like this team needs a rebuild, or we need to take a step back for the long-term viability of the franchise, or something.

He might be right that we're too good to tank. Maybe we can't lose more than 50 games in a season even with the Bobcats roster, just on the strength of the coaching staff and team culture.

But, I think it's very clear he isn't going to try. Watch and be surprised when Morey does exactly what he flat-out said he was going to do. I think the plan sucks. But I feel no uncertainty as to what it is.

1 person likes this.
  17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That's what I do not understand, which is part of the reason why decided to stay in Orlando, because he saw teams that were not very desirable destinations (GS, Houston). I cannot blame him on that front.

18. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Yes it is...and watching a tanking team is hell.

19. Mashing

Mashing Member

You tank by trading away your good players. Draft a super start, then build around that star. He's right, this team is too good to be bobcats bad.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's right, you know--this team is too deep to get a top 5 pick. It doesn't matter who you play on this roster, you're still going to be much closer to pick #10 than #1.