1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I've officially given up on the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by A-Train, Dec 30, 2003.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

There comes a time for a sports fan when he must admit to himself that his favorite team sucks and doesn't have what it takes to reach the next level.

Well, I have finally reached that point. The Rockets suck and don't have what it takes to reach the next level. The Rockets have reached a whole new dimension of suckitude.

I don't even get mad anymore when the Rockets play poorly, because they've done it so often this year, it's like I expect it now. I couldn't even imagine that the Rockets could be as big of a waste of talent as last season, but once again they prove me wrong.

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Don't come running back when the Rockets pull off that big trade that leads them to the playoffs.

:)

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

No, that means that CD would have to make a move that actually BENEFITS the team...

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

With the personnel the Rockets currently have I think the team is about as far as it is going to go. Another star player needs to be added, and the role players need to be shuffled a bit.

More importantly though....Francis and Yao need to improve their own games as well. They are our two "star" players and yet they don't put up "star" numbers on a consistant basis that stars normally do. That is killing us. Take the Sonics game as a prime example. Francis and Yao put up very pedestrian numbers.

Why not more like....

Yao: 18pts 9rbs, 2 blocks
    Francis: 18pts, 8ast, 6rbs
    and how about...
    3rd Star Player (Wallace, SAR etc): 16pts, 8rbs, 3asts.

Why can't we see THOSE numbers more consistantly? If we did, we would win a heck of a lot more! Add in a 3rd star player putting up consistant numbers and having a few different role players step up each night and we are winning a lot of games!

5. jli

jli Member

I will miss you .

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

It's okay A-Train - I understand how you feel.

Too bad that we have people here who live in denial. They feel that since Francis is an "all-star" that everything is okay and right with the world.

Sad to see that missing the playoffs that many years has made people that way.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Speaking of All-Stars I don't think any Rocket should be on the team, or a starter.

I hear ya A-Train. I am fed up with the team. I find myself saying the Rockets suck. I used to get pissed off at people and just about fight with them when they said the Rockets suck. Now....I see it is true. I am hopping they can prove us wrong. But....they do...SUCK. :(

8. Sane

Sane Member

I'd give up, but I pretty much expected this. For me, before the season, I knew this team was horribly assembled in terms of compatibility, so I expected there to be inconsistency. That makes it easier for me to bear.

I would be WAY more bothered if we had a well-built team that was losing due to lack of effort, motivation, or luck...

This team, however, is performing with maximum effort, full concentration, and great desire. This is the limit, another 45 win season, regardless of whether or not that makes the playoffs, what matters to me is that this team needs to be better assembled.

The players have given their all, it's management's turn now.

9. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

If our mentality in the fourth quarter is like the previous two games, we'll be doomed no matter what trade we pull off.

10. Thanos

Thanos Member

Nothing left to do but give up unless a major trade is in the works. If Rudy was to blame for anything, it is for assembling this abomination. This team won't work, no matter who coaches it. It's the players and not the system. Of course I'm talking about our dysfunctional backcourt.

Trade Francis. Trade Mobley. Trade at least one of them, and judging by what we can get for them, Francis is the one that should be traded. Surround Yao with tough, hard nosed, hungry and smart players.

Get me Eric Snow. Get me Elton Brand. Get me Ron Artest. Get me Jermaine O'neal. Get me Tracy McGrady. Get me Paul Pierce.

Francis is no longer right for this team. And Francis and Mobley shouldn't be together on ANY team.

When we miss the playoffs AGAIN, it's these one point losses we are going to get back to and say, if we had won...

Not again. Now it's either pulling the trigger or watch this team slowly and surely miss the playoffs again. Games like the one against the Lakers give us hope, but they are nothing but the exception that proves the rule...

I have given up hope too. Not on the Rockets themselves, but the current team? Certainly.

Thanos

11. franchise?..NOT

I'm frustrated but not giving up yet. I have been saying since the summer that this team will be given until the trade deadline to change and come together. Including camp, five months is enough to reshape this team. I think that Van Gundy is doing what he has to do as far as giving the guys individual instruction in fundamentals and weak areas. I also think that is showing for all the major players. I think that Cat and MoT have benfitted most as MoT is actually playing defense and grabbing some boards and developing a complete game. Cat is developing into a very good one on one defender. Cato is actually becoming a good one on one defender, something that I would have bet big money could not happen. Steve is at least paying lip service to the changes that VG is asking of him. Yao is still a work in progress and I'm beginnignt to wonder if he is the problem or if Ewing is not the right guy to teach him. Yao gets more time just because of his skills and physical attributes.

