1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike D'Antoni said he isn't a fan of rest thinks it caused hardens shooting to go down

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Apr 1, 2018.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

Mike, it's not that complicated. Treat every game like a preseason game. You limit key guy's minutes to no more than 25 min and not paying attention to the score board. So we were down by 10+ points going to the 4th, so what. You don't put Harden back in to have him rack up 30+ minutes in the wolf's den. Thank goodness, we were blown out so the spurs calmed down a little. Also, run some plays to make sure Harden doesn't drive. Every time he charges into those bloody eyed spurs, my heart cringed.

vlaurelio, rocks123, kjayp and 2 others like this.
  2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Sometimes it's called strategy. Spurs are in bit of a hole right now. We don't pick up a fight with a bum with nothing to lose but fight at this point.

djperm, tmactoyao and Stormy1234 like this.
  3. YallMean

YallMean Member

To the point of avoid a string of losses to potential playoff opponents, I agree. That's why you don't show our hand. The worst is we show our hands and still lose. That's a big crush for the confidence. Those teams are fighting for their lives. They are desperate. You don't pick up a fight with someone desperate when the number 1 objective is health. We can beat them for sure, but that's going to take effort and we will have to show our hands. We need to be smart about this. Let's take the Zen approach. Treat them like bums by not taking them seriously.

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Then play CP too. Not going to beat them a desperate spurs by simply playing Harden 36 minutes. I didn't see the defensive intensity and Harden played way too many ISOs. It's really a half-azz coaching job last night too. What does it do to our confidence going into playoff by losing those teams while having Harden play big minutes. If that's the approach, then we need to approach the game with way more effort including coaching. You don't throw Harden in there and tell me it's your show, prove it. That's BS. I will take 25 min risk over 36 min risk any day.

djperm, tmactoyao and Stormy1234 like this.
  5. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Team had what, 9 days off for the All-star break? That rest didn't seem to affect their shooting or their mental edge.

MDA is full of it on this one. A few games of resting shouldn't impact one's shooting.

rocks123 and Stormy1234 like this.
  6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

It is crazy. Lol if hebtried to win then he should have played arize and ego more since they have the best +/-. Why play harden 36 minutes when he was -20.

So this was an experiment rotation/game where he unecessarily played the mvp 36 minutes while the rest 28 minutes

If u trust mda and not pops, gsw 73 win team, lebron then go ahead

djperm likes this.
  7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

What? Who's definition of honesty? I've never heard a coach blame poor performance on being well rested.... "We could have won tonight - but dang it my guys were rested and felt good - I knew we were in trouble...' - LOL!

Sounds to me like yer sayin Kerr woulda towed the company line as a team player - "...WE aren't worried"
    as opposed to a healthy dose of MDA CYOB - 'not my fault - it's cause people are insisting I rest guys - the absurdity!'
    LOL!

8. kjayp

wanna keep his conditioning up? great, have him run on the treadmill for x hours a day... but dont leave him on the court against a hungry team that's undercutting our players while they're in the air.... thats just careless and stupid...

rocks123, vlaurelio and Stormy1234 like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Bruh, MDA basically said they weren't in rhythm because players have been in and out of the lineup for rest. He said the players didn't bring it. MDA said it was concerning and they would pick it up. What do you want from him?

You can't simulate game situations on a treadmill. Players say it all the time it has become cliché.

vlaurelio and djperm like this.
  10. kjayp

people have been in n out of the lineup all season long... When Ariza came back from his absence - he had a spring in his step that had faded prior as MDA was dumping heavy minutes on him... EGO returned with an intensity and power... but he's gonna blame today on resting guys - puh-lease!
    He said something like 'We were playing like a team that had just clinched HCA throughout the playoffs...' Exactly - cause we HAD! and now in a meaningless game, most our guys (who shouldnt have even been playing more than a quarter or two) didn't want to risk getting hurt - and then a couple guys ran like they had no such concerns at all (bless GG's heart - lol!)

What do I want from him?
    I want RJ Hunter! I want Joe Chee! I want the end of the bench emptied and lets see if any of these guys are worth carrying over to next year - while giving our rotational guys a good long break before we go to war in the post season.

I don't want some lame rationale about how some fictitious resting of your star player for the post season results in a shooting slump and lack of rhythm.... lol...smh...

vlaurelio and djperm like this.
  11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Ofcourse This team needs rest right now 74 games played already thousand of miles traveled, running up and down the floor. This ain't Euroleague Mike where short season and small playoffs. His Coaching Methods must change or forced by Morey forcing guys to rest. PJ Tucker, Ariza, Capela, Harden need rest. Forcing Harden to play through Hamstring Tear is a great idea, While we are at it Force Chris Paul to play bone on bone knees.

vlaurelio likes this.
  12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

15 point lead or more and Harden and the starters still playing with 7 minutes left. Its like Mike is paranoid about our bench being so bad, that we would lose the game. Force Harden to sit.

13. rocks123

rocks123 Member

And i dont think Harden's shooting was affected much when he had to missed games due to injury. This is obviously a slump due to i dont need to exert much effort because we already got the number 1 seed and he's locked for MVP. This slump started when GSW starts losing supposedly EASY games due to injury. And i personally dont mind. Harden would go back to his old competitive self once the playoff begins. GSW last year had A LOT OF REST even during the playoffs because they had to wait for their match-up to gut it out in a long series while they basically just run over their opponent. NO RUST or slump THERE. At the end of the day well rested>>>tired of fighting for playoff position.

kjayp likes this.
  14. vlaurelio

Lol lof will be lof

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't really care about overplaying role players. They barely break 30 anyway except Ariza.

I just think Harden should take 3 games off. It's not unreasonable to recognize how much energy he's expended the past 4-5 years, and exponentially tiring due to his usage rate. He'll still have 2 regular season games to get back into it.

We should crush our first round opponent with a 90% Harden. And that's me being pessimistic. I haven't seen Harden needing more than 1 or 2 games to get his rhythm back throughout his Rockets career. What we have seen REGULARLY is an overexerted Harden and while his minutes are down this season, there's an opportunity here. We're good enough that it might not matter, but let's use this opportunity.

We all know what it takes for Harden to admit he is injured. I just feel like we're playing a stupid game we don't need to be playing. Either way, I believe this team will bring the trophy home.

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

one game isnt even a losing streak

Patience likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I like it, this is my old school coach of the year!

18. Nivos

Nivos Member

I agree with coach.
    Somehow its all about rest these days.
    Just go out there and play your butts out.
    No one needs rest, its about being mentally prepared and know how to react when things get tough.
    We dont have the luxury of 3-4 allstars that can take rotations of rest or off days.
    We have Harden, and to some degree Paul. No rest days, no off days. Just bring it on.
    Stay hungry. Stay humble.

19. vlaurelio

Agree - 73 win gsw team

hakeem94 and Stormy1234 like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

These are the times when you can feel that D'Antoni wants to go out there and shoot himself instead of sticking to the bench.

hakeem94 and Stormy1234 like this.