1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: Please Keep this Core - They're Building Something Special

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clarinetmonster, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Rockets have a nice roster that will get better once Asik is moved. I think McHale limits our success.

2. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Looks like we will have Lin for at least one more season. So we will have one more season to see if Lin can develop a more consistent player.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Is it possible the Rockets win a title without a third star? Yes, but your margin for error is very small.

While it is true that Harden is the best shooting guard in the NBA and Howard is the best center in the NBA, the NBA awards the team with the best player on the court in the playoffs. Look at the Lakers (Shaq/Kobe), Spurs (Duncan), Rockets (Olajuwon) and Bulls (Jordan). Harden is very good, he is capable of being a top 4 player in the NBA. However, he will never be Durant or James or even prime Wade (possibly). So that means the Rockets need MORE to beat those teams and over come their elite players. That is where the third star comes in. The Rockets don't want to get stuck in the trap that the Kings did against the Lakers, or the Suns did against the Spurs or the Blazers did against the Bulls.

Also, it is a lot easy to fill the holes once you have a third star. I have confidence that Morey can use the draft and free agency to plug the back up center and wing defender/shooter position.

Lets wait and see what the Rockets do at the deadline. I do know that Morey is well aware that you cannot just take a bunch of stars and expect them to immediately win. Morey has pointed to the Pacers, old Jazz teams and the Spurs as models where the players get to gel and come together.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Harden, Howard and Parsons is your core.

I think there is still a major move ahead.

5. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Parsons. His offense and intangibles, yes. But his defense, no. If CP can improve his defense, then he is for sure that 3rd star. We will need a defender at 3 to compete with the likes of Heat, OKC, and Pacer.

6. sun12

sun12 Member

You have to be specific about what you mean by Durant stopper.

How many minutes are you going to play that Durant stopper? 35+ minutes would make Parsons irrelevant. 10 minutes Durant stopper is laughable.

So I repeat the call that Parsons will be gone.

I said in my post, OKC is a bad bad matchup for Rox. You just hope you can get a 6'7" defensive wing, and the third star as in a PF who can negate Durant's score.

7. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I might be mistaken, but I think Parsons has played Durant OK in the past. And Terrence Jones will guard LeBron.

8. Grigori

Grigori Member

Player-wise, I think this team can go the distance.

To actually do it, I think they have to dump the head coach and his top assistant.

9. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Clearly we are a back up 5, and a shooter/defender away from actually being an elite team. Cannot trust this bench in crucial mins in high intensity playoff games just yet.

10. Clarinetmonster

Yeah, I also think the idea of shutting all others besides Durant and just trying to slow him down with mostly single coverage is a sound idea. I still don't believe Westbrook will carry this team when he gets back - even if both those guys go off for 35, you can still greatly limit the supporting cast who would still need to account for about 40-50 pts.

11. sun12

sun12 Member

You are wrong.

12. Clarinetmonster

What are you proposing - just trying to outscore them with our 3 stars (if we get a 3rd)? How do you defend Durant for the 40min he's on the floor? He can't do it ALL himself.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

"The Core" is only Dwight Howard and James Harden. Everyone else is an asset.

14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I agree with the OP.

This is a good start. I think we're all anxious to see where a possible Asik trade can send this team, especially after the two huge acquisitions. Patience!

This is a good start. Harden and Howard especially, the longer these guys play together the better they're going to be. One season isn't enough time to "gel" like the way you want them to.

Even Lebron/Wade/Bosh needed a 2nd year to reach the promised land.

15. Penetrate&Creat

I think Morey will keep most of the players on the roster. The few that I think are on the trading block are

Lin
    Asik
    DMo

These 3 could probably fetch Morey a couple of good players. We'll see what the mastermind has in store for the Rockets.

16. jocar

jocar Member

I hate to say it, but TJones might also be on that block now. Teams will ask for Parsons in any package involving Asik or Lin, and Morey will offer TJ. Just a guess.

17. Classic

Classic Member

Indeed.

18. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Nah dude, give me the mic cause after thay post, you need a break.

OOOOOH

19. sun12

sun12 Member

Spurs have a blue print. They always have a wing defender as a SF. Used to be Bruce Bowen, now Kawhi Leonard. Read what Popovich says:

Popovich: “He’s a lot better than Bruce Bowen. Bruce Bowen couldn’t dribble and couldn’t pass. He shot 3s in the corner and he played good D, he played great D. So we want Kawhi to match Bruce’s great D first and foremost, but after that he’s a much better offensive player.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....bruce-bowen-couldnt-dribble-and-couldnt-pass/

20. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Why would you care if this team's 4th option becomes more consistent? Y'all don't see Lin as part of the Rockets future anyways