1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it not painfully obvious yet that the team is better without Patterson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Apr 6, 2013.

1. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

REPPED!

2. vator

vator Contributing Member

Brown noser!

3. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

Guy has serious rep power :rolleyes:

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A well-reasoned post. Clutch here proves that one can be wrong about the trade and still argue one's point intelligently and objectively. :)

It is painfully obvious, however, that some of the other guys who love the trade are idiots who use stats without considering context.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I am not a big PatPat fan. Never was. Can't rebound or finish around the rim.

He's a Jared Jeffries type who can also shoot from the outside.. The type of guy coaches love and overplay because they don't make dumb mistakes.

That said, he probably wasn't hurting the team. But either way, it was a good trade.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

BTW, why argue so much about the guy who was clearly the worst starter on the team?

7. underrated015

underrated015 Member

was one of the biggest Patterson fans his rookie year. kind of expected him to put up dominant numbers. well, i thought twill was gonna destroy competition too.:rolleyes: oh well, greg smith is doing well starting.

8. vator

vator Contributing Member

Heck yeah. He can promote you straight from a Royce White to a Jeremy Lamb with the click of a button. Everybody likes raises. CH's raises come from thinking about 2Pat if you know what I mean. :grin:

I really wish 2Pat wasn't such a hot topic. Only thing worse would be a missing Marcus Morris thread.

1 person likes this.
  9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, if you want to go by such murky reasoning, one can also say that trading away Patterson and Morris helped build that chemistry by incorporating new players. The Rockets have now played 5 months. This amazing chemistry and development only happened recently, and perhaps more specifically last month.

Yes, I do understand the schedule playing into this. But the schedule doesn't change the win rate THAT much. I can go with the argument that trading Patterson didn't help the team. But there's certainly no reason to think losing Patterson took us a step back.

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

We are better without Patterson. That's a no brainer. I had wanted to get Patterson and Morris out of here for several reasons. They weren't good passers, they were nothing special on defense, not good rebounders, and they put very little pressure on defenses. If they weren't hitting spot of shots that other players created for them they brought very little to the game.

The team is more dynamic now. While we got a little younger, we gained ability when our guys are playing well.

As far as Morris is concerned he brought nothing to the table. He was a dud. Patterson Atleast played decent post defense and had a consistent shot.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

No amount of excuses... I mean, "context", would result in a difference in win rate and point differential of this magnitude. Resorting to ad hominem attacks is your best bet now, as you have finally figured out. Keep it up.

12. dragonz

dragonz Member

Conventional wisdom tells me that DMorey trade/not-resigning players on their peaks, AKA Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, Kyle Lowry, even Trevor Ariza (arguably), we yet have a player that have a better career than theirs in Rockets uniform, except maybe Steve Novak and some short-stayed players.

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

an example of context:

Houston is 27-11 at home and 16-23 on the road.

14. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Because T-Rob is awful and it affected team chemistry.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This is just a false statement, they aren't "Better without Patterson". In fact replacing Dmo/Trob for patterson was so overwhelmingly obviously bad if you watched the games that you would notice we only just started to gel after Smith started.

You can't present Patterson as a negative we are lucky to get rid of in this situation CxBBy. Also look at the context for wins/losses. The rockets had the toughest schedule early on and easiest later on. You can't flaunt that around and say they are clearly better like that.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The irony in this post. Look at the style of play and the teams we had been playing into your argument. No sane man should argue that Dmo/Trob in the lineup are better than Pat/Morris. That is just moronic.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Another example of context:

Rockets played 24 games at home with Patterson, 23 games on the road. Winning 23 of those games.

Rockets played 14 games at home without Patterson, 15 games on the road. Winning 20 of those games.

Despite playing more games on the road than at home without Patterson, their win% was still dramatically higher.

18. tonyrock

tonyrock Rookie

I just don't understand the logic. Anyone give us some KING stats since Patterson went to KINGS? Is it obvious that Kings is worse with Patterson?

PF is just the weakest link we needs to improve.it doesn't mean the former PF is useless

19. landryfans

landryfans Member

No, we don't, the PF committee sucks, the difference is each get his turn to suck on.

20. Dementium

Dementium Member

You know I get that we need to make that trade. It was a good trade and still is.

What I don't get is why you guys have to **** on PPat now hes gone. The guy pulled us out of the fire more than a few times. He wasn't outstanding and his rebounding wasn't fantastic but he still did his part and helped us to nail a few wins.

His mid range jumper was automatic and was money all the time. Is the team better without him for the future? Sure. Is it better now? Obviously not.

For what its worth I don't see the need to **** on a player who played well for us and helped us nab a top five pick.

1 person likes this.