1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marriage] Prenuptial Agreements - what does CF think?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmc89, May 22, 2014.

?

Yay or nay, or I don't know?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2014.
  1. I am for them, under the right circumstances

61 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. I am against them, regardless of the circumstances

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. I am undecided

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Reading the Russian billionaire divorce settlement thread has been interesting. Knowing what you now, would you create a prenup with your SO, or advise a friend to get one? This is for those who plan to get married or already have.

I am for them if the woman has her own attorney, has input in the process, and eventually gets reimbursed by me since I'll have initiated it. A great analogy that a family lawyer said was that a prenup is like a seat-belt or a motorcycle helmet: you don't wear them because you hope, plan, or likely expect bad things to happen, but if it happens, you'll be glad it's there.

Unemployment and divorce are one the biggest stress events on mens' lives. In addition, it is a huge financial impact; if other people work for you, they may lose their jobs. Why would anyone refuse to wear a seat-belt if they were told the chance of them getting into a car accident was between *20-50% that day? That's the range for marriages that end up in divorces. Yet, because our society treats marriage as this romantic, precious thing instead of what it is in other cultures (a mechanical, unemotional contract), one spouse backs down when broaching the subject. "You don't think we'll make it? You don't trust me? [Wail/Sobbing]".

*1/4 of my friends that got married a few years after graduating from college are now divorced. The majority of them said getting a prenup would be a must in the future. There was a positive correlation between those who had prenups for their first marriage, their ethnicity, their public religiousness, and whether they are still together today.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I am for them if I make more money. If she makes more then not so much.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Well said, like your analogy and couldn't agree more. The aggressive romantification of marriage makes people turn blind regarding the possible huge financial burden that comes with divorce, especially given the high divorce rates.

It's essentially the same as an insurance, yet none of the nay sayers would decline an insurance and say they trust traffic and their car.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not for them. Marriages depend on trust. If you don't trust your would be spouse, don't get married.

Granted, I value the marriage much more than potential money losses.

1 person likes this.
  5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If I were a billionaire, I would not be getting married. What would be the upside?

6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Let's make it clear, this thread is a tangent to the "Russian Billionaire Divorce Settlement", and we are not discussing the same topic.

I think that a prenup generally is not a good idea, but in a certain case a prenup might be the prudent thing to do. I agree totally with Joe Joe, you have to trust the person you are going to marry, if not the marriage is doomed from the very beginning! If you don't trust him/her, why marry them?

The only scenario that I personally think where a prenup might be a wise and prudent choice is if you have children from a previous marriage (you're a widow). If I'm getting married again, I'm have to look out for my children/grandchilden's future, and what I'm going to leave them when I die! I can't take ANY chances that my second marriage ends up in divorce, and my children's future stability is taken from them! I have to make sure that whatever wealth I've been able to accumulate benefits them and not someone else! In other words the prenup isn't for me and my wealth, but for my children/grandchildren and their future!

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

love

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/venzPNvge18" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Prenup has nothing to do with trust. Every second marriage ends in divorce and it's only natural that a lot of couples end up losing attraction and can not continue.

It doesn't mean you don't trust a partner if you want to be prepared in the unfortunate case of a divorce, it just means you don't rule out anything bad happening and want to be in control afterwards.
    O

Of course you marry in order to be together forever in the best case, but it's still smart to have an insurance just in case. Again, half of marriages end up in divorce and its no terrible or rare thing, it doesn't mean you don't value or hate your partner, sometimes it's just better to divorce and move on.

9. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Everybody who gets married in Texas (or any other state for that matter) already has a prenup - it's what the state's divorce laws dictate. The only question is whether you want to substitute your own prenup for the state's default prenup.

10. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Don't get married if you aren't fully committed and trusting of the woman

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This thread is a spinoff of the Billionaire thread where you are making an argument that isn't relevant to this thread at all.

If couples want a prenup before they get married, go for it. I have no problem with them choosing to do that.

That was not the case in the marriage of the billionaire.

Here's a point though about that case and a prenup. Most people who get married before they've made any real money would not have a prenup that would preclude a spouse from getting any of the future earnings.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The statement you quoted is 100% about this thread and not about the billionaire. Read before replying.

1 person likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Trust is a belief in reliability. Being prepared for something to be unreliable is the opposite of trust.

If your spouses marriage vows aren't the only assurance you need in the reliability in marriage, you don't trust them and probably shouldn't be marrying them. My experience are that the people that don't trust others, generally aren't trustworthy. Granted, I don't think most people are trustworthy enough to be getting married.

#13 Joe Joe, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  14. justtxyank

You read before replying.

I said "This thread" is a spinoff of the billionaire thread "where you are making an argument."

Let's break this down. In that sentence, the "where you are making an argument" refers to the "billionaire thread." I then say you argument in the billionaire thread has nothing to do with THIS thread.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I didn't mention the billionaire with one word, neither did my sentiments go along with his story here. I don't know why you even brought it up or talk about my points in the other thead, it makes no sense. Either reply to this thread and my general thoughts about prenup or don't say anything.

16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

so why get married a second time? by your definition you don't trust your second fiance. what you want to leave to your children is irrelevant. shouldn't you have looked out for yourself (and future children) with a prenup in the first marriage?

1 person likes this.
  17. justtxyank

Is thread spawned out of that thread?

If you say yes then you understand what my post was referencing.

If you say no then you are wrong.

:)

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This, he completely contradicts himself with his sentiments about a second marriage.

If he's already divorced he suddenly has to look out for his children, but when engaging for the first time it's completely irrelevant?

You either care for your financial security or you don't.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yes it did, but his thread is about the general sentiments and has nothing to do with the billionaire and the discussion should stay with that.

20. justtxyank

When Clutch gives you the power to control what people discuss in a thread, you let me know and I will follow your instructions.