1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marriage] Prenuptial Agreements - what does CF think?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmc89, May 22, 2014.

?

Yay or nay, or I don't know?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2014.
  1. I am for them, under the right circumstances

61 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. I am against them, regardless of the circumstances

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. I am undecided

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. Major

Major Member

So giving up half your joint assets is financial ruin? What does that mean for the wife that gets nothing? By that standard, any woman that's considering giving up any earnings to raise a family should never agree to a pre-nup.

2. SexyButIgnorant

Obviously. But for you, ideally, since you said marriage is a commitment, what happens if the two people fall out of love? Just break the commitment? Or keep the commitment?

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Just let it go Major and consider the audience.

Guys knocks up a girl? She's a ho after the benjamins.

Guys need to wear condoms and get prenups to protect themselves from all these hoes that are after all the man's hard earned dollar bills.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Just laughable how you try to ridicule, twist and simplify the statements of every person that disagrees with your views on this topic. It's okay to have opposing views, but putting words and views into someone's mouth is not the way to help your case.

5. justtxyank

I'm not trying to help my case with anyone. But my posts are not twisting any words, it's using the words posted throughout this forum in threads that are active right now to offer context to the viewpoints expressed.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Read your post that I replied to again and show me howyour over the top and hateful examplesare a reflection of the audience in this thread. I'm done with this topic, no point in arguing with someone that doesn't even try to have an honest discussion.

7. justtxyank

A poster says the two most important things a man can do...pause...THE TWO MOST IMPORTANT THINGS...are wear a condom, his, that he disposes of and get a prenup when he gets married.

Yep, a poster who thinks those are the two single most important things for a man to do has a really positive view on women. Give me a break. Someone who says something like that is basically saying that a man has to be careful to protect himself because women are out to bring "financial ruin" (his words, not mine) on you by deceiving you (has to be YOUR condom that YOU dispose of) and getting pregnant or married and then taking your money.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would say love can be either, both, or neither depending on context. For a marriage to last, the love needs to have both.

Granted, there may be some cases that everything goes right for a couple that never faces adversity that causes the marriage to not be practical for one or both partners.

I have not meet many people that I feel are committed enough in a relationship that I would give them the advice, "Y'all should get married".

9. Major

Major Member

True - I just can't help it. I'm fascinated by the mentality towards marriage and women. I thought it was particularly interesting that there is no concern for the woman; even accepting the idea of "defensive marriage", no thought to the idea that she might have more assets or make more money. It's all about protecting the guy. I've argued a lot in the D&D that the US isn't as sexist as some people claim - but threads and arguments like this really don't help my cause.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ LOL... no man would EVER sign a prenup when the woman is rich... ask here... they wouldn't. :grin:

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yes, but I'd be crazy to trust the courts.

Having more wealth matters, because it was earned/received before your marriage. Should your wife cease to love you, you should not have to support her from what you possessed prior to marriage.

Marriage isn't always forever, and neither is love.

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I am 43 years old, and I'm going to be a stay at home husband. I found my sugar baby who happens to be 10 years younger than me. She also makes over 100k a year, hence the stay at home part. :)

The best part no prenup!

13. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Teach me.

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

If you can't trust her with the keys to your life now, just don't get married. If there are things you do that you can't give up for her or make her part of, don't get married. If you can't hand over 100% of your estate to her and trust her to not screw you over, don't get married.

People screw up this marriage thing because they think it is a romantic cohabitation agreement. It's not.

Marriage is man and wife becoming one. In any area where you're not one, you're not really married yet. Prenuptial agreements are for people who plan to fail.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

40%–50% of all marriages in America result in divorce so maybe your notion of "Marriage is man and wife becoming one" is incorrect. People change over time so not much you can do about that. If you don't hedge your risk its on you.

16. JeopardE

The commitment is greater and stronger than "being in love". If being in love was the reason you made the commitment, then you will fail because those feelings will wear off.

Besides, if you "fall out of love", you already failed to honor your commitment because you did not invest time and effort in maintaining your love continuously.

17. JeopardE

40-50% of marriages fail because majority of people don't know what marriage really is or how to make it work. People say they "change over time" because they want to dodge the responsibility of keeping their marriage relationships strong.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My view is that if you love your would be wife/husband, prior to the wedding, one should want the best for both. A prenup basically says one is looking out for one's own interest instead of both of you.

Romantic love faulters. No matter if your spouse falls out of romantic love for you, it is still your choice to how you react.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

All the working I do is to provide for my wife and kids. I don't see the point of having a contract to give me the flexibility to not provide for them. What would be the point of my life then? What is money good for?

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

With a pre-nup, it becomes your choice on how to react.

Best for both may not be for one to pay a large settlement to the other. I'm positive long drawn out court battles aren't best for anyone.