1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers 2018- 19

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Fantasma Negro, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

"Lakers were losers...did we just expect to implant Lebron there and bum, fix?"

Well, according to everyone, especially in the media, by just adding Lebron they were a lock for making the playoffs and even to be the most dangerous team for the Warriors...lmao.

And when the bald dude says "at this point he can't carry the team for all the season", she really says "he does a triple double" lmfao, such a great analysis, pathetic.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Josh Hart hinted during a recent interview that he may need offseason surgery to get his right knee back to 100% healthy.
    "I can deal with it until the end of this season, and then I got to focus on how to treat that and the rest of the stuff," said Hart of his right knee issue. "Nothing has really helped. It’s something that I’m going to have to deal with at the end of the season. Right now it’s just trying to manage the pain and go from there." Hart had a PRP injection in his right knee going into the All-Star break, but it doesn't sound like that alleviated the issue.

Damn, Lonzo got a bad ankle, Ingram got blood clots, Hart might need surgery ... there goes the AD trade package. ;)

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol, it's like all these young guys are trying to make their value get as low as possible

ramotadab and Sajan like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, that "asset package" is looking mighty creaky right now.

ramotadab likes this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yeah and think about this . The only reason the Pels waited was for a better BOS offer .

Who is to say that Boston offers their best package now that their main competitor can no longer offer a good package .

ramotadab and vlaurelio like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Lakers explored leaving Staples Center for return to Forum, emails reveal

By Nathan Fenno
    Mar 14, 2019 | 4:00 AM

The day before the Clippers announced plans to explore building an arena in Inglewood, business mogul Irving Azoff floated an idea to Lakers owner Jeanie Buss and top advisor Linda Rambis about a move that could undercut the Clippers and prompt a seismic shift in the Los Angeles sports landscape.

“Heres my dream,” Azoff emailed Buss and Rambis on June 14, 2017. “Rebuild the forum from scratch. Lakers plus music. boom.”

The Lakers now say that vision won’t be realized, and they are believed to be discussing an extension to their Staples Center lease that runs through the 2024-25 season.

“MSG approached the Lakers about the possibility of returning to the Forum following the end of our Lease at Staples Center in 2025, but nothing came from the discussions,” the team said Wednesday in a statement.

But the emails obtained by The Times reveal the depth of the business competition between L.A.’s two NBA teams, and that Buss didn’t hesitate to discuss a move that would have left Staples Center — and downtown Los Angeles — without its marquee tenant.

Buss responded a half-hour later to the email from Azoff, who has close business ties with the Forum and its owner, Madison Square Garden Co., the New York-based sports and entertainment giant.

“I think about the vision you and [wife] Shelli had when you re-imagined the Forum and how you made it happen,” Buss wrote. “I believe you can do anything.”

Rambis chimed in: “That’s an incredible dream count me in!”

he Forum was home to the Lakers starting in 1967, after the franchise played seven years at the Sports Arena following the 1960 move from Minneapolis. The team won six NBA championships at the Forum before moving to Staples Center in 1999.

The emails are among tens of thousands of documents produced during discovery in MSG’s lawsuit against Inglewood in L.A. County Superior Court over the potential Clippers arena. MSG claims Inglewood Mayor James T. Butts Jr. tricked the company into terminating its lease to use city-owned land for parking in order to clear the way for the arena.

The mayor denies the allegation.

In a statement, MSG said it “approached the Lakers about the possibility of repurposing the Forum in the future to accommodate basketball once again, but ultimately nothing came of it.”

Participants in the email thread between Azoff, Buss and Rambis refer to Clippers owner Steve Ballmer as “Ballz” or “Balls,” express shock about his plan to build an arena, and appear to mock the chances for success.

“We were blind sided and not involved in the process,” Azoff emailed Buss and Rambis on June 14, 2017. “It’s a long way to fruition but we should talk about how it impacts the lakers, forum, etc.!”

