1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it really a foregone conclusion that Lance McCullers over Brad Peacock in the playoffs?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Sep 2, 2017.

1. what

what Member

I'm just asking. Peacock right now is pretty much unhittable. My vote would go to a rotation that included peacock as the 3rd starter and putting Lance in the Pen instead.

RasaqBoi and K-Lo_The_Future like this.
  2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Who is McCuthers?

3. what

what Member

Typo

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Absolutely, yes

5. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Why did this warrant a new thread?

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

McCullers and Peacock will now be toast the rest of the season.

#whatjinx

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

constant threads.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

There is nothing conclusive regarding LMJ. If we get post DL LMJ the rest of this month, he may not pitch in the playoffs period. If we get pre DL LMJ, then we have more options.

1) DK
    2) Verlander
    3)
    4)

We basically have 4 remaining starters (LMJ, Morton, Peacock, McHugh) for 2 spots in a post season rotation. Which ever two look best come playoff time start and the others take on long relief roles.

In my mind, LMJ is the wildcard because we haven't seen a good start out of him since June.

9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Funny you'd mention "unhittable" - prior to his two most recent starts, Peacock had allowed 30 hits in his last 22.1 IP. He's house money, as far as I'm concerned - ride him until we either win the whole damn thing or he implodes. But Mike Fiers should absolutely be the cautionary tale here.

In terms of playoffs, if McCullers is healthy and back to dominating, your top four pitchers are Keuchel, Verlander, McCullers & McHugh. Peacock and Morton, both would, I think, be effective weapons out of the pen and viable fifth starter options, if necessary.

Astrodome likes this.
  11. theimpossibles1

This is a good question. McCullers clearly has playoff caliber stuff, the problem is consistency which has been questionable to say the least. I think Morton has had straight up NASTY stuff lately but he falters in the later innings so he might be a good bullpen option. Peacock has been more consistent and for whatever reason always gets the most run support. If the playoffs started today I think LMJ would have to be in the bullpen because we just are not sure what kind of stuff he will have. If he finishes the regular season strong he has to be a starter. We want to give him confidence and establish the mold for him as an ace type pitcher.

P.S. LOL at Bobrek and other people who can't say or hear anything without it being a "jinx." A jinx is simply a state of mind, which is perpetrated by people who believe in it.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

There is no choice to be made. If McCullers is healthy he will be in the playoff rotation. The only decision is who will be the 4th guy between McHugh, Morton, and Peacock. I think it will be McHugh given his track record and because it seems like Peacock and Morton would be very effective out of the bullpen.

lnchan likes this.
  13. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Keuchel
    McCullers
    Verlander
    McHugh

14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I would swap Keuchel and Verlander to keep the opposing batters off balanced in terms of velocity...

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

There is absolutely zero chance Dallas Keuchel agrees to being the #3 starter. He's the incumbent ace, and he will get the ball Game 1. Verlander however will be Game 2, and McCullers Game 3. Sometimes you just play it straight. No reason to get overly cute.

BigM likes this.
  16. lnchan

I meant to say... 1) Verlander 2) Keuchel 3) McCullers 4) McHugh. That's assuming also that the last 2-3 games don't matter for home field throughout. I want Keuchel to be the person that helps clinch home field.

17. lnchan

I would also have 12 pitchers only on the pitching staff since you don't need that 5th starter... and some pinch-running help would be useful with Beltran/McCann/Gattis if necessary.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I agree. I think there's almost no chance Keuchel isn't your game 1 starter should everyone play the rest of the season up to expectations. Verlander is great and he's a veteran but Dallas has been the man here and is super competitive. Hinch won't forget that. I guess the other exception would be how the rotation shakes out if any of the Boston games are meaningful.

19. SemisolidSnake

McCullers hasn't earned it given recent trends, but he'll definitely be in the starting rotation. As far as I'm concerned, in no particular order, Verlander, Keuchel, McHugh, Morton, and Peacock are above him, but some of those guys will move to the bullpen and keep that strong.

20. what

what Member

Again, peacock has been the better pitcher throughout the season.
    The only reason people on here are being sheep is that peacock doesn't have a pedigree. However, it is clear that his new approach to pitching has made him a completely different pitcher.
    You don't go through as many months as he has with a sub 3 era by accident.
    Mccullers isn't right right now. And we cannot afford him giving up a 4 run inning in the playoffs.
    I guarantee you if hinch pitches Lance and he blows a critical game 3 people will all suddenly become experts, and i told you so and hinch is an idiot.