1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McGrady to answer criticism with action, not words

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince123, Feb 29, 2008.

1. vince123

vince123 Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5580604.html

McGrady cracks back on criticism
    Rocket claims he isn't fazed but wants to stop it

The criticism, Tracy McGrady said, "never worries" him.

He also said it drives him.

McGrady insisted he doesn't care about "shutting people up."

But with the expectations for the Rockets that escalated through a winning streak at 13 games dampened by Yao Ming's injury, this is a chance he said "to shut people up."

With Yao out for the season, the familiar spotlight will shift to McGrady, with responsibility for the Rockets' fate fairly or unfairly on him again.

But he declared that with a team richer in offensive options, he does not have to reprise last season's playoff declaration: "It's on me."

"It's not on me," he said. "It's on us. I think this year, we have much more of a supporting cast. As you see, my scoring is down a lot. That's because guys are making shots. We really have more offense this year."

Playoff bugaboo
    He also said that if the Rockets don't reach the playoffs and if another season ends without advancing to the second round, "I'll get criticized for that.

"My thing is I don't worry about shutting people up," McGrady said. "My drive is to take this team as far as possible. I think my teammates really believe I want to accomplish that. I think they want to do that for me. They know all the heat that I've been taking over the years. I'm motivated."

Yet, when asked about the doubts about the Rockets' chances expressed since Yao's injury was announced Tuesday, McGrady seemed to want to "shut people up."

"I never worry about what people say about our team," McGrady said. "The only way you shut people up like that is you go out and you win ballgames. ... I think we're a pretty good basketball team.

"This is a game, right? I love this game. I love playing it night in, night out. I love competing with my guys. If it doesn't happen for me, it doesn't define who I am, and I'm not going to let it. Despite what anybody says about me, the criticism about how I can't get out of the first round, that doesn't define who I am.

"I can't control that. I really can't. They got to put the blame on somebody, and it's got to be me. I'm the next-best player."

Last season, his declaration of "it's on me" was in part an acceptance of the criticism he knew would come if he and the Rockets did not advance past the first round for the first time in his career, almost daring the label.

"I'm not going to go hide in a closet somewhere because someone is talking about me," he said. "I (couldn't) care less about that.

"It drives me. It really does. I got criticized in Game 7 last year of the playoffs that I was settling too much for jumpers, despite me having 29 (points) and 13 assists. Damned if I do; damned if I don't.

"If I go out and shoot the ball 30 times, I'm being selfish. If I don't, I'm not doing enough. I'm always going to be under the gun."

Taking reservations
    Rockets players were aware of the new doubts about their chances. As with McGrady's insistence he doesn't care, there was a feeling that the reservations about the Rockets are welcome, even helpful.

"It's fine. It's cool," Shane Battier said. "It makes our jobs easier, less distractions. When you have everyone on your neck whispering sweet nothings in your ear, telling you how great you are, it makes your job tougher. Our job's easy now. No one is believing in us.

"They're not whispering."

Battier said the Rockets have been doubted all season because of past first-round failures, then their slow start. But they seem to have come to relish building defiance.

"Everybody thinks we're done," forward Luis Scola said. "Everybody thinks our season is done. I don't think so. Nobody on our team thinks so. We just have to keep working, keep winning games."

Whether to defeat the doubts or show he can disregard the criticism, McGrady seemed to welcome them. Either way, the familiar spotlight was back.

"I'm sure people will see this interview and say some things about me," he said. "Me, I don't give a damn."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

the only way the fans we'll start to truly believe is if they're going to beat denver and then dallas to start. those are 2 upper-echelon teams.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, I think those games will determine if we have a shot without the Giant.

4. bratna8

bratna8 Member

We will destroy these teams.....we lost Yao....damn Dampier will eat us up now.....yeah right!!!!

5. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Its going to be more about Landry, Scola and perhaps Hayes than about TMac.
    Its going to be about Bobby Jackson and Alston. About Battier and Deke.

Media needs a focal point, and TMac is that focal point for good or for bad.
    Yes, he is also our best player, and he will have increased responsibility now with Yao out, but, honestly, does anyone think TMac can't handle that? TMac will do his part, the onus in on the rest of the team - and frankly, I'm as excited as I've ever been to watch these next few games.

6. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Denver is hardly a top team. AI is a joke. I feel sorry for Melo

7. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

nothing else would do ...

go Rockets!

8. BlackSombrero

BlackSombrero Member

Wow, the Rockets sound ANGRY. I say let the naysayers keep talking down on this team. They'll just use is it as fuel to launch off major upsets this year.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Really? I felt like Iverson is having the best year of his career while Melo is a 1 dimensional uninspired player.