(3) This 2017 email excerpt, part of the discovery in Madison Square Garden's lawsuit against Inglewood, is between Lakers owner Jeanie Buss, team executive Linda Rambis and MSG associate Irving Azoff. It comes as the Clippers were set to announce plans to build an arena in Inglewood:

>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> From: Irving Azoff
    >>>>>>>> Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 5:47 PM
    >>>>>>>> To: Linda Rambis
    >>>>>>>> Cc: Jeanie Buss
    >>>>>>>> Subject: Re:
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> City and FAa. Mayor screwed everyone
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> On Jun 14, 2017, at 8:34 PM, Linda Rambis wrote:
    >>>>>>>> Is this Kroenke land? It says south of century, if not who owned the land.
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> Linda Rambis
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> Manager, Special Events
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> From: Irving Azoff
    >>>>>>>> Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 3:59 PM
    >>>>>>>> To: Linda Rambis ; Jeanie Buss ; Tim Leiweke
    >>>>>>>> Subject:
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> Tomorrow am there will be a press conference in Inglewood.. they will announce that ballz and the clippers have optioned land on century blvd to build a new arena. we were blind sided and not involved in the process. it's a long way to fruition but we should talk about how it impacts the lakers, forum, etc.!
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>
    >

8. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

After discussing former Lakers player, coach and executive Jerry West joining the Clippers front office, Buss savaged the potential arena.

“They are all crazy,” she wrote. “This is a joke. Why would Adam let this happen?”

“Adam” is presumably NBA Commissioner Adam Silver.

“He has no vote unfortunately,” Azoff responded. “It will be a long legal fight.”

Buss used a nickname for Azoff when she wrote back.

“We need to see you Nugget!!” she wrote. “Didn’t Ballz see what we did to my brother?? He will have nothing but Clippers basketball. Whoopee.”

(2) This 2017 email excerpt, part of the discovery in Madison Square Garden's lawsuit against Inglewood, is between Lakers owner Jeanie Buss, team executive Linda Rambis and MSG associate Irving Azoff. It comes as the Clippers were set to announce plans to build an arena in Inglewood:

>>>>> On Jun 14, 2017, at 6:50 PM, Irving Azoff wrote:
    >>>>> Ghost town! I'm in ny. Back next week.
    >>>>>> On Jun 14, 2017, at 9:48 PM, Jeanie Buss wrote
    >>>>>> We need to see you nugget!! Didn't Ballz see what we did to my brother?? He will have nothing but Clippers basketball. Whoopee.
    >>>>>> Sent from my iPhone
    The “brother” reference hints at the dispute between Buss and her brothers Jim and Johnny over control of the Lakers that spilled into public view earlier that year. Buss fired Jim as vice president of basketball operations, called him “completely unfit” in a court filing and the brothers eventually agreed under legal pressure that their sister would serve as the team’s controlling owner for the rest of her life.

Azoff later emailed Buss a prediction about the potential Clippers arena: “Ghost town!”

The conversation turned to the Forum. The Lakers have shared the Anschutz Entertainment Group-owned Staples Center with the Clippers and Kings since 1999. Further complicating the relationship is the ownership structure: the Buss family owns 66% of the Lakers while AEG controls 27%. The company also has the first right of refusal to purchase the Lakers if they are sold. (Los Angeles Times owner Patrick Soon-Shiong is another minority investor, owning less than 5% of the team.)

An AEG spokesman didn’t respond to a request for comment.

MSG purchased the Forum in 2012 and invested more than $100 million in transforming the venue into a destination for concerts, award shows and entertainment other than big-time professional sports.

Azoff asked Buss in an email when the Lakers’ lease was up, speculated on where they might go, and noted that AEG chairman Phil Anschutz could be “an impediment.” Azoff theorized if the Lakers ended up in Inglewood, the move “would force ballz and phil back together and staples.”

When Buss replied that the lease at Staples would expire in 2025, Azoff wrote: “Just around the corner!”

