1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Listen.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dandorotik, Sep 26, 2017.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

For all those who care enough to understand: I have a friend on FB who just posted this backstory. Did you know this?

Aug 14, 2016- Colin Kaepernick sits for the national anthem.....and no one noticed.

Aug 20th, 2016- Colin again sits, and again, no one noticed.

Aug 26th, 2016- Colin sits and this time he is met with a level of vitriol unseen against an athlete. Even the future President of the United States took shots at him while on the campaign trail. Colin went on to explain his protest had NOTHING to with the military, but he felt it hard to stand for a flag that didn't treat people of color fairly.

Then on on Aug 30th, 2016 Nate Boyer, a former Army Green Beret turned NFL long snapper, penned an open letter to Colin in the Army Times. In it he expressed how Colin's sitting affected him.

Then a strange thing happened. Colin was able to do what most Americans to date have not...

He listened.

In his letter Mr. Boyer writes:
    "I’m not judging you for standing up for what you believe in. It’s your inalienable right. What you are doing takes a lot of courage, and I’d be lying if I said I knew what it was like to walk around in your shoes. I’ve never had to deal with prejudice because of the color of my skin, and for me to say I can relate to what you’ve gone through is as ignorant as someone who’s never been in a combat zone telling me they understand what it’s like to go to war.

Even though my initial reaction to your protest was one of anger, I’m trying to listen to what you’re saying and why you’re doing it."

Mr. Boyer goes on to write "There are already plenty people fighting fire with fire, and it’s just not helping anyone or anything. So I’m just going to keep listening, with an open mind.

I look forward to the day you're inspired to once again stand during our national anthem. I'll be standing right there next to you."

Empathy and understanding was shown by Mr. Boyer.........and Mr. Kaepernick reciprocated. Colin invited Nate to San Diego where the two had a 90 minute discussion and Nate proposed Colin kneel instead of sit.

But why kneel? In a military funeral, after the flag is taken off the casket of the fallen military member, it is smartly folded 13 times and then presented to the parents, spouse or child of the fallen member by a fellow service member while KNEELING. The two decided that kneeling for the flag would symbolize his reverence for those that paid the ultimate sacrifice while still allowing Colin to peacefully protest the injustices he saw.

Empathy, not zealotry under the guise of patriotism, is the only way meaningful discussion can be had. Mr. Kaepernick listened to all of you that say he disrespects the military and extended an olive branch to find a peace.

When will America listen?

Point is, CF, we can all learn from this story.

The truth often lies in the middle.

Seek to learn the opposing side's point.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This does not fit the right wingnut narrative. Thus, it must be Fake News.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Thanks for posting that. Good story.

edwardc likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What a great story. Thanks for posting it. I hadn't seen that, and it is quite moving. If only the rest of the country could have similar experiences. Perhaps they would understand that we are, all of us, one great country, and far greater united than tearing each other apart.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem here is that Kap didn't have a point. He was reacting to an armed black criminal being shot by a black man.....what "point" do you think he had? Are we supposed to feel bad for the criminal? Was there something wrong with him being shot? What actions need to be taken so that the armed criminal can get away next time or have time to kill the officer?

The problem with this whole mess is that it is just really stupid.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  6. edwardc

edwardc Member

NO not this time BG you won't turn something that has been going on for decades and that it stupid for them to stand up to bring awareness to this issue save it stop trolling everytime you don't agree with the facts that black American have been dealing with injustice and mistreatment by police and the justice system get over yourself and open your eyes.

el gnomo likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I fairly and accurately described the event that triggered Kap's "protest", by all means, tell me what Kap wanted to be different about that situation? What was he hoping his protest would change about that situation?

By all means, explain how this wasn't stupid if you can.

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

That wasn't the only event that took place man take off the blinder and see the pain that black and brown have been dealing with do me and the rest of America a favor get up and go to the neighbor hoods and see what really going on.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You sound like you're having a manic episode half the time you're posting. You sure you aren't bipolar? Chill-out, make some friends or something but stop ruining threads with your spamming.

stop responding to him. he needs things to do...you're helping it.

el gnomo likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That was literally the event that caused Kap to start his BS, he started it right afterwards.....You simply can't say that it wasn't the reason he did it just because it would make him look like a moron for doing so and would kill the credibility of the whole thing. Again, this thread is about listening to people's point, so by all means, tell me what point he was trying to make by protesting the Milwaukee incident.

