1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Listen.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dandorotik, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No one said that and that clearly isn't the case. In reality I can't think of an incident where racist cops "murdered" an innocent black person without repercussion....so it's not that only one example turned out to be BS, damn near all have turned out to be BS or simply not an example of the narrative. I mean, you've gotta have at least a few legit examples if you are going to push a narrative right?

This was not an example of an innocent person being "murdered" by racist cops, it was an example of a tragic misunderstanding caused by a kid with an incredibly realistic looking gun. There was no racism involved, and the reason the officers were not punished was due to there being no criminal liability when it came to the incident. He had what they reasonably believed was a real handgun, and when they shouted at him to drop it, he instead raised it.

So yeah, while tragic, that's not even close to a legitimate example of the narrative that is being pushed. Better luck next time.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, it could have been anyone really.....and that's why there was no finding of criminal liability and that's why it's not an example of racist cops out hunting innocent black people. It's an example of a tragic misunderstanding. If you, me, or anyone is walking around a park with a realistic looking gun and officers approach and tell you to drop the gun and you do really anything other than that, you are likely to get shot. Carrying a gun is dangerous and you accept all sorts of different rules and standards once you choose to do so.....which is why I don't. If you are carrying something that looks nearly identical to a real gun, you have accepted the same burden.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's not a tragic misunderstanding when the officers committed an EASILY avoidable mistake.

You don't need to be professionally trained to understand that you DONT DRIVE RIGHT UP TO A SUSPECTED GUNMAN.

Bobby, I know that you were a pog/rear echelon mother ****er when you served but let me tell you as a grunt that even in damn war zone, we never rushed towards a suspected gunman. We approached slowly with cover from a distance and repeated commands from a distance.

Anyone with the most basic level of common sense should understand that if you have an unknown suspected gunman, keep your distance, use your squad car as cover and make direct verbal commands that are easily understood... From a distance.

So these officers either

A. Lacked the most basic level of common sense, a level that you hoped would be screened out from department hiring practices.

B. Lacked empathy for the suspect to not provide the chance from a distance to give commands under cover.

el gnomo likes this.
  4. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Does anyone think the officers would have fired shots if it was a white kid?

5. fchowd0311

Nope. They would have kept their distance. Used their squad car as cover and used a air horn to shout clear and precise orders and then proceed to find out it was a bb gun.

#65 fchowd0311, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    el gnomo likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

That's pretty much exactly what I went through a couple of years ago. Slow hands, 2 pistols pointed at my head, then cuffed in the cruiser, then let go once they realized they were looking for somebody else.

It really does pay to be white.

el gnomo and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

As common sense and courtesy for your employer and fellow employees.

8. fchowd0311

If your employer agrees and embraces then drinks all around I guess... Except for the President.

9. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

The NFL brought politics into the situation in 2009. As I mentioned (and Tallanover agreed with me), they should not even play the anthem. Problem solved.

ipaman likes this.
  10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

That misunderstanding should never have happened. Those officers should be held accountable. When you're talking about life and death, there must be much more care taken.

But I don't want to argue here. Hopefully people all over continue (or begin) to engage in meaningful dialogues to make things better.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure it should have never happened, the kids' parents shouldn't have let him roam the streets playing with the gun, the officer driving shouldn't have pulled up so close, and the kid shouldn't have started to raise the gun when the cops told him to drop it. There was a lot that went wrong that led to this tragedy and the officers were punished for their part in it. One was fired, one got suspended without pay over it.

That said, there was no criminal wrongdoing on any part, so that's why you don't see criminal charges going anywhere. Terrible things can happen without a crime being committed, and those terrible things can be tragic, but that doesn't mean you use that incident to push a false narrative.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Never argue with a sociopath, especially one with tons of time on his hands.

#72 CometsWin, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    No Worries, ElPigto and el gnomo like this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

lol at the blame the parents line

His friend gave him a toy gun that day and he was playing with it at a park.

That equals roaming the streets with a gun to you lol.

As for him raising his gun, there's tape. He didn't raise anything. A car sped up on him and someone shouted. He turned and flinched and within 2 seconds he was on the ground bleeding to death and no one bothered to help him.

el gnomo likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

Seriously. I guess I had bad parents for letting my 12 year old self roam around with friends with our bikes around our neighborhood without adult supervision.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You are lucky to be alive.

16. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

An innocent child was gunned down quite literally seconds after being given a warning.

Yes, a "misunderstanding" that doesn't have an analogous occurrence in the white community. This black child was assumed to have a real gun, an assumption that likely wouldn't have been made as quickly if Rice had been white.

I don't know whether there was overt racism or not, I don't know enough about the officer involved to make such a judgement. However, the perception that black people are more violent, more criminally prone, and more likely to possess firearms illegally certainly contributed to Rice being gunned down.

I am happy to stipulate that overt racism has been reduced dramatically since the 1960s. However, claiming that racism in America is a thing of the past is nothing but the denial of reality.

And thus the outrage in the black community. Rice was gunned down seconds after the cop screeched to a halt less than ten feet from him. Despite the facts that Rice was doing nothing wrong, was a 12 year old boy, and was assumed to be holding a real gun. I have no fear whatsoever that my 12 year old would be gunned down in my neighborhood playground even if he were holding an exact replica of the gun that Rice possessed at the time of his shooting. The fact that black parents DO have to worry about such things is the reason that there is outrage, protests, and charges of racism on the part of police officers.

It isn't "reasonable" to assume a 12 year old is holding a real handgun. It is reasonable to assume that such a youth is playing with a toy until proven otherwise.

They shouted at him to drop it and, when it didn't happen within about five seconds, they shot him dead. You may find that "reasonable," but the fact that you hold such a mind-bogglingly stupid opinion is a big part of the reason there is outrage.

Well, since the narrative you assume isn't even remotely close to the actual reason for the outrage, I can see how you hold such an asinine opinion.

Sorry, rookie, you'll have to try harder. Your attempt fell flat, as usual.

#76 GladiatoRowdy, Sep 28, 2017
    el gnomo likes this.
  17. GladiatoRowdy

Not even remotely true. I have quite literally zero fear of this happening in my mainly white community with my obviously Caucasian son. That's why there is outrage in the black community, because they have to fear things that don't even rate as minor concerns in the white community.

el gnomo likes this.
  18. GladiatoRowdy

Nope, not a chance.

el gnomo likes this.
  19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Are you sure that this is what minority groups are doing? Or are you just looking at outcomes and ignoring all of the other factors involved?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He was shot in less than 2 seconds.

Consider that. Less than 2 seconds.

The car sped across the park and screeched to a halt. Before the car was even fully stopped, the officer who shot was already getting out of the car and in less than 2 seconds had shot Tamir Rice.

Now, imagine you are a 12 year old boy for a minute playing in a park. A car screeches to a halt 10 feet from you. You have 1.8 seconds to react, what do you do?

A) Assume it is a police offer and drop the ground with hands behind your head.
    B) Get startled and jump or flinch or some other dangerously provocative reaction.
    C) Say a quick prayer because you are black and you know you are about to die.

At least the kid had 4 minutes on the ground of uninterrupted time to ponder the fact that he made the wrong decision before anyone bothered him with first aid.

#80 justtxyank, Sep 28, 2017
    Deckard, el gnomo and FranchiseBlade like this.