1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike D'Antoni said he isn't a fan of rest thinks it caused hardens shooting to go down

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...y-rest?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Mike D'Antoni: Being rested, playing poorly not a good formula
    [​IMG]
    TIM MACMAHONESPN Staff Writer7:46 PM ET3 Minute Read

SAN ANTONIO -- Coach Mike D'Antoni declared that re-establishing a rhythm is a much bigger priority for the Houston Rockets than resting players for the remainder of the regular season after their 11-game winning streak ended with a 100-83 rout by the San Antonio Spurs.

The Rockets, who have clinched homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs, posted their lowest point total Sunday in two seasons under D'Antoni. Houston also had its worst field goal percentage (33.8) and fewest assists (12) and 3-pointers made (seven) of the season.

"We just didn't bring it. We just weren't sharp," D'Antoni said. "We haven't been sharp now for about three or four games. It hasn't just been one or two days. That's scary when you rest guys.

"That's why at the end of the year, you've got to be careful taking guys out and just resting them. Everybody wants rest, rest, rest. Well, they've got to play. Otherwise, we're going to lose the advantage of what you worked for for 80 games, and it's scary times for us. You've got to play. You've got to bring it, and you've got to bring it every day. We'll get it back."

Star guard Chris Paul has missed five of the past six games due to minor injuries after sitting out the loss to the Spurs. D'Antoni said the Rockets were "erring on the side of caution" as Paul nurses soreness in his left leg. D'Antoni expressed optimism that Paul would play Tuesday against the Washington Wizards.

MVP frontrunner James Harden,
    center Clint Capela and sixth man Eric Gordoneach sat out a game over the past week to rest and nurse minor injuries as the Rockets took advantage of wrapping up the No. 1 seed.

The Rockets kept their winning streak going before getting blown out against the Spurs by beating lottery-bound competition in the previous three games, but they readily acknowledge that they haven't played up to their standards recently. Houston was especially sloppy in Friday's win over the Phoenix Suns, when the Rockets rallied from a 21-point deficit and needed a Gerald Greenbuzzer-beater to escape with a win over a team that has the NBA's worst record.

"We've coasted these last few games," said Harden, who is in the midst of a slump, going 37-of-99 from the floor and 6-of-40 from 3-point range over his last five games. "It's time to amp it up a little bit. Just get our minds and our bodies right and get ready to go."

Added forward Trevor Ariza: "We definitely don't want to go the playoffs playing the way that we've been playing these past few games. ... Just stay greedy. We are competitors. That's what we do. We have to remember that. We have to continue to play hard and continue to build our habits."

Harden shrugged off fatigue as a factor in his recent poor shooting. However, he did not dismiss the idea of getting some more rest down the stretch of the regular season, as Harden has done in the past.

"We're just going to play it game by game and see how it goes," said Harden, who is averaging his fewest minutes since joining the Rockets in 2012. "But for the most part, coach has done a really good job of managing that aspect. For the players, just go out there and compete at a high level."

The Rockets have rested plenty, as far as D'Antoni concerned. He doesn't consider more rest beneficial for Houston as the playoffs near.

"Being rested and playing bad is not going to be a good formula going into the playoffs," D'Antoni said. "That's not good. They have enough rest. How it became vogue just not to play, I don't know.

Deuce, Nivos, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

"It's Happening <insert GIF>"

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Someone get kelly an otterbox

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Very concerned about MDA. He needs to get a grip.

Some of our rhythm will be gone in the beginning of game 1 in the first round. If we can't afford THAT risk vs overplaying the oldest roster in the league, then we are not championship calibre anyway.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Hey Coach, do you have a plan to get out of this slump? Are you just going to stop?

Stormy1234 likes this.
  6. Mr. Space City

harden didn't get rest last year and he shot like garbage in the playoffs.

d'antoni's greatest flaw is that he is a stubborn old fool.

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

MDA just trying to create a narrative to justify his actions...

He said at the end of last season that harden ran out of gas and he'd have to do a better job resting him for the post season in the future... in reality james has averaged about 1 min a game less this year...

Some will say that with CP3 James has to carry less of an offensive load... so he's actually had to work far less this season... I say james has improved his effort on the defensive end greatly this season - offsetting his 'effort savings' on the offensive end...

James should still be sitting from when he sat out a couple games back - and then brought back with 2 or 3 games remaining to get back into rhythm... imo...

8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I'D sit all my key players for every road game left and limit their minutes the rest of the way in the games they do play. Why bother? Play the bench & the G leaguers.

djperm, Stormy1234 and kjayp like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

:confused:

"James has struggled with his 3ball for awhile. Is fatigue a factor there?"

Mike: He started struggling when we rested him. I don't know. He got off rhythm now we have to get him back on.

:confused:

As far as I can tell, since the ASB, he's missed two games(Dallas on 3/11 & Chicago 3/27). Since the ASB(not including tonight), he's shooting 29% from 3. Ummm, it's not because you're resting him Mike?

roslolian, djperm, BigMaloe and 9 others like this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think Harden is a rhythm player. He has to play. Just play him for 2 quarters. easy.

Someone remind me: Wasn't Harden playing great going into the playoffs the last couple years?

This is just bucking another trend. Harden shoots like trash going into the playoffs only to shoot lights out during the playoffs

Much like EG lost the three point contest and now has saved all his threes for the second part of the season.

#10 DreamShook, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what slump? have you looked at our record? one loss is not a slump

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Exactly! He's "creating a narrative" where one does not exist...

Stormy1234 likes this.
  13. OTMax

OTMax Member

Odd reasoning and is he now taking the blame so Harden gets a pass??

roslolian, hakeem94 and Stormy1234 like this.
  14. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

He typically has a month or two per season hovering around 30% from three. They think it's rhythm, but I think it's just a slump.

djperm likes this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The last total team effort was against the Pelicans. The Hawks and Chicago were bottom feeders. Green bailed us out against a lottery bound team without Booker and Warren.
    Harden isn't shooting well. Capela and Ryan have been utter failures since the NO game. Injuries to Chris, Luc, and to an extent Ariza have hurt us badly. Trevor is all at sea. He couldn't stop Jackson or Gay. Nene is hurt too. The coach is saying we should expect more defeats. This is clearly a sign of a slump.

buffalobills!!! and Stormy1234 like this.
  16. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Well.... We're F again!

Stormy1234 likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you see a glass that's half empty, whereas I see a glass that's half full. We've won a lot of games when we haven't been firing on all cylinders. That's a good thing.

HakeemOnlyFan, hakeem94 and djperm like this.
  18. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

This is where MDA can hurt us :( I truly like him and hes a great coach, but god damn smh

19. Nook

Nook Member

Coach, worried about rhythm comes the playoffs? Okay, then sit Harden down 3-4 times before the break and a few games after the break... problem solved. You didn’t do that though.

20. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

This tweet helps me.

I must stay calm.

I believed EGO losing the 3pt contest would help him and I'm gonna believe in this.

djperm and Stormy1234 like this.