1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it really a foregone conclusion that Lance McCullers over Brad Peacock in the playoffs?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Sep 2, 2017.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How is that Hedges kid working out?

2. what

what Member

Austin Hedges has 16 homers and 50 rbis at 24 in his first full season in majors. He is already one of the best defensive catchers in the game.

I don't get your point. The kid is going to be amazing.

3. bobrek

Even with 16 home runs he is slugging .387 with an OPS of .633. That .387 would rank 18 on the Astros this year. That .633 would rank 19. But, they should go ahead and trade Tucker and Martes for him.

4. what

what Member

We can argue what he is worth, but there is no arguing that he is probably the best defensive catcher in the game. He is a weapon. The astros have no real good options at catcher. They have an aging Brian McCain.
    If he gets his average up, then he is basically Buster Posey.

5. bobrek

That's a big if. So you'd still trade Tucker and Martes for him then?

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

7. what

what Member

If I said both of them for him, then that was stupid. But I would consider Tucker or Martes for him. Absolutely.

8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Yikes

texans1095 likes this.
  9. what

what Member

Q: after the pitcher, what is the most important position on the field?

Also, for **** and giggles, tell me who you think kyle Tucker will compare to in the majors?

In my mind, in hedges you are getting a player that can hit 30 home runs a year, with a top 5 defensive ability.

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

texans1095 likes this.
  11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

If he had enough plate appearances to qualify for the NL batting title, Austin Hedges' .633 mark would be the 5th-lowest OPS in the entire league.

Thinking that he'll turn into Buster Posey if he "gets his average up..."

Yikes. Posey has failed to break .800 OPS in a full MLB season one time. Hedges is going to need to "get his average up" over the Mendoza Line.

Trying to sell to me the idea that Hedges could become a perennial 30-HR hitter...

Eh... he looks like he could become a credible power threat, but 30 homers a year from catchers other than Gary Sanchez... don't think so. That's not to say that Hedges won't hit 30 in any given season, but unless he actually resembles a factor at the plate... that's probably a tall order.

Austin Hedges and Buster Posey were highly touted catching prospects as minor leaguers... and the comparisons essentially stop there. Hedges is going to need to improve literally every aspect of his game if people are gonna place him in the same stratum as Buster Posey.

Fortunately, he's 25 (my age) and essentially in his first full season as a MLB catcher. Still plenty of room to improve, but Hedges looks like he'll be a good everyday catcher rather than a superstar baseball player like Posey.

#31 tellitlikeitis, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    texans1095 likes this.
  12. what

what Member

You sidestep two of the three questions I asked. But whatevs. I just want to point out that in his last two years in minor league ball AAA, which accounts for 413 PA, hedges had a .326 BA and a .944 OPS so it isn't like the guy has no potential to hit in the majors. He also has largely carried his recent power to the majors with 16 hr. So, I'm just saying that he probably will improve his bat in the next few years.

If he even hits .265 with 27hr, he's likely going to be an untouchable player for the padres.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Well, it's not really my problem if you elected to expend all that time researching Austin Hedges and coming to the conclusion that the Astros totally need him, all while ignoring the things that the very same people you were reading had to say about Kyle Tucker.

It was a good talk, though.

texans1095 and NIKEstrad like this.
  14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Oh, Keuchel would agree to it.... the Astros would just never ask ;)

15. bobrek

I've quoted your post 2 or 3 times where you said both of them

16. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Wait, what?

17. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Hedges carrying an OPS+ of 66 LOLOLOLOL

18. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

It's funny how some people are so consistent. You just know, periodically, that you're going to get a thread from What that is going to make you respond with his poster name, followed at least a few question marks and/or exclamation points. Amazingly consistent.

19. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

No one on here is being a sheep- man, you really are a cluck, aren't you? McCullers pitched great last night, he's the absolute #3 starter, and you've said more stupid things in this thread than anyone combined. Buster Posey? JHC on a popsicle stick.

20. Buck Turgidson

In no universe were the Astros - a team: A) expecting to contend, B) looking to add veterans, esp at catcher, C) looking to add LH hitting, and D) enamored with Tucker and Martes - going to trade for a young unproven RH catcher to be on the OD roster last offseason

THAT was the "what?" part of your idea, along with the ludicrous "trade both" thing, not that Hedges is a good prospect (he is).