1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

If you can tell me that Westbrook is an embarrassment to the game and is not one of the best point guards in the league, then I don't think I can argue with you man.

2. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Incorrect. 4.8 tpg, vs. 3.4 tpg. A difference, but understandable given the fact that J Lin plays a much more aggressive style of basketball, yielding more results for everyone: more points for himself and his teammates, more fouls and more effort on the defense.

Lin as a starter, gives you a much higher winning percentage, much higher productivity out of his teammates, and is obviously a much greater threat to score. Lin and Rubio are both winners, but Lin is a bigger winner.

3. redlawn

redlawn Member

Last year, OKC practically went exclusively to isolation plays for offense. Westbrook doesn't do 8 assists a game anymore.. He's still an athletic freak though, and OKC was still best in the west.

Rubio is not a better defender than Lin. If anything, I'd say it's the other way around. Rubio has better courtvision and has better passing. But defense? In their head to head, Lin scored plentey fine on Rubio.

4. nbafever

nbafever Member

Lin is on the Rockets while Rubio is with Wolves. I'll root for Lin.

5. Arthurprescott2

what is this supposed to show us? That Wall can go coast-to-coast and maneuver past STAT? He's got hops for a PG. Acknowledged. But that's the not the point you're trying to make right?

6. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

He's less of an embarrassment now, but I still cringe when watching him play. All I can say is that I applaud Durant for being as tolerant as he is of a shoot first point who makes as many dumb plays as westbrook. It was sad seeing westbrook taking garbage, low percentage shots while Durant was waiting on the wing wide open.

7. redlawn

redlawn Member

^ Yes.

8. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Well now you are changing your argument. :) First you claimed Rubio was a better defender and passer. At least you are being honest now. You acknowledge that your preference for Rubio is just that: a personal preference.

However I am forced to point out that Rubio hurts his team when his defenders sag off of him (which was pretty much all the time). This allows his defender to clog the paint and/or double on another player. This makes everyone else's job harder as they have less room to operate and possibly a second defender to beat instead of one.

9. RedNation

The guy showed Lin crossing wall and dunking on him as a reason why Lin is better. I countered with wall dunking on lin. Seems fair.

imarealballer, you are right on the turnover thing. I looked at the wrong number

10. redlawn

redlawn Member

One thing Rubio has going for him though is that he has great passing, and that always an extra boost at the PG position.

Rondo has ***** for PER, but he's still a top 3 PG. I ranked Rubio better than Lin for now. Iff Lin ever shows even an inkling of Steve Nash-esque like passing like the late develpment Nash had, he's going to easily be top 5 PG in the league if not HOF

11. RedNation

Steve Nash is my favorite player in the NBA so if Lin gets any of that Nash passing, he will be top 5 for sure. Right now, Lin is about the 10th-15th pg I would take if given a choice, which is definitely not a bad thing. The only reason I'd take Wall over him is because I think he has a higher ceiling and he is more athletic and paid less.

12. RedNation

If given a choice, westbrook would be the 2nd pg I'd pick to start my team after CP3.

13. redlawn

redlawn Member

That sounds about right. Wall's an exciting player. He has lots of room for improvement. If he ever gets a solid J with that dribble-drive, he'll be deadly.

Both are cornerstones of their franchises now. Should be interesting to see how they do.

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

Really? I would take like 5 other pg's before Russell. CP3, Rondo, Deron, Nash and Parker.

15. RedNation

For me it is: (without Rose due to ACL)
    CP3
    Westbrook
    Rondo
    Dwill
    Nash

If Rose was healthy, he'd be my number 2 option.

You'd take Parker over Westbrook? C'mon man :grin:

I respect all of your opinions though. I hope Lin can become an above average pg and hopefully an all star. Just like I had doubts with Lowry, I have doubts with Lin continuing his performance over an entire season. Lowry kept up his play and I hope Lin does too.

16. redlawn

redlawn Member

I'd wouldnt choose Deron, Nash, or Parker, but I'd choose CP3, DRose and Rondo over Westbrook.

Russell is exciting though. Can't blame the guys that like him. I'd say only Lebron, D-Rose, and Dwight are more athletic

17. RedNation

I'd take Cp3 and Rose first IF Rose didn't have that injury. I'm fearful now because he relied so much on quickness and athleticism.

18. sidestep

sidestep Member

Westbrook is certainly an incredible athlete with his speed, quick change of direction and map hops, but I've never seen a supposedly elite player do so many stupid things on the court. Even many of his plays during these Olympics, I just shake my head. Calling it low basketball IQ is too many words for something simple; he looks plain dumb sometimes.
    And for every impressive penetration play in which he blows past the defense, there's another play in which he looks completely out of control hurling himself into the paint.

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

Yes I would take Parker. Lol. Don't get me wrong I love Westbrook. I watched OKC a lot over the last few years because I wanted to see there big 3 develop and Russ has improved a lot. I think Russ is really misunderstood to be honest. And I like Rose as well. I would take him after Russ. But Parker played like a boss this year. Played arguably the best basketball of his career from what I remember. And thanks. And yes it will be exciting to see Lin develop as a player I am confident that he will surprise people.

20. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

My first impression of Westbrook was a couple of seasons ago in the WC finals. Dude was just a joke. One dumb play, one brick after another. He was out of control, but physically and emotionally.

He toned down the comedy act this past season, but it's tough to watch him throwing up low percentage bricks while Durant is standing all alone with no one guarding him.

I'd love to see OKC hire an actual coach, though. Scottie Brooks will probably re-sign for minor duckets though.