1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: Please Keep this Core - They're Building Something Special

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clarinetmonster, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Clarinetmonster

My first attempt at a thread, so bear with me. I'm not a stats guru but I feel that I have very good instincts and right now I feel like it would be very prudent to stay with the core (whose members are debatable) of Harden, Howard, Parsons, Bev, TJones and Lin. (would also love to keep DMo and AB - MAYBE Casspi)I feel like their chemistry is at an all time high and they are really just starting to scratch the surface of their potential- admit it guys, we've seen some glimpses of some pretty special bball from these guys and I am very excited to see them put it all together in time to make a run at the postseason. PB&J is officially a thing now - the new bromance and they have the potential to wreak havok on the regular. TJones has scary potential - and of course I don't really need to talk about the big 3. I love the idea of a core team learning and growing with each other and maybe adding some key veteran bench player(s) for playoff leadership. Whadya think?

2 people like this.
  2. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Didn't read... To long

3. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Congrats on your first thread! Building chemistry is a great thing and we are definitely improving in that dept. However, the reality of the league includes lots of considerations that include the salary cap, players propensity for injury, correction of obvious flaws, bench depth and more. I think we are missing a 3 or a 4 who is deadly firing corner 3's and creating space. I think Asik + whoever could potentially net a starter caliber type player. Teams who can pack the paint (like Memphis) can hurt us if we can't reliably make them pay for that strategy. I think some tweaking is still in order and that could include a new starter or heavy minute elite bench player.

1 person likes this.
  4. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

This sort of response confuses me. Why bother typing it unless you're just trying to be annoying? bizarre

1 person likes this.
  5. Karolik

Karolik Member

No unless you think losing to bad teams and elite teams is special

6. archinkent

archinkent Member

You should read more so you can learn to spell better.

2 people like this.
  7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Pretty good first thread. Separate the sentences and it'll be easier to read.

I also like this team and get the sense they could be special this post season. Everyone on the team from last year has improved. The addition of Howard is a plus and Asik could come back and even make us more solid at the 5. If not we have DMo who is finally getting some consistent minutes and getting more comfortable on the floor with them.

I expect this team to continue to improve. We still will lose some stupid games but I think it will happen less frequently and if all goes well we could be fighting for the division lead come April. That will be a shocker for San Antonio.

I would add a lot of Morey's ability to make changes is out of his hands. No one wants asik or Lin at there asking price. Kind of stupid of them because they way I see it at least for Asik it's not a big over even at the total of what's left this year and 15 mil next year. And the cap hit is even less. Find a better center with a cap hit of only 8 mil not on a rookie contract. Anyway good first thread.

8. Soft Takes

Soft Takes Rookie

(Including defense) who in this league could Harden beat in a game of one-on-one?

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Harden is a good defender. I have seen him play great d at times. But he can't play both sides of the ball and run the offense as effectively if he does. Very few can do it all on both sides of the couurt. Even Lebron James picks and chooses when to attack. There in lies the problem. He prefers to run the offense and take breaks on defense. I prefer he take breaks on running the offense and play better d. The last game and a few before he seems to agree a little more.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I've noticed this too, its not that he's a bad defender, dude just looks way too gassed.

I think over time as he gets used to the offensive load his conditioning will jump to another level where he can bring about good defense on a consistent basis as opposed to spurts like right now.

11. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Around the league, most think that Houston needs to get something for Asik to upgrade their team to compete in the western conference playoffs. In order to get value for Asik the Rockets will need to include another player. Most rumors have centered around Lin. I am beginning to think Parsons might be the one to get teams interested because of his appealing stats and salary.

12. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

We have a two person core and they are staying for the long haul. Harden and howard. Everyone else is a role player

13. coffeelover665

He took his time to write a paragraph and you go and do this and for what? To irritate people? Not only that, you have no influence on this board so that comment does nothing to sway people about the topic instead, it only shows you as an irritant. Not only that, you typed four words and already there is an error so I can see why the paragraph was "too" long for you.

14. i3artow i3aller

15. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I think this is an interesting comment. I agree with everything, except that he can't do both. They have started keeping stats on the amount the players move during a game and for a guard that is athletic, Harden seems to be a bit lazy (bottem 10 in running amount per game). There is a joke the he isn't lazy, he is just extremely efficient. I think the truth is probably somewhere in between. I wouldn't mind him running the offense a little less anyways and behaving more like a classic 2, this seems to get everybody else in the game and it seems to maximize Lin's abilities.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Who really cares since the Rockets don't play in a rec league. Harden is the best NBA 2 guard and at least as of late, has been playing good defense.

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Nice post. I agree with OMK, use some paragraphs and it will be easier to read. Otherwise, I agree with your point that the core is solid. I think the biggest thing at this point would be to add a wing defender off the bench that can consistently hit the 3 pt shot.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

The only untouchables on this team is Harden and Dwight. Even though this group is starting to gel, we're simply not talented enough to win a championship. We have to stay opportunistic on the trade front in order to acquire the third star.