1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Listen.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dandorotik, Sep 26, 2017.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Black people across the country have time and time again complained about being profiled, discriminated against and subject to prejudice no white person can possibly comprehend bc it's impossible to put yourself in their shoes. There are millions to f people who lived through the Jim Crow era where blacks were systematically and categorically discriminated BY LAW. barely 50 years ago this occurred in our country where blacks had separate fountains, were intimidated w violence to not vote or not speak up, were forced to go to school under th cover of the national guard to protect their lives, were often murdered by whites for doing so little as being seen with white women. Yet here we are, listening to another white male who thinks that he can somehow speak for those of color on their personal day to day experiences facing discrimination - both subtle and overt - in an attempt to discredit these people's blight. Another white person who can watch video after video of black men being killed by police officers, often after no crime or simply a petty crime being committed, and csn somehow justify that those people DESERVED TO DIE. Another white male who has absolutely and unequivocally NO IDEA what it is to be black yet is compelled enough to diminish their validity because "he just doesn't see it"

Hard to imagine you could be anymore of a clown but you continue to lower the bar.

Harrisment, Deckard, edwardc and 2 others like this.
  2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

If I had never spoke with the people I did, maybe I'd be the clueless white guy too. I'd like to think I'd be able to perceive what a black person goes through in America, but who knows? The thing is, I did hear these from people I trust implicitly. How can I chalk up what they say as lying? These people had nothing to gain by lying to me. They didn't play any type of race card- matter of fact, the client that I spoke of believes that the recent push towards diversity actually helped him land his current EVP position. But he had to go through things to get to that point.

I don't want to argue with anyone on this thread (not that that's wrong, just a choice on this one). I'll just sit back and listen to what everyone says.

edwardc likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Let’s all find BtG his first black friend! Black people have endured worse than this.

#24 No Worries, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    edwardc and el gnomo like this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

BTG is a terrible person bros. I've finally decided to put him on ignore. I'm not sure why you guys insist on debating with somebody who is in denial of his own twisted views.

CometsWin, edwardc and el gnomo like this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The ones that you refuse to acknowledge that are the basis of scholarly reputable studies that you dismiss because you claim that you are above the methodical study. The experiences that minorities go through about which you have no clue because you may not know many or any in real life, and if you do, certainly don't know them well enough that they would be comfortable talking to you about those experiences. The proven inequalities that still exist in employment, promotion, education, the criminal justice system, media portrayal, etc.

Many of these have been shown to you, including the studies on this very bbs, but you just refuse to look. Maybe one day you'll be at a place in your life when you are able to actually see those things and have an understanding that the studies are valid, that people's experiences have a legitimate point of view and place in the discussion. You might even end up being a happier person. But who knows?

joshuaao, edwardc and el gnomo like this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The only one that said that was the event that caused it was you. The guy who actually started it has always had a broader approach. His belief that that one incident was a symptom of the bigger problem may have factored in, but it was never about just one incident according to the guy who actually started it. Yet, you seem to believe you know more, and won't listen to what people who've been involved in this since the beginning actually say.

You keep arguing the point that you and you alone made up. The idea that it came from just that one incident was an invention of yours. It isn't what anybody involved has actually said.

8. Buck Turgidson

It should be noted that Nate Boyer is a Longhorn.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The rest of what you wrote was garbage, so I'll respond to this part. If people don't want to be profiled, then their complaints should be with those in their group that make them look bad, not the police officers who are just trying to get home safely. When 7% of the population is committing nearly 52% of the murders, it wouldn't make sense to not be extra cautious around members of that group if you are a police officer.....even and especially if you are a member of that group.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Okay, so at least you admit that the incident that took place in his home town that was the largest story going at the time IMMEDIATELY before he started his nonsense "may have factored in", since you admit this, what about that incident was wrong and reason to protest?

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

THANK YOU for your input if he doesn't get it after that he may never get it.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

My problem is that while, sure it's possible that those who support the "innocent black men being hunted down and murdered by racist cops" narrative could have a point in some instances.....it's just that they are sooo few and far between to the point where I can't even remember the last time there was a legitimate example of that where the cop didn't do time for it. Since we're talking about an almost non existent issue, it's hard to take seriously especially when it is being talked about as if it is some kind of epidemic.

13. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

This is what is getting me about the whole protest that everyone seems to try to sweep under the rug and not address anymore , even though it was a HUGE factor.

Black people that ‘witnessed’ the ‘execution’ of a ‘gentle giant’ after a police officer , out of the blue...”obviously racially profiling”, decided to harrass the man then took his gun out and shot him when he had his hands up(I used quotes to point out all the buzz words that were used to push this false narrative). That was the story...but it was all a lie. The ‘witnesses’ said that’s how it happened, but declined to testify after the forensics came out because it showed what really happened. They lied! And got an entire movement to protest and even riot. Remember “Hands up! Don’t shoot!”? It was based on a lie. Hell, no one talks about this kid knocking over a convienence store (and the owner) anymore...like meh, no biggy, it didn’t matter.

Listen, I’m all for equality...the crap that happened in the past must have been hell for blacks in general...it was horrible. I think it’s good to remember and protest the situations that deserve to be heard. But the “cause” has been using criminals to rally behind too much lately...I’m not good with that. And people looking for equality and simply not revenge shouldn’t be good with that either. All the other instances that showed injustice showed be used as the rallying cry...not some felons that were killed assaulting he police or resisting arrest.

BTG may be a jackass some times but he has a good point that everyone here is getting on to him about simply bc of who he is. Just my two pesos.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He doesn't have a good point because he always uses this one incident to dismiss an entire cause.

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It may or may not have factored in and doesn't matter one way or the other. There are plenty of instances, studies and examples of minorities being treated unfairly by the police. So if that one incident was wrong, it doesn't change 839 other incidents that weren't wrong.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Oddly this sounds just like the current President of the United States.

edwardc likes this.
  17. body slam

body slam Member

This is a great story and I don't see why the national media does not run with it.

On a personal level I don't agree with the taking a knee protest during the national anthem, but I am understanding enough that its his right to do it. I also personally think the protest started because he lost his job as the starting QB and he was being a cry baby. He then latched on to something bigger to make himself relevant.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It really does matter though. If you are going to protest, you have to have something to actually protest and you have to be proposing some kind of change. The event that sparked this protest wasn't an example of what they were claiming to be protesting and I haven't seen them point to an actual example of what they are claiming to be protesting. When you claim that innocent black men are being hunted down and murdered in the streets by racist police officers and are facing no repercussions for doing so, you have to point to an example of that actually happening in order to have credibility in your protest.

I've yet to see anyone do so, and clearly the incident that happened immediately before Kap started his BS was not an example of that. So basically what I'm saying is, I'm gonna need some proof supporting the reasons for protest before blindly assuming they are legitimate.

19. dandorotik

I agree with you that this should be a part of the equation- we have to look at the problems in communities to determine sources and solutions. We should always work towards solutions. But part of that also has to be examining the way that law enforcement is conducted in the United States, and if there is bias and profiling, we can't ignore that as just "well, that's what they get for..."- we can't make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But certainly valid and something to look at.

20. dandorotik

If I were to guess, I would say that he figured that the way to truly bring attention to a problem is to do it in a way that does make people feel uncomfortable. Maybe that's not the way I would have done it, but I also have different life experiences. And to be fair, Colin has certainly contributed to addressing and fixing the problem.