1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike D'Antoni said he isn't a fan of rest thinks it caused hardens shooting to go down

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Apr 1, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is a nice guy and a good coach, but greatness eludes him. Honestly we need adjustments and toughness from the bench. MDA is no Pops.

2. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

He shot like ass after a wrist injury last year

He cranked up all the sliders in 2015 and 2016, where seeding battles could be decided by one game.

Harden has always played great when the stakes are high and the margin of error is small, and the reward is worthwhile. When the reward is playoff seeding, homecourt, or an opportunity to close out a series, he balls out, when the reward is losing in 6 instead of losing in 5, or getting swept by the best team of this century, he tends to play like ass.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. OTMax

OTMax Member

Yeah I felt one of the big reasons we might not win big is because of MDA and he had gained my confidence lately, but can honestly say I am losing faith again with odd things like this..

Stormy1234 likes this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The Kelly Iko tweet "MDA believes Harden's dip in 3Pt% is because of rest". While is damn sure spoke to the dangers of resting vs rhythm, he never mentioned Harden by name until the question. He answered the Harden question regarding him struggling at the 3.

"You just start struggling when you're missing 'em. I don't know. Maybe. I don't think so. He just got off a rhythm, and 'um, and now we got to get him back on. And not having CP3 out there obviously hurts, as another playmaker that gets us going. But ya know, it again comes down to our mental edge is not sharp right now, and we play three games without having it, then we play a really good team and get beat."​

Note that Harden question was just 1/3 of the interview. He didn't open or close with it, or probably wouldn't have brought it up himself. The gist of the whole thing was team rhythm and mental edge and how over rest ing conflicts with rhythm.

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

no he's still backpedaling from his poor minute mgmt regarding Harden from last year... 'see this is why I didn't rest him last year...'
    and trying to get justification for running his starters through the remaining meaningless games.. when in reality he just wants to continue to inflate his offensive results so he will be viewed as an 'offensive genius'...

Little Bit likes this.
  6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Harden injured his wrist at the end of the season. That’s why he shot like garbage.

7. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

I feel like we have toughness from the bench in Nene and Green (the way he carries himself) then toss in Tucker, but jesus we almost lost two of them today and both should have not played again after they hurt themselves. What was the point?

He's been a better coach this season imo with adjustments (still is weird with TO's) but the whole rest thing he just cant wrap his head around. Maybe I cant either, but Im not a coach.

He knew Harden was gassed against the Spurs last season and i get the whole James needs to find his shot again, but he didnt lose his shot from sitting. Maybe hes got tired legs shrug

I think the whole team and coaching was off today which has been rare as hell this season. I just hope he can find the greatness this year cause he really has done a heck of a job here.

djperm, kjayp and Stormy1234 like this.
  8. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

9. Mr. Space City

what about the year before that?

10. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

I'll trust Harden. Ive wiped gm 6 from my mind unlike others and I believe 100% in Jimmy. Plus I mean CP3 was just chilling on the bench which totally makes our team easier to deal with.

hakeem94 and Stormy1234 like this.
  11. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

When he singlehandedly dragged this team to a postseason berth while playing his best basketball of the season right before the playoffs began?

12. heypartner

love how the thread has turned this into overplaying vs resting, when MDA was actually explaining the rest management they'd been doing, and merely explained the loss to the Spurs as one consequence of the resting they are doing.

He didn't make a polarizing statement to suggest he believed in "overplaying" them.

Look around; he is resting them. But now we are going to make up stuff that actually we aren't, and we are overplaying them???

Deuce, djperm and TheFreak like this.
  13. Mr. Space City

no, when he quit in game 6 vs. the clippers

#33 Mr. Space City, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  14. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

He was sick in that game, and him coming down with an illness and recovering in the 5 days between him winning us game 5 and him putting up 37 points in game 7 to close out the series seems completely reasonable to me.

15. Mr. Space City

was he still sick when he set the record for most turnovers in a playoff game after that?

how convenient he has an excuse every year.....

sick, wrist injury, concussion.

16. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

If Dwight doesn't get hurt in game 1 and goes 18-32 from the line in game 2 then that series comes to Houston up 2-0.
    Even then, Harden damn near dropped 50 in game 4. For the record I do think he quit, just like every other team that suffered a gentleman's sweep.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  17. Mr. Space City

so he wasn't sick?

18. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

The entire team simply accepted the Gentleman's sweep.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Harden played one game in the previous 6 days, and we're blaming his shooting slump on lack of rest?

You guys are funny with these excuses.

TheFreak and Dopamine like this.
  20. heypartner

Harden basically just got an entire week off. MDA was merely reminding us the consequences of rest v rhythm is as post-game remarks about how they lost. He correctly attributed it to we aren't mentally sharp and lost some rhythm.

Let's not blow this up to imply no one has been resting at all, and he doesn't intend to do any resting. From my seats, he managing a balance well.

Deuce and djperm like this.