He expanded on the idea of the Lakers returning to the Forum in a subsequent email, writing that “Jd” — MSG executive chairman and CEO James Dolan — “loves the idea too.”

“We will either keep it exactly as it is or build a beautiful new building for lakers and music,” Azoff continued in the email to Buss. “We have years to decide but we are going to design it now anyway just in case.

“Our experts say there is zero chance balls can build on the other site and century [boulevard] can’t handle the extra traffic. We are nearly positive it’s a non starter.”

9. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

(1) Emails that were part of the discovery in Madison Square Garden's lawsuit against Inglewood show a 2017 conversation between Lakers owner Jeanie Buss, team executive Linda Rambis and MSG associate Irving Azoff about a potential Lakers return to the Forum:
    >> -----Original Message -----
    >> From: Jeanie Buss
    >> Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 8:27 PM
    >> To: Irving Azoff
    >> Cc: Linda Rambis
    >> Subject: Re: RE: RE: RE: RE:
    >> 2024/2025 season is last.
    >> Sent from my iPhone
    >>> On Jun 14, 2017, at 8:21 PM, Irving Azoff wrote:
    >>> Whens your lease up. ? I know dodger had been discussed but the neighbors there are already up in arms about four concerts a year. I think entitlements there would take forever. I know phils an impediment too! This would force ballz and phil back together at staples.
    >>> -----Original Message -----
    >>> From: Jeanie Buss
    >>> Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 8:17 PM
    >>> To: Irving Azoff
    >>> Cc: Linda Rambis
    >>> Subject: Re: RE: RE: RE:
    >>> I think about the vision you and Shelli had when you re-imagined the Forum and how you made it happen. I believe you can do anything.
    >>> Sent from my iPhone
    >>>> On Jun 14, 2017, at 7:47 PM, Irving Azoff wrote:
    >>>> Heres my dream. Rebuild the forum from scratch. Lakers plus music. boom
    In a deposition taken last year in the MSG lawsuit, Azoff testified that Dolan supported “the idea of selling the Lakers half the Forum.”

The Clippers want to build an arena on about 22 acres of vacant land across West Century Boulevard from the 298-acre development centered on the new stadium for the Rams and Chargers. The arena project, the subject of a three-year exclusive negotiating agreement between the Clippers and Inglewood, is under environmental review.

Ballmer has said one of the reasons for the possible move is that he wants the Clippers to control their home dates — they get third pick at Staples Center — in an arena designed for basketball.

It isn’t clear from the emails, or Azoff’s deposition, how serious the discussions with the Lakers were or whether they continue.

But during the deposition on July 31, 2018, Azoff testified he had asked Lon Rosen, chief marketing officer for the Dodgers, to help woo the Lakers. Rosen didn’t respond to a request for comment.

“This is the start of what I’ll call the marketing effort to convince the Lakers to come to Inglewood,” Azoff testified. “He’s a key adviser.”

Asked about Rosen’s role, Azoff said he was “mostly making his feelings felt that it would be a good move for the Lakers to go.”

Times staff writers Bill Shaikin and Dan Woike contributed to this report.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-forum-move-20190314-story.html

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. MystikArkitect

Now that he mentions it, haven’t heard from Windhorst in a while.

13. Roxs-Redemption

A picture worth a 1000 words!

14. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

This Lakers season reminds me a lot of the Clippers 2008-09 season. Lebron James is the modern day Baron Davis. A player who came to Los Angeles for mostly non basketball reasons.

Here a cool video that reviews that 2008-09 Clipper season. You can see some parallels with that Clipper season and with this Laker season:

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Except Lebron never did anything amazing as beating Dirk in the playoffs and knocking off that #1 seed so awesomely.

ramotadab likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

No worries.

He has a medic alert bracelet in case some troublesome doors sneak up and shrink on him.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He’s not wrong

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Jason McIntyre lol...

Screenshot_20190318-191516_YouTube.jpg

Deuce, ramotadab, FLASH21 and 2 others like this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member