1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. redlawn

redlawn Member

I do think Rose will still be a superstar PG when he comes back. Top 3 still.

CP3 had injury too, and although he lost a little, it wasn't much. Plus Rose just seems like a guy that will keep his game up, unlike other guys that just let their game go.

2. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

A healthy rose absolutely destroys westbrook. Parker isn't the athletic freak that some other guys are, but he actually knows how to play basketball. I just don't get how people are infatuated with brook. The game is supposed to be a team game where the PG helps make other players better by distributing at the right time, and then by scoring when the shot is available.

Westbrook does neither. OKC wins games, but I just don't like watching them play. Even Durant takes a lot of low percentage shots. As does Harden. Those 3 are athletes but they're not great players in the way that Magic and Bird and Jordan were. All 3 sought to improve in every area: the OKC big 3 are striving to be less dumb. That's the sad difference.

I just shake my head at how low of a quality product people are willing to tolerate these days.

3. ClKent

ClKent Member

That was kind of a harsh response with no facts to back it up. Rubio was never good at shooting his entire draft process. He was never that great a point guard the short time he played besides passing. Wall is severely overrated and at times was shown up by Lowry. Lowry who some agree is not as talented as Lin is within a short career. His starting stats are 18 and 8 and those are facts. You under sell our own player who has a tremendous amount of untapped upside in his rookie year for all intents and purposes no less. Next time think before you rant so openly against another person.

4. ClKent

ClKent Member

-Rubio had a pretty bad injury.
    -Wall has never been on good teams is still a fact
    -the fact that Lin wins matchups against this guys is valid whether you admit it or not
    -14 and 6 would be good even without taking away the fact it includes the time he wasnt starting at the beginning of the season.
    -14 and 6 is better than Lowry, Dragic, Rubio, without starters minutes for the first half of his season

Next time bring facts before I have to embarrass your idiotic reply chokobofreak. I just brought them and served you up when you asked for the hammer.

5. redlawn

redlawn Member

LOLLL :grin:

6. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Per 36 mpg, Jlin averages 20 ppg, 8 apg, 2 spg. Easily all star caliber numbers. His winning percentage as a starter is incredible. The knicks were what, 2 and 12 before Lin started significant minutes?

7. redlawn

redlawn Member

Knicks were 8-15 when Lin came in. They went 7 straight wins with a non-existent supporting cast. This alone is why Lin is a better PG than Wall; he makes people play better.

8. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Yeah ok :grin:

9. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

LOL, seems like any PG that can't shoot is labelled a "pure PG" see Machado....

10. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Not necessarily. JStockton is widely perceived to be a "pure" pass first PG, but his FG% was ridiculously high.

Maybe you have to be caucasian to be a pure PG. :eek:

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

Steve Nash.

12. Arthurprescott2

For sure Rubio can't shoot right now. Be that as it may, he is a pass-first PG with superior court vision right now. Whether his pass-first tendencies are necessitated by his lacking of shooting ability or are indicative of his natural style of play is really moot at this point in time.

13. jlfans

jlfans Member

I remember Lin pass a ball to A'mare but A'mare lost the ball back of his right hand. What is that? Who's turnover? Lin. I think many of his turnovers were because he was a new guy with the Knicks. He needed more chemistry to decrease turnovers.
    Lin is a legend to me and many other fans. 2012-2013 is totally new. He will get better.

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

His pass first tendencies are indicative more so of his natural type of play. Honestly this argument as to whether a pg is a pure pg or a pass first pg is incredibly trivial and media driven. As long as the pg is capable of being a floor general, an extension of the coach on the floor I am cool. The league has changed and teams are taking SG and trying to teach them how to be pg's and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But the media chooses to create controversy and attract eyeballs by dividing pg's into two different categories the scoring pg that has negative connotations attached to it a la Russ. And the pure pg that is viewed as the ideal a la Rondo.

15. ClKent

ClKent Member

Yes. When in actuality Nash, Paul, and perhaps to Lin in a lesser extent may be passing point guards who can also score.

16. Arthurprescott2

I don't think its solely a media-driven controversy. I personally enjoy watching a pass-first PG. Rondo was amazing in ECF this year.

I agree with your point that the most important/valuable aspect of a PG is the ability to be a floor general (like CP3) and take control of the game while only attacking when necessary (or in the 4th like CP3 or Stockton). That said, I do think it matters whether or not a PG is shoot-first or pass-first. It is a "fit" issue within teams.

17. lightningbolt

lightningbolt Member

All of these player A vs player B comparisons are pretty meaningless without facts to back them up.

Defensively, at least in terms of steals, blocks and charges drawn per 40, Lin and Rubio are actually pretty close and in fact both are top 3 in the league for point guards that played in over 20 games and average more than 15 minutes per game (Source, click on 'DEF' to sort). Basically despite being a sophomore earning his first major minutes and a rookie, respectively, Lin and Rubio are already both elite when it comes to forcing the other team to turn the ball over.

Comparing their on/off stats, Lin helped the Knicks defensively when he was on the floor compared to when he wasn't. Per 100 possessions, the Knicks with Lin only let up 100.2 points, whereas the Knicks without Lin let up 102.8 points. Using the same metric, Rubio improved the Timberwolves' defense a great deal: opponents only scored 103.2 against Minnesota with Rubio playing vs 110.5 when he wasn't playing. However, that huge discrepancy may have as much to do with Rubio's good defense as it does with his replacements' (Barea and Ridnour) relatively poor defense. (Source)

Lastly, and most importantly, according to Synergy, Lin kept his opponents to 0.81 points per play (PPP) on 37.8% shooting whereas Rubio kept his opponents to 0.87 PPP on 41.5% shooting. Rubio was a lot more effective at defending isolation plays, but Lin was much more effective defending pick and roll ball handlers and spot up shooters.

In conclusion, from the data, it seems that both Rubio and Lin are pretty skilled defenders at their position. From this point forward, please refer anyone who says that Lin is a poor defender to this post. Furthermore, what's even more encouraging is that Lin is only 23 and Rubio is only 21. I can only see good things for these two in the future.

18. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

A legend?nvm, I see what you mean.

19. jlfans

jlfans Member

Yes.

He broke the NBA record and he is a Taiwanese- or Chinese- or Asian-American. Yes, A legend of me.

20. M4-Nightvision

Here's a good game JLin knicks vs KIrving cavs..

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UBfenGCnQAo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UBfenGCnQAo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>