1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks draft pick starting to become valuable ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Dec 30, 2011.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

If they don't get a distributor, then we could very well be getting a mid- level pick, maybe 16th?

2. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

It really makes you wonder when it comes time for the Williams and Howard trade rumors that will get even hotter at the deadline... a lot of the teams like the Mavs or Lakers, all they have in terms of picks to offer is their own late first rounders... and sometimes not even that.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Here's the thing. The pick is top 5 protected and the top 5 is probably the major impact players in the draft in Davis, Drummond, Barnes, Sullinger, and Jones. After that, there is a falloff in the talent level significantly.

So, even if we luck out and get pick #6, somebody is going to have to drop for us to get one of those guys. Don't see it happening.

4. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

I don't know if this has been said already or not ... But has anyone thought that maybe the Knicks could possibly want to take a chance on tanking knowing they have a 30% chance of landing in the top 5? ... They have their big 3 locked for years ... Taking a chance on that knowing they're not getting the pick anyway ... The highly favored Knicks could get their hands on a top pick to add either a great player and/or flexibility that they need ... That would change the game COMPLETELY lol ... I'm just sayin, the Knicks had to atleast have thought about it .

So FYI: While you're hoping the Knicks keep losing, end up not making the playoffs, just keep in mind that might not necessarily be a good thing ... The Knicks getting a pick in the top 5 would be a "great story" for the league and for the Knicks. So its not 100% guaranteed that the Rockets will have a 1st round pick next draft.

I hope the Rockets make a trade of some sort and receive a 1st rounder in return ... That way everyone would be more comfortable with the Knicks winning and securing the fRockets 1st round pick

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If the Knicks get the worst record or 2nd worst record, they would have a 100% chance of getting a top 5 pick. I could see them do that.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cough..Michael Gilchrist...cough

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I could see the Rockets winning the lottery with their pick, but Stern decides it was the NY pick for basketball reasons. Do you like my shiny tin foil hat?

8. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

That's a good way to look at it, but there are a few things to consider there:

A) If the Knicks tank to be like the 8th worst team in the league. That's still great because the alternative was them having a really good year and us getting the 20th pick from them. If they get lucky and win the lottery, good for them. Sucks for us but I'm not going to hope they win on the off chance they win the lottery.
    B) They could tank to the 2nd or 1st worst team in the league and have 100% odds at keeping their pick, but thats going to be really hard.
    C) If they tank at all, unless it's like a call that comes all the way from the owner... D'Antoni is definitely out of a job and the GM of that team might not be that far behind. I mean, even when we had Tmac and Yao... imagine if we ever completely missed the playoffs in a season where you had at least one of the 2 all-stars on your team for a lot of the season.

It's college, there's always a guy that was perceived to be a top 5 pick that turns out to be a complete bust and there have been plenty of guys that were 6-10th that have become really good players.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its hard for me to imagine the NY knicks getting a top 5 worst record in the league, not unless Melo and Amare end up with season ending injuries. With the Dantoni plays his team I expect the Knicks will win a few games in the middle of the season and then taper off once Melo, Chandler and Amare become worn down from the heavy PT.

10. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

valuable info...Repped.

11. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Yea ... I don't think they'll lose enough games for that though ... They would have to be obviously losing purposely ... Unless they start having "injuries" .... Yeah, they could get a way with that ... Atleast that would be their excuse.

Having that 100% chance that the Knicks could possibly keep the pick depending on what they decide to do ... Question is ... Do they think they're good enough to win a title this year? ... And if they aren't a 100% sure of themselves ... What do they plan on doing about it without possibly having a pick next draft

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Good info except the Grizz 2013 pick was sent to the TPups in the DMo trade.

http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_draft_trades/2012

Scroll down to 2013 outsanding trades and look at the TPups.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Knicks currently getting thumped by the Bobcats! A loss tonight would make them 2 wins and 4 losses. Keeping fingers crossed put it would be nice to have a really good pick from the TMac trade to NYK.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I never thought I would be so excited to watch the Bobcats play:p

15. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

I'm wearing mine now.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The Knicks are really really bad outside of the big 2 1/2. Worst starting backcourt and probably worst bench as well.

17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

If the Rockets lose to the Clippers tonight, they will be 2-4 as well.

The upshot is that the Rockets are at least losing to good teams, for whatever that is worth.

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Another plus is a possible 2-for-1 into the top 5 and get one of the studs. If the Rockets land a 14th pick again, it would be impossible to trade up.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Despite getting killed by the Bobcats right now, the Knicks aren't anywhere near as bad as something like this. The two important factors are that their fans/owner expect winning, and they still have 2.5 stars.

Is there something in the back of my mind that feels the Knicks might get a top 3 pick even if they're slotted 10th or something? Yes, with the undisclosed lottery and everything. But unless they get really lucky or David Stern has a hand in it, we're going to have their 1st round pick.

I still maintain that their pick is like in the 15-20 range. At best(or worst) that pick becomes 10-14 range. Anything higher would mean some major injuries.

20. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Unfortunately, the Knicks play in the sucky East, where teams with loosing records make the playoffs. Secondly, with Manu out for 6 to 8 weeks and Z-Bo out for 2 months, the Rockets might slip into the playoffs as the 8th seed, while the Spurs and Grizzlies potentially could go down the toilet and get better picks then us. :eek: