1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Krugman: Republicans Against Science

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Depressio, Aug 29, 2011.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Pic was blocked, so I couldn't see it.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My brain hurts from reading the refutation of Evolution that Tallanver posted.

Such a misunderstanding of basic science...

Sadly I've seen the same arguments put forward many times.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually that article has many "gaps" in it itself.

1. First Law of thermodynamics may not have applied at the time of the big bang. Also, most cosmotologists don't say that the universe came from nothing.

2. While it is true that entrophy is increasing, theory of evolution does not state that it is becoming more complex and towards order.

3. Fossil record is not the only evidence of evolution. Natural selection and evolution has been observed in both animal and human populations over the past 50 years. Also, most mutations do not result in death or birth defects as most go unnoticed. And there are records of mutations providing benefits within the human genome.

The guy who wrote this article does not know what he is talking about.

1 person likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A very fair point, good sir.

DD

5. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

From Tallanvor's ingenious article...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil

6. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Obviously you're a redditor... and imgur is blocked at work for you?

That sucks. That sucks a lot, bro.

7. Depressio

Article not intended to be factual, you see. Remember that guy that said 97% of what Planned Parenthood does is abortion, then when corrected, he said "that was not intended to be a factual statement"? Yeah, it's like that.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

RoyalsEgo already has your signature, fyi. :p

9. Depressio

But when did he set it? Hmmmmm~

I've had this for a while; I just don't post much. It was ಠ_ಠ before. And if he has this signature... he must be a StarCraft 2 fan... likely one of Destiny...

[​IMG]

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The larger stupidity from the paragraph is that fossils aren't the only proof of evolution. Darwin's original justification was among other things based on visible evolutionary traits like beaks on birds. Hell you can look at the modern dog as an example. Dogs didnt even exist until wolves were domesticated and eventually became what we refer to as a dog.

Also I like how tallanvor qualified his absurd article with "I'm not a creationist but.."

Lastly Rick Perry's statement wasn't even true. He said that in Texas they teach evolution and creationism side by side. (apparently despite the fact that the supreme court ruled teaching evolution as unconstitutional and the fact that the Texas School Board specifically requires only evolution be taught in science classrooms.) But what he said was plausible considering what a trainwreck state government is here that the media and the public took it as fact.

11. Sooner423

It stands to reason that the only largely soft tissue organisms that would ever become fossilized would be those that existed at the time of a catastrophic event which catered to fossilization (ice age, asteroid, etc...) . Therefore, transitional species would not appear in the fossil record at all except in very rare instances.

Oh, and you're right, fossil record is not at the crux of the theory of evolution.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think fossilization requires a catastrophic event just favorable conditions like being buried in sediment in an anaroebic environment.
    That said though dying in such environment is rare and then even rarer that millions of years ago where the creature died is then back close enough to the surface of the Earth to be found.

13. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Cosmetologists most likely don't say that the universe came from nothing, but even if they did, it's not exactly their area of expertise ;)

Cosmologists on the other hand...

I don't know how everybody can be so surprised at stupid things falling out of politicians' mouths.

As George said:

"Everybody complains about politicians. Everybody says they suck. Well, where do people think these politicians come from? They don't fall out of the sky. They don't pass through a membrane from another reality. They come from American parents and American families, American homes, American schools, American churches, American businesses and American universities, and they are elected by American citizens. This is the best we can do folks. This is what we have to offer."

As long as the American people are stupid enough to believe that evolution is just a hole-ridden theory (because it's a threat to their religion) and that global warming is a fraud perpetrated by greedy scientists (because it's a threat to their money), then American politicians will feed them those same stupid lies over and over. And the American politicians, who are also American people, will probably believe the lies, too.

Until stupid people are punished with knowledge, nothing will change.

14. Sooner423

I would think the instances where the most organisms at one time were subject to being buried in sediment in an anaerobic environment would be during a catastrophic event, but I'm sure there are many instances where those two factors take place without a catastrophic event; it just wouldn't affect nearly as large of a group of organisms.

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Why don't they teach that the Sun orbit around the earth? Or that the earth is around 6000 years old?

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

My, my, how sorry it is that the Democratic party is now viewed as the founders of both the theory of evolution and the theory of man-made global warming. I was never aware Charles Darwin and Svante Arhenius were card carrying members of the American Democratic party. These theories are not going to be changed by an elected official anymore than they are by an internet group of pro-basketball enthusiats.

I think we can rest assure that this issue has yet to tear the American fabric apart and may never. Just remember, there were more people declaring Posidonius' measurement of the Earth's circumference as correct than there were people declaring Eratosthenes measurement as correct. What is truly amazing is not just that Eratosthenes was more correct (off by a mere 100 miles) but Posidonius' errant measure may have been the biggest scientific motivator (actually now a known error) behind Columbus' discovery of America! How about that for ignorance?

17. langal

langal Contributing Member

Sorry. Double post. Using Phone and I have fat Homer Simpson like appendages.

#57 langal, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  18. langal

langal Contributing Member

How is he singling out Islam?

19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

The Dems have been the defenders of both theories, and that's all that really matters here. That can't be denied, and the fact that extremist Christian politicians refuse to acknowledge these theories exist is not good for the country or its policies.

I feel like there's a point that was supposed to be made here. I don't see it. Unless it's "scientists aren't always right, so they can be ignored", which is an argument that sadly doesn't surprise me anymore.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

were you posting before watching 'honk if you're horny'?