1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Krugman: Republicans Against Science

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Depressio, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Neat article.

It's getting more and more to the point where knowledge and intelligence is seen as theatening or "elitist" rather than necessary. Krugman's spot-on in identifying this within our current crop of GOP "candidates". How long will the GOP continue to be the pro-ignorance and anti-science party of America?

This seems apt.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Some of the republicans are embracing the ignorance, much like Islamists think the Koran has any real scientific value.

Religion, embracing ignorance throughout history !

DD

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

He's just now sounding the alarm bells?

This has been going on for the better part of 50 years.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Forget science, they are against basic math.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not really seeing this as a new thing. Even with anti-intellectual presidents in the past who would deny global warming, the nation didn't fall to pieces. We didn't make as much progress as we should have (though we still made some), but it wasn't the end of the world right there either. We'll survive a Perry presidency if it comes down to it.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Why in the heck did you have to bring up the Koran when its pretty much the same as the Old testament that all Jews and many Christians believe in.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The problem is that the cost of having an anti-intellectual president grows worse as very intellectual crises multiply.

Should also add, the last time we had an anit-intellectual president, the results were generally an unmitigated disaster. So there's that.

#8 SamFisher, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

If you disagree with us you must be anti-science.......

I am no Creationist, but Rick Perry's comment was absolutely correct.

http://www.afa.net/Blogs/BlogPost.aspx?id=2147511115

As far as being anti-intelligent; you and Krugman believe this because you think having a degree or Nobel prize makes someone intelligent. It most certainly doesn't.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, just when I think I've seen what has to be the stupidest post in D&D in a very long time, someone like you uncorks another of equal value.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

racist

12. tallanvor

Why do you even bother posting insults? Let me hold your hand and walk you through this. Why do you think the post is stupid..........

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Again, with all due respect, taking the time to delve deeply into that simply isn't worth my time. Have a nice day and try to stay cool.

14. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Good lord, how are the First Law and Second Law of Thermodynamics a "gap" in the theory of evolution? Distinction between biology and physics, for the love of whatever "Prime Mover" created the Big Bang.

15. tallanvor

Than don't post next time.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

When I read, " ...you and Krugman believe this because you think having a degree or Nobel prize makes someone intelligent. It most certainly doesn't," I have to make a comment. If you can't see the illogic behind that statement, I honestly feel sorry for you.

17. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

http://www.straight.com/article-118354/documented-proof-of-darwins-natural-selection

as for "God" being the "Prime Mover" because things are "too complicated to understand", it's that same humpty dumpty crap that the Church used in the Middle Ages to explain everything away that science hadn't caught up with, and somehow justify God because complicated things were happening. Reminds me of Austrian economics, really. While I'm fairly sure there is something beyond mere human actions that shape this world, attributing that special something to everything science hasn't explained yet is an age-old trick that has deluded people for centuries.

It's only a matter of time before science catches up.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/05/scientists-create-first-self-replicating-synthetic-life/

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

My brain hurts from all the stupid in this thread.

19. Classic

Classic Member

Lol, are you serious?

20. tallanvor

Again, why would you bother posting? There is not one bit of reason in any of your posts, just ridicule. That is not conducive to good discussion. I will try helping you again. What do you find illogical (If you had answered this question than your post would not just have ridicule it would also have reason)?