1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowry having best season in Raptors franchise history

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by omgTHEpotential, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think trading Lowry for a first round pick was a reasonable move, especially in light of how Lowry wasn't seeing eye to eye with McHale at that time. But not pursuing Lowry hard in favor of Melo instead was a bad move.

People keep saying that we are better off having Harden as our PG than having Lowry. That is true. But that does not make preferring Melo over Lowry a good move.

For example, "Basketball Reason" saved us from mediocrity. But it does not mean that it was a good thing Stern did. Something good turned out from something bad does not make the bad thing good.

2. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

2001 Vince Carter set a very, very high bar for that honor. Statistically, he was like if you took current Demar Derozan (already great) and made him a 40% three-point shooter and elite (for a wing) shotblocker.

But yeah, Lowry will surpass that if he stays on his current pace, he's doing some incredible stuff on ludicrous efficiency.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Hold on a sec. Kyle Lowry is a primary and secondary playmaker. Is a two way player. Can create his own shot. Is a good 3pt shooter. Can play off the ball (as a shooter) and be effective. And believes strongly in analytics.

That is the VERY DEFINITION of the type of player that fits next to James Harden.

Doesn't fit? Recalibrate your thinking.

YOLO likes this.
  4. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Harden

My bad, I'd forgotten about the draft pick which went to Oklahoma for Harden, came via Lowry trade.

5. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Mr jackup always and forever

6. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

If you think adding Kyle Lowry to the current team wouldn't make the team better, I don't know what to tell you.

Westbrook wasn't putting up these numbers with Durant either, but it doesn't make OKC better without Durant.

Curry isn't putting up the same historic numbers this year as he did last year due to not having the ball as much and of course some regression, but few would argue that his team isn't better due to the addition of Durant.

IMO, Harden with lowry would see a dip in his numbers, particularly assists and time of ball possession, but he would still score just as efficiently and proficiently (if not more so) as well as have plenty of time with the ball. If by "moving off the ball" you mean he wouldn't lead the league with the ball in his hands, yes he wouldn't, but that doesn't mean he still won't have the ball as much as most top playmakers in the league aside from westbrook and CP3.

And the trade off is, the Rockets would have another elite playmaker, which not only lets Harden rests some, it also makes the offense that much more versatile and dangerous. Furthermore Lowry would improve the teams defense and depth by moving Beverley to the second unit and joing Gordon to form probably the best backcourt reserve in the league.

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Let me better explain my stance, I would love Lowry here. But as a bev type player. Plays the 2 and handles the rock when Harden sits. Maybe a handle a few possessions with both on the court but that's it.

Lowry being the point makes this offense half of what it is and we would be a worse off team. At least, we would have to have a different offensive style than currently.

This offense and system is 100% predicated around Harden and his ability to carve a defense any way he desires. If it was designed around Lowry running the point we would not be this dominate.

8. hahachui

hahachui Member

Lowry was my favourite rockets back in the days. I always think he is much better than Dragic......

Love to see he is playing well.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Lowry finally got past playoff woes middle of last year's postseason. He had a good series in the semis and ECF. Needs to SUSTAIN it to rid of that playoff choker question mark, but at least its trending upward instead of down.

Like others said, we've seen this before. Lowry always STARTS the season hot, but drags and putters at the end.

Lowry might be an example of NBA schedule being too rigorous. He's doing what he's supposed to do, play all-out HARD the WHOLE way start to finish. He's not pussing out / mental-midget /wilting flower at the end. But realistically it isnt sustainable when you cant get proper rest and recovery. Its a breakdown waiting to happen

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He should be in the MVP conversation

11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

It's certainly possible, but I think you can still make the case that Vince Carter's 2000-2001 season was better.

Anyways, he's still gonna be Lebron's b!tch come May. B-)

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

But wasn't he told to wait for #7 CryMelo - Key to a Championship

13. joomba

joomba Member

Lowry's last 5 games :

Toronto 2-3

19.8 PPG 3.3 RPG 5.5 APG

FG 39.7% 3PT 28.1%

Classic Lowry, starts off the season very strong, then peters off towards the end.

Another playoff disaster waiting?