All in all I see individual improvement on team defense, again something I thought not possible with SF, Cat, Cato and MoT, and individual skills. What I also see is the same boneheadedness on the court cosing us games. Is it possible for the team to continue to get smarter and more consistent. I guess that is the question that the Rox brass will have to sit down and ask themselves as the trade deadline approaches.

VG has been pretty good about challenging the guys and backing it up with the right kind of teaching and support by all accounts. If they cannot produce a major win streak between now and the TD then I thinks heads will roll.

As far as SF and hsi effect on winning/blowing games. the only way we know for sure is if he misses a few weeks or gets benched for a while, (fat chance). If the team straightens up without SF up then we know the answer.

I am staying in until the TD because one way or the other this team will be made or broken by that time. I think the Rox are also committed to this team until a point at which VG or management says this is not going to work. I am guessing that point will be in six weeks.

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

They have... to Maloney, to Moochie, to MoT, to Cato, to AGriffin, to Francis...

13. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

I've also given up.

1. Steve Francis shooting 39.4% for the season - he should NEVER shoot
    2. One r****ded person serving beer to 20+ people waiting in line.
    3. Francis' consistent turn-overs (1/0.97 ratio) - he should NEVER touch the ball.

14. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Basketball common sense told me that this group of players didn't fit as a "team". I said this when the Rockets drafted Yao, I said this during last season. But...

I am still willing to give them a little more time, say till all-star break, or the end of the season? After all, this is the first season for the new coach to try to get every player into the right role, ups & downs should be expected during this process. Will it work out at the end? No one knows, but at least we should give them the time to fail, or success.

I know many of you are frustrated with this teams performance in the past several years, especially with Francis. I'm not happy with his progress either, but we have to give him another chance with another system. If he fails to deliever this time, I don't think anyone would have objection for breaking this team up.

--daoshi

15. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I say wait tell all star break and if its still the same sloppy play were gona have mix it up

16. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Give up? We lost the last 2 games by a combined 2 points. Before that, we beat the best team in the league on national television. I know we haven't played all that well, but it's hardly time to give up. Good lord, it's not even 2004 yet.

Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Enough of the hyperbole! For example, how is Steve going to score if he is not allowed to touch the ball? Come onnnn!

Yes, JVG needs to tweak the lineup, but IMO it can be done internally or with just a touch of splash.

For example, IMO it is time to move Mo-T into the starting lineup as PF and give more minutes to Alton Ford. Cato needs to back up Yao because Ming looks very winded right now. Cato can then return to playing testicles to the wall without worring about fouls.

Jim Jackson needs to be the PG with Steve as SG. Mobley is then free to be the best sixth man in the league. Cat will be a scoring force when pitted against backup SGs. Pike becomes the small forward and more minutes go to Boki backing him up. Give Wilks a shot at the backup PG spot and let Moochie watch from the pine. Maybe his game will return.

Don't give up the ship just because we are taking on a little water in a rough sea! :)

18. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Hey guys look on the bright side, at least when we miss the playoffs yet again we'll get a lottery pick... oh I forgot we gave it to Utah along with Glen Rice for ManBoobs.:mad: I'm just about ready to say blow the team up and start over.

19. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

here here.

if we aren't getting anybody anytime soon, then the very least needed is a line-up change. jvg needs to wake up!! players need to play their natural positions, not this force-fed system stuff. i agree with most of the recommendations above. especially mobley being the 6th man. i'd also like to see jj at point. why not throw amaechi into the mix? can't hurt since we're suckin' it up anyhow.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I like the sound of your backcourt. Move JJ to SG. Then let Francis play SG on offense and PG on defense, JJ vice versa. Take the shackles off of Francis and let him go. He is too restricted in our offense and his offensive game is suffering because of it. His strenghts are to score, not to command an offense. It is like driving a porche 20 miles an hour. If that is how fast you are going to go, buy a yugo. JJ is much better at driving the offense.