1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it not painfully obvious yet that the team is better without Patterson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Apr 6, 2013.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

In the 47 games that Patterson played for the Rockets:

Record- 23-24
    Win%- 0.49
    Point Differential- +1.57

In the 29 games that the Rockets played without Patterson:

Record- 20-9
    Win%- 0.69
    Point Differential- +7.62

The 20 wins without Patterson included:

13 point win on the road at NYK.
    25 point blowout of MEM at home.
    23 point blowout on the road at CHI.
    Only win of the year against OKC.
    Only win of the year against SAS.
    Only win of the year against LAC.

Conventional wisdom tells us that losing the starting power forward should hurt the team. Conventional wisdom tells us that Patrick Patterson makes open jump shots, is in position defensively, therefore he must be a solid player that the team would miss, especially in exchange for a carousel of rookies.

The truth and reality spits in the face of conventional wisdom. As does Daryl Morey.

Many of us who follow relevant stats that measure impact on winning such as RAPM could have told you all along that Patterson was the worst player in the rotation, and the worst defender on the team. Being in position means nothing if you do not actually make an impact.

Patrick Patterson is Aaron Brooks all over again. A point guard who disrupts his own team's offense. A power forward who hurts his team defensively and on the boards. That is the opposite of their position's job description, and the recipe for a losing player.

It may not have seemed like it at first. It may not seem plausible even now, given the inconsistency coming from the "void" he left. But objectively, the team is much better without Patterson.

4 people like this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are blaming our slow start entirely on 2pat - no offense man, but that's some poopy analysis.

You can look at the 10 games before the trade and the 10 games after. We were definitely worse.

1 person likes this.
  3. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

How about 25 before and 25 after? Seems fair. To take the first 10 after discounts the fact that new players have been putting into the starting role. Can't blame them for slow start after the trade, can we?

4. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Starting a soft in the paint, inexperienced D-Mo had something to do with that.

5. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Greg Smith > Patterson.

6. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

i hope CH will not mind this thread. Clearly, this is baiting him in . . . come fishy-fishy, pls dont bite. I am for taking 20/20. Slow start is different vs. team starting to know each other.

7. basketballholic

....and in the red corner, from Trinidad, Trinidad and Tobago.....

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Last 20 games Patterson played in before getting traded:

8-12
    Win%- 0.4
    Point Differential- +2.86

Since the trade:

15-8
    Win%- 0.65
    Point Differential- +5.91

Including wins against OKC, @BRO, @GSW, SAS, LAC.

Yeah, we definitely didn't get worse.

Why would I only look at 10 games. That's silly.

#8 CXbby, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  9. vator

vator Contributing Member

Ball don't lie!

10. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Quite obvious this thread is CH bait. Otherwise no one would give a damn.

11. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

I'm quite impressed you've been a fan of Royce White since he was 5 years old. :)

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think we're better, but our improvement comes from multiple factors, not just replacing him.

-We needed to play the other 4s more, with or without Pat. It gives us much more versatility up front skill-wise and, with more Pfs, you have a better chance of at least one of them playing well every night. They're all talented, but inconsistent.

-Beverly has stepped up in his own role.

-Playoff positioning. It's made the team more focused and hungry. I think that happens with or without Pat.

-They have been more vocal about improving their D. That's been easier to do with better defensive 4s, but i think the other guys' attitudes towards defense has changed too.

-Garcia and Anderson have been great in Harden's absence and during key moments as subs.

-IIRC, they had one of the toughest schedules the first half and one of the easier ones this second half, including the stretch they just went through. Long home stand, included.

#12 RV6, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Patterson was OK, better than you give him credit for, but we had a pretty good idea of what his ceiling is.

Robinson isn't ready to contribute to a winning team, yet. But I am intrigued by his quickness and agility. He'll need to make major improvements, particularly as a finisher, to warrant his draft position. Being undersized but with a major quickness advantage over other 4s, I'm hoping he can develop some ball skills away from the basket as well.

14. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Actually compared 21 games before and after (since only 21 games after the trade deadline.

Before: 9-12
    After: 14-7

Even considering the schedule has gotten easier, it's pretty clear we're not missing PPat that much.

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree with the last part. Rockets were 6-2 with Patterson out before the trade, meaning Marcus Morris was playing ... and they traded him too.

They took a step back initially with the hope of taking two steps forward later.

It's my kind of move. You don't pay for average -- don't commit major dollars, years and playing time to average. Patterson was going to want a bigger commitment eventually and they capitalized on his value while still on a rookie deal and are rolling the dice that one or more of their power forwards will prove to be above average.

1 person likes this.
  16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I like how you say you can't blame our slow start on the lack of PPatt, but then you go and blame our slow start after the trade on a the lack of PPatt....

17. ngazi

ngazi Member

Wait Brooks hurts the team? Our best team in a decade was with Brooks.

18. AXG

AXG Member

Lol owned

19. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Robinson is a pretty damned good rebounder for an undersized player. I don't see nor understand the reason for all the T Rob critics, when he has been decent in limited playing time. He has some things to work out, but works hard every game and bangs the boards which was what the rockets needed.

20. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

No, that's ridiculous.