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

It more than just one incident that's the point your not getting.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What I think you are missing is that even if there were multiple incidents of criminals getting shot by police, it still doesn't amount to a legitimate reason to protest. When you say "it's more than just one incident", it misses the point, the incident that triggered this whole ordeal was a situation where absolutely nothing wrong happened. There could be 1000 incidents where absolutely nothing wrong happened and it wouldn't change a thing.

13. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

If Colin wants to bring people to his side for his cause why do something that would anger half of the population while contributing nothing to what he believes is the problem. Colin is an instigating piece of ****. After that, he started to wear Feidal Castro shirts to press conferences. Attention w**** got what he wanted. Get bent Colin.

14. edwardc

edwardc Member

Everyone that was killed were not in the act of committing a crime. You will never get it cause you don't want too.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Like everyone in the world that gets killed? Of course not, I never suggested that everyone who dies is in the act of committing a crime....

Anyway, that was fun, can we get back on topic now? We're not talking about everyone that dies, we're talking about the Kap protest nonsense, which is based on an armed criminal being shot by police.

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

I didn't get off topic anyway that fact he was asked and listened to Mr. Boyer's request says he not just doing something to be doing sometime there is a mean and purpose for this protest.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So then explain what he hopes to change in a situation like the one that caused him to start sitting out the anthem. So far you've done nothing but dodge that question, but if Kap has a point, you should be able to answer it.

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

It's not just about what he ans many others are hoping to change it more about bringing awareness to the injustices that have been taking place.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What injustices? Again, the incident that triggered this whole thing was not an example of an injustice.....and in fact it's pretty hard to find legitimate examples of injustice yet we get all manner of r****ded comments about innocent black men being murdered in the streets by cops anyway. Again this is just yet another example of a protest being founded based on a lie or a misrepresentation and thus it has no "point" to be made.

If you disagree, by all means, prove otherwise.

20. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Sit down with a black man or woman. Listen to their story about living in this country. I am sure you will hear those who will praise the freedoms they have here, especially compared to other countries. But if you have experienced what I have, you will also hear stories about lifelong profiling, racism, and prejudice that they are not making up. If it were one or two, I'd excuse it as exceptions. But too many have come forth to tell their story, and I did listen to them. And they told me about things b/c I asked and I tend to talk a lot.

Just off the top of my head: A best friend in NY when I was a teenager (Arthur), a deliver driver who I worked with at Mr. Gattis for 2 years (Ralph), a student I had for one year at Dulles High School (Lamar), a colleague who I have known for over 18 years (Eric), a person who dated a friend of mine for several years (Charvette), and a few clients with whom I've had this discussion (not all, but a few- one who has been my client for over 10 years and is a highly successful black executive at Frito-Lay).

For the latter, we had a prolonged discussion about whether to include the fact that he was a member of the Black MBA Association. The discussion turned to recent incidents, and a bit of his life story, and that's when you realize there really is such a thing as white privilege (I won't over-exaggerate it, but I honestly feel it does exist).

I'm not saying that there are incidents in which the victims were at fault. But it is very unlikely that ALL are on the onus of the victims, particularly based on video evidence we all have seen.

Innocent black men have been murdered in the streets. They are all innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Sometimes, they didn't deserve to go to trial b/c they put police officers in direct threat of losing their lives. But this has not happened in many cases. Innocent black men have lost their lives over police brutality / errors, and those black men can never get their lives back. No supposed crime they committed meant that they deserved to die.

Again, some did b/c police officers' lives were in imminent danger. But this is certainly not the case with all of them.

I understand where you are coming from and do see a point in some instances.

The problem, I feel, is that you do not allow for the fact that we also have a point in some instances.

I do promise to listen to the other side more. I hope they do the same.

edwardc, No Worries and el gnomo like this.