1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs sign Chandler Parsons to 3-year, $46M offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 9, 2014.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

Rockets would not have ben paying the tax if they had matched Parsons' offer.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Don't need to guess, only one of those factors changed between him saying "Don't trade for me, I won't re-sign" and signing as a free agent.

Added to that, that Dwight was pretty much here from the all star break onwards.

3. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

We were one of the most profitable teams last year. By not matching the offer, it is insulting as a fan. IMO, This reeks of valuing profit over improving the team. I have a hard time buying that maintaining flexibility is better then keeping talent with how this off-season has gone thus far. If Parsons continues to improve upon last year, would his contract really be a negative value, or impossible to move?

4. Remii

Remii Member

Les gets the money from the fans.

I got that sense as well. Still pissed though.

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Well that worked out just fine Morey...just fine...

6. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

If they would have lost Asik and Lin and matched Parsons then yeah you're right no tax paid. But when they signed Ariza it was a far gone conclusion that Parsons was gone. Les would have paid the tax to add Bosh but he was not going to pay that tax for Ariza. And yeah Parsons is better than Ariza, but you're getting more for your money by paying Ariza $8 million vs Parsons $15 million.

7. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

People I am just giving you the logic behind what was done. I liked Parsons too. He was one of my favorites too. But the CBA was revised to hinder teams from having 3 max guys on the team. It can still be done but its a lot harder to do that now. Blame the CBA don't blame me. If you people want to relive the 1994 1995 years then not matching Parsons was the way to go. Its just economics.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Should only really run 3 max guys if you have 3 guys that are worth it, that Parsons contract....is an albatross.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

Tax threshold is about $76 mil. Matching Parsons with Ariza has the Rockets at about $67 mil.