1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MDA Gettin in on the Hate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AusEaglez, Jul 18, 2013.

1. AusEaglez

AusEaglez Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/mike-d-antoni-thinks-dwight-howard-going-pretty-195100773.html

This is getting really funny how uneducated these so called professionals not only in the media but also former players and now Mike D'Antoni.

They all claim that we are running the same offence as D'Antoni, yet they don't realize we only changed up our system to suit the personal we had. Its like they have short term memory problems, cause the year before which was a completely different roster played a more balanced half court offence with Luis Scola at the 4, and he still got many touches and opportunities to score.

I think McHale doesn't get enough credit for how he adjusts to the players he has. I do feel he will slow the offence down a bit this year with Dwight, and for MDA, I think he needs to learn the meaning of defense before he judges our offensive scheme.

I believe McHale is a much much better coach than MDA ever will be.

2. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

The article was pretty much challenging MDA's quote. No biggie. I agree with most of what the author was trying to say.

3. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

MDA shouldn't talk, the way he handled the team that featuring Kobe, nash, pau, and dwight is embarrassing... he just couldn't figure out how to adjust to players strengths...

4. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

The rockets will not be playing at 200% pace the whole game next season. We will still be running and gunning if opportunities arise, but not pushing it in every possession.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He will get fired soon enough

1 person likes this.
  6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

MDA knows nothing about our Iso Harden offense. It's much too complex for him to comprehend.

7. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Pringles is one of the biggest airheads in the NBA, he's probably the last person on earth who should open his mouth about Dwight.

LA needs to deal with it and let Dwight be an astro if he wants.

8. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

yep, maybe after five games just like mike brown :grin:

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

First all MDA said was the Rockets run an offense similar to his which is true. Or at least true it is the type of offense he wants to run. The fact is D'antoni runs that offense when he has players who buy into it like Nash and Lin. But he doesn't run that offense very well with Melo and Kobe running the show. It's why Adelman was less effective with TMac. And in the playoffs McHalle had to pull in Harden a few times just to reiterate the offense works best when you move the ball around and take what the defense gives you.

As for McHale being the better coach. Well he never showed anything until last year and never developed anything close to an offense. You could believe that offense was all McHalle but rumors were flying that Morey was not happy how the offense was running under McHale and then it appeared McHale adjusted. And the offense got better.

I personally don't believe McHalle is that bright of a coach but he is a decent motivator. Decent is the keyword. He is good enough but certainly there a re better but given a decent strategy he is okay. In fact he really changed after the death of his daughter. It's as if he finally bought into Morey's plan and the team bought into him.

But as I've said on this board several times, I believe the real X' and O's come from Morey. And Morey basically stole a lot of his ideas from other coaches and then ran his voodoo analysis on them and perfected them. I think he did the same on defense. So all McHale has to do is follow it and we look good. But don't make him out to be something he is not. He is not a great basketball mind. Nothing in his short coaching career indicates that.

Fortunately with Morey masterminding the strategy all we need is a player coach who motivates the guys and implement Morey's plans and then tweak as needed on the floor. Personally when Battier retires I think he could do that job easily because he is a great leader and he is smart and will pickup what Morey wants easily.

In that sense I think McHale is not the best choice but one thing is for certain Morey knows the best way you utilize Dwight is inside out. Of course you don't scrape what worked before and you do implement the PnR more, especially with 2 of the best PnR guys in Harden and Lin. But Howard came here to get more touches down low and Morey knows he needs those touches to make team honest and others more open.

You can already see Morey wants to surround Howard with shooters. So I think the offense works best when the are running inside out with Dwight first. But the actual first play on offense is to run the ball down court every chance you get. You beat the team down court in transition before they have a chance to set their D and if that gets stopped than you mix it with inside out and PnR. Don't know the %'s but maybe like 60/40 infavor of inside out. And you constantly move the ball with a strategy to get Howard open for one on one opportunities.

So you are right Houston will adapt to Dwight's game and D'Antoni is stupid to not think that but make no mistake that adaptation comes from others and not from McHale. He is just a facilitator and not even a great one but he did came around last season and I believe he will continue to listen to Moreys plans even if it has to be spoon feed by his assistants. Plus Dwight wants McHale now so for Now McHale ain't going nowhere. Even though McHale ain't no Hakeem. He is a finesse 4. he had all the dipsy doodle like Scola never a power game like Hakeem. Do you really want Howard playing like Scola. Wh try to fake when you can just run over them.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They both tried to play a similar style but LA had the best center in basketball and we had Asik. Ergo, Pringles is a freaking moron for not using his talent appropriately. As a coach you always tailor your style to your talent.

11. pacmania

pacmania Member

Agreed. I don't really think Mchale was hired because of his resume'. But thinks worked out for the better as he helped in recruiting howard. Its just ironic that rockets legends like Hakeem and others could've been hired as coach/ motivator instead of a former boston celtic. But here's hoping that it all works out well this season. Now that we have a championship calibre line-up hopefully we have a championship calibre coach.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

random statement by a random coach

13. landryfans

landryfans Member

Kobe, that is the difference, that is the chemistry killer, MDA understandably dare not address that.

14. AFS

AFS Member

Even most Rockets fans can't fathom the genius of Harden passing the ball off to teammates with 2 seconds left on the shot clock after running down the other 22 second with dribble moves.

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Because would you rather harden/Lin running the pick and roll or a Steve Nash who probably pulled a groin brushing his teeth? Not to mention our team is just plain better, younger, and gives Dwight the best chance to win both now and in the future..

16. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

There will be conflict between Harden and Howard.

Just like Kobe and Howard.

Unless Harden gave up as main ball handler and let Howard to be the leader.

17. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

If this is true, McHale is the right man to run the show. Last season, McHale showed sometimes he was clueless.

18. conquistador#11

when a coach doesn't play to the players strength, the player will struggle. that struggles of dwight and pau were on you and #8

19. thedude077

thedude077 Member

What an idiot, cry baby, whining, loser, bitter piece of trash.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Rockets are very similar to MDA's offense last season. I do think MDA is too much about the system. I think the Rockets will still be very free flowing most of the time, but also have times were they are just a hammer pounding a mismatch.