1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. rockets13champs

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If your question is do I trust Matt Moore... the answer is no. If I heard him in Sirius XM NBA with Geltz or whoever saying "I heard this" I might say "that's interesting...." but he's not a proven reporter in the NBA, and his sources are likely 2nd or 3rd hand given his length of reach to players and agents. I followed the guy on twitter years ago, and while he knows hoops, he's not a reporter by any stretch.

So sorry... I'm just not that trusting until you've proven yourself a bit. Not sure Matt Moore has broke one notable deal yet either. He just tweets a ton about basketball for all I know, and is hungry to keep a job in the business (understandably) like guys like Geltz, Kennedy, and Kyler are. Gelz has scratched and clawed his way to NBATV, and Matt Moore clawed his way to CBS. Good for them... but their insistence on having something to prove as "insiders" makes me skeptical.

Regardless..

I find the responses to my posts on the subject hilarious. Its as if you guys don't actually realize I'd be thrilled to get Carmelo under the circumstances you guys THINK you are getting Carmelo under. You'd think I pissed in your cornflakes or something.

3. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

not sure what bearing hat has on the Melo talks, but they do have a lot of expiring deals ending in 2018. KP not one of them.

rockets13champs likes this.
  4. dobro1229

I'm "off"... based on what? Did your paid subscription newsletter state otherwise or something? Sorry I don't have enough money to afford your insider subscription.

Lets just see the end deal then bubba. If Morey gets Carmelo for Ryno, ONE pick, and non-guaranteed salary while needing to compensate TWO or potentially THREE teams in a deal, Morey will go down as the greatest GM of all time in my book. I'd love for you guys living in fantasy land to be right.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't want to be the guy who defends holic here, but he's right. There may be more picks or international players involved or guys like Hartenstein or something, but we aren't moving core players for Melo. If a deal gets done the biggest piece we send out will be Ryno. The rest will be ancillary.

J_Hunter_1977 and The Cat like this.
  6. rockets13champs

What did Matt Moore say? How does a backup NFL QB have insider news on NBA trades?

jch1911 likes this.
  7. rockets13champs

http://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=5455472

Today in Rockets history Ariza was traded to NOLA to join Cp3... could another SF join him 7 years later from NY?

#6247 rockets13champs, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  8. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Do you even know who it is that you're attempting to denigrate?o_O

He has firsthand sources. If you weren't so focused on being such a tool and actually inquired into the reporting you'd know that he talked with the two teams front offices themselves.

CBS is not some small time operation. Stop trying to cast it as some DIY blog because you don't want to be wrong.

o_O

J_Hunter_1977 and The Cat like this.
  9. dobro1229

As I've said... I hope he and everyone else is right. I'm just saying that we are compensating two + teams here, and paint me as a skeptic that the rights to Gentile, or Hartenstein makes a GM say yes... let me help you facilitate this trade while you are in a position of weakness. Everyone keeps saying "but Morey is a genius" which he is, but he's not a freaking miracle worker. I just see too many parties that have to be compensated, and while we might have folks here that think Hartenstein is the next Porzingis, I just remain a skeptic not necessarily that the deal wont eventually get done... (well... actually I kind of am thinking it could potentially go south at some point), but that when the deal hypothetically goes down, there will be alot of debate here and around the league as to whether or not the Rockets gave up way too much, and aren't putting themselves in a risky situation down the road.

And to be fair.. there is merit to taking the risk I might add. The Nets did this with KG and PP, and at the time it looked like there is NO WAY they could be bad enough to where those picks, and swaps would be of that much value. People laugh at them now but if those two guys didn't age overnight and had normal career years, the Nets would have looked like they took the right risks.

So even if Morey does the deal and it costs what I THINK its going to cost, it actually still might be a worthy gamble. If he actually gets it done at the cost that folks like Hollic seem to know (because of course he's in the negotiations himself as Morey's right hand man), I'll be cheering up to high heaven because that's a great deal given the circumstances.

10. rockets13champs

Morey finishing trade and our reaction is like the fans

11. dobro1229

Yes good god I know who the freaking Columbia Broadcasting System is, and I know the network is a large mainstream network. And I'm telling you that Matt Moore has never broken a story as a reporter before to the best of my knowledge. So so sorry for being skeptical of someone who has never broken news before. Its not like Lester Holt announced it on primetime news or something. It came from a podcast where the whole point is to talk like you would with your friends... not make verified reports.

And what would I be right or wrong about here? Did a deal happen that I wasn't aware of? For the record... .I WOULD LOVE TO BE WRONG HERE as I've said more than a few times here. Good lord you guys are touchy as hell just for taking you out of lala fantasy land for a second. You get called a tool just for setting a basis for reality... that this is not the easiest deal in the world to get accomplished and the fact that it has stopped and started more than once now gives me cause for concern that either the deal could stall out, or cost the Rockets a hell of alot more than you guys think.

That's my opinion... call me a tool if you want for it.

xiki likes this.
  12. rockets13champs

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

is he the GM of the liberty too :confused:

14. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

what did Mat moore say???

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Perhaps he wanted to see good, local NY hoops?

Bobsputin likes this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You'll have to decide whether you want to believe it or not, but the framework of a deal was agreed upon. The Rockets were very upset when the talks were "paused" that day as they believed the deal was done. We have that from people who are 100% credible.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

joke went over your head bro :D

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Are you suggesting that the putative deal is back to the point from which it was 'paused'? I don't think it was a bathroom break (but perhaps that does describe it???)...

Artie_Fufkin likes this.
  19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

There were two teams willing to take on Anderson before Perry got to the Knicks

J_Hunter_1977 and BigggReddd like this.
  20. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

It seems alot of people here are missing some facts, so lets clear some things up... shall we?

We DO know from credible sources that the deal was certainly in place and damn near a done deal. The Knicks were only waiting for Mills to get in to review it and approve, but I guess Mills has an ego of his own and wanted to create his own trade.

Melo was practicing in our gym. Thats how much of a done deal it was.

There were 2 other teams, plus the one we were in talks with, that want Ryno. Yes, teams were actually fighting for Ryno. Is Ryno untradeable? No, but damn near for right now atleast. Once it gets closer to opening tip and teams realize they need a 4 or they're below the salary floor, we'll have a taker for Ryno. Be patient.

All of the leaks have came from the Knicks side of things to try and gain leverage that isn't there as last ditch efforts to try and get a better haul for Melo. Melo is standing pat and is stubborn for us.

A deal will get done between now and the trade deadline. Morey doesn't mind waiting, we just are wanting him for the playoffs and "what we can lure in the offseason" [Woj]

Be patient nigs

Artie_Fufkin and vlaurelio like this.