10. apocclass

apocclass Member

AI a joke ? he has burned us plenty throughout his career. dont kid yourself, denver is definitely a top team when they focus and move the ball. they looked very focused when they beat seattle by 45 last night. they know how big the game against us will be and will be ready.

we can still win i'm just saying, don't let your expectations get too high for this team and end up disappointed. it is going to take alot for this team to make the playoffs. i know we played .600 ball while yao was out last year, but we had a lot of weak teams during that stretch. this year we have a tough part of our schedule coming up, in a conference that is tougher than it was last year.

that said..... we will make the playoffs EASILY and upset some clowns in the first round :cool:

11. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

No the focal point really is T-Mac. No one else is going to demand nearly as much defensive attention, double or triple teams at times. He is what is going to make our offense work. Think about it, take T-Mac out our line-up. Who creates the offense now? Alston? (In no way bashing Skip). But yes, it is definitely about team. He can't do it alone. He's tried, check out these 5 playoff series. Look what he did with the Orlando teams...without him, those teams are very high lottery pick bound. That's Lebron type territory. Yes again, he can handle it. Go TEAM!!!

2001/2002 Orlanda Magic
    1. McGrady 44.5 30.8 6.3 5.5
    2. D. Armstong 39.5 15.3 2.8 3.3
    3. Pat Garrity 36.8 8.5 7.5 2.3
    4. Horace Grant 31.8 4.5 7.8 2.3
    5. Troy Hudson 26.3 12.8 1.0 1.5
    6. Mike Miller 18.0 4.8 1.3 1.3
    7. Patrick Ewing 17.0 6.5 5.5 1.0

2000/2001 Orlando Magic - 21 Years Old
    1. McGrady 44.5 33.8 6.5 8.3
    2. D. Armstrong 41.8 13.3 5.5 4.8
    3. P Garrity 29.3 12.0 1.3 0.5
    4. Bo Outlaw 33.5 8.5 10.5 2.3
    5. Mike Miller v28.0 12.0 4.5 1.8
    6. Dee Brown 18.0 6.0 1.0 1.3
    7. Troy Hudson 14.0 4.3 2.3 2.3

2002/2003 Orlando Magic
    1. McGrady 44.0 31.7 6.7 4.7
    2. Drew Gooden 33.1 14.0 12.7 0.6
    3. D. Armstrong 32.3 9.4 2.4 3.7
    4. Giricek 32.0 9.4 3.1 1.0
    5. J. Vaughn 18.7 4.9 0.9 3.6
    6. Garrity 23.3 4.0 2.6 0.7
    7. Whitney 15.9 3.1 1.6 1.0

2004/2005 Houston Rockets
    1. McGrady 43.0 30.7 7.4 6.7
    2. Yao Ming 31.4 21.4 7.7 0.7
    3. Mike James 24.4 11.6 1.9 2.3
    4. Jon Barry 26.3 8.6 4.1 1.3
    5. David Wesley 40.0 8.1 3.0 3.3
    6. Bob Sura 25.9 7.9 3.9 2.0
    7. Ryan Bowen 17.9 2.6 2.0 0.9
    8. S.Padgett 15.6 3.6 2.7 0.6

2006/2007 Rockets
    1. McGrady 39.9 25.3 5.9 7.3
    2. Yao Ming 37.1 25.1 10.3 0.9
    3. Rafer Alston 44.0 10.9 6.9 5.0
    4. Shane Battier 38.7 10.3 2.6 2.1
    5. J. Howard 22.3 5.0 4.4 1.0
    6. Head 20.1 4.6 2.7 1.1
    7. Hayes 28.1 3.7 6.4 0.4
    8. Deke 5.7 1.3 1.6 0.1

12. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Wade used to get so much credit when he was with a Shaq that still had something left in the tank. Now look at Wade, his team is in last place. If you put Tmac in the same situation with Shaq, then he would probably be considered a champion right now. I just don't think Tmac ever had much help from his teammates. Kobe didnt do anything till this year when he has all kinds of help. Now people consider him a MVP.

13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

D-Wade was just completely insane in those playoffs, Don't discredit a champion because thats what he is.

You have to give him credit for playing hurt and giving a losing team everything he has. Tracy admitted to quitting on his team in the same situation, remember.....

14. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Im going to discredit Wade because he hasnt done anything before Shaq went to Miami. The Heats are tanking games and from watching the Lakers/Heats, Wade seemed like he quit on his team too.

15. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Have to disagree with you here. Everything he has? If he was giving everything he has, they wouldn't have lost 24 out of 25. Don't let his stats fool you, he's NOT giving everything he has. They're tanking, plain and simple

16. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Yeah seriously para....Wade must sux if he's giving it his all and his team is 11-45 in the EASTERN CONFERENCE.

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

ur funny. did u see his defense on vujacic of all ppl v. the lakers on TNT a few nights ago? did u see his defense PERIOD this yr? he's worse than tmac not trying dude.

u have been criticizing tmac for not giving his full effort and ur giving wade credit for trying on a losing team?

i guess when u win something, it gives u a ton of passes :rolleyes:

18. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Denver is a joke, but not because of AI.

19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Yes, everything he has.

You don't get to the line 7 times a night and have live STL and BLK stats without playing hard......

They are tanking, but Pat Riley would let it be known if Dwayne was tanking.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

T-Mac must have read this board.