1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

I think he should come down here and work out at TC just to put more pressure on knicks..lol

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right, exactly. Perry came in and changed the calculus. The Rockets were upset. We've had plenty of reports now that verify that.

DonKnock likes this.
  3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

If you wanna crown them, then crown their ass.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

@ch44 -- have you heard anything new? We thank you for your contribution in advance :)

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You might be right, but never saw these credible reports. I did however... see alot of Potatoe Head tweets lol. I got most of what I saw from Woj, and some commentary from the likes of Shelburne, and Lowe, but haven't seen anything else that said "this is what the deal was" exactly.

And Yes from Woj's last report before the pause, its pretty clear the framework was complete from the Rockets, and Knicks side, but there were still questions about a potential 4th team. Again this is why I keep coming back to this notion where I question the cost of the Rockets having to compensate the 3rd and 4th team because we know the Rockets position here.

Basically I'm getting flamed here for simply stating that I think the Rockets are going to give up alot more than folks here think, and we should at least have a conversation about whether its worth that. Folks here are only thinking about the value of Carmelo alone in a trade to the Knicks, and not taking into account the 3rd or 4th team that the Rockets will also be responsible for compensating. And while Ryan Anderson is a good player, they are trading him in a position of lack of leverage IMO.

So flame away guys!

No Chance and xiki like this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not flaming you.

Listen to some of @The Cat podcasts where he references sources. Read (I think) Feigen's articles on the trade. The Rockets were under the impression the deal was "basically" done. And then the pause happened and they were very upset. They uncharacteristically went to the media and expressed that frustration.

There will be cost for sure to compensate the extra teams. First round pick, 2nd round picks, Hartenstein, rights to some international guy, etc. I don't know what the exact prices will be. However, the Rockets are not including Eric gordon or Clint Capela in a deal for Melo.

As for Potato, you can knock him all you want, but he's credible. He's been vouched for now by both an ESPN writer (Ian Begley) and @The Cat AND the things he's reported about what was told to both Melo and to Courtney Lee ended up being verified by Woj.

7. dobro1229

What? Of course teams want Ryan Anderson. They just dont want to pay him 20 million a year for the next few years without being compensated to do so. Its also public knowledge that the Rockets have to move him to acquire Carmelo Anthony. There is this thing called leverage that the Rockets do not have with the 3rd and possibly 4th team. Not sure why this is so incredibly hard to understand.

8. bongman

bongman Member

Not sure if I agree on who's got the leverage. Houston does not have to do anything and still be very competitive. NY has a player whom they are paying tons of money but does not want to play for them. They have a problem and needs to get rid of it. Who has the leverage here?

9. dobro1229

Wasn't referring to you. Just speaking in general. You know who the posters are here that get all bent out of shape when you dare throw water on the "Morey is a genius and will get X player" crowd. People don't realize it doesn't mean that I dont WANT that to happen, it just means that I want to know how we realistically get to that point where fantasy becomes reality.

I put the "sources" in two buckets... Chatter, and reports. I LOVE hearing the chatter, but I like to take it into context. I believe whole heartily that Cyberx, for instance, hears alot of things, and I'm glad he tells us about it. However its not a report, and I can take the rumor and put it into context to get an idea of where we are going, and understand what roadblocks could come in between the chatter report, and an end result.

if folks here want to believe chatter is an absolute science to knowing exactly what will or wont happen, have at it. I've been following the NBA for far too long though to enjoy the chatter, but realize that there is alot of chatter that never goes anywhere.

10. dobro1229

Again.. the THIRD or FOURTH teams are who I was referencing. The Knicks don't have leverage other than the fact that they can just keep Melo and ride it out to the end of his contract, or to a buyout later on if they don't turn a corner. But its obvious the Knicks leverage in this deal to trade or not trade him to Houston is a no-brainer. Melo has a no-trade clause he doesn't have to waive. That's an obvious one, and I don't doubt their asking price is not astronomical. Its the fact that the Rockets will be responsible for compensating OTHER teams as well that will make this a costly deal IMO.

11. bongman

bongman Member

Its really hard to tell on who's got what because as you said.. all this chatter. We don't really know what is true and what are the asking price of other teams. In most negotiations, the one that wants it most usually ends up with the shorter stick. Would that be us? Only time will tell.

12. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I feel like we should grow this thread to 500 instead of starting over in that new thread. What do yall think?

13. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

They're the best team ever. We need LeBron to beat them, its quite simple.

14. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Compesated usually means someone going to get Capela with Anderson, to make the deal happen. . Also if they lose Capela, they are gonna have to find a team who has a quality center per 48 mins who can start. Is it worth it? Yes, Having a big 3, with gordon off the bench is gonna push us over the spurs, and competing against gsw. I say detroit or utah gets involved, Boban Marjanović could get sent to houston.

15. RocketStan

RocketStan Member

Dude your so annoying. Never once did I claim to have sources. I repeatedly said it was my opinion based on what I've seen and read.

Even now I still don't see it happening. I can't believe you guys have faith in the freaking KNICKS of all teams to do this even when they'll be dealt a losing hand. No one wants Anderson, until someone does this **** isn't happening. Which is why it's already been a month. You don't get "value" back for Anderson. You dump him WHILE giving that team value on top. We can't risk that as a contender, not to mention Morey isn't that kind of GM. I don't understand what is so hard to get.

The Knicks have been complete pricks to Melo and I have no faith in them all of a sudden changing their tune, unless they get a good return. They won't do Melo any favors and trade him to us just because.

If you guys want to go the whole season believing that a negative asset will turn into not only a positive asset, but a 10 time all star, go ahead. I was just trying to help you guys from season long disappointment after it falls through.

I'll admit I was wrong on the trade being completely dead, which I mentioned was based on a Woj article, but s**t still hasn't changed much. Go ahead and keep celebrating us being in the same position as we were 1 month ago.

Quote me all you want when it actually happens but this article isn't anything worth bragging about. Not to mention the same guy just said Portland is actually making strides and you turn around and discredit that. You're homer meter is so high you're not thinking logically.

16. Daddy Long Legs

500 here we come

[​IMG]

Tfor3 likes this.
  17. Daddy Long Legs

O ye of little faith...

With melo and keeping ariza gordon capela we would absolutely haveba chance

Tfor3, Hakeemtheking and macho GRANDE like this.
  18. Dream Shake 81

Live on Melo thread. Live on.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  19. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

so ... just browsing the Blazers forum where @DrexlerFan is from. This is the about the consensus among the members. I chose this one cause I thought the names were funny. I see you "theprunetang"

"1 Golden Showers
    2 Spurms
    3 Cuck Fans - Rockets, known by the fan board. Gratz Clutch.
    4 Chokelahoma
    5 Portland Awesomesauce Amazing Blazers
    6 Miniature Wolves
    7 Denver Tug-its
    8 Knob Slob City
    9 Mormon Tabernacle Choir
    10 Ball Sac Town
    11 Dallas Sarah Palins
    12 w**** Nutz
    13 Jizzlies
    14 LA Chode Jugglers
    15 River Phoenix (Post speedball)"

Seems plausible. Nothing rediculous.

@DrexlerFan is KIngSpeed on that site. His rankings explain everything.
    "Portland
    GS
    SA
    Houston
    OKC
    Minnesota
    Denver

After that, it could go several ways."

Link if you get bored here or curious
    http://www.sportstwo.com/forums/portland-trail-blazers.123/

#6299 Bobsputin, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  20. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

THE BIGGEST BUNCH A' FREAKS ON THE PLANET. These are the kind of folks that would create a 500 man human centipede of themselves by choice.