1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Clint currently a top 5 big man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Jan 4, 2019.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Clint is top 5.

Hustle Town likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No, the term big includes PF's which opens up a can of worms considering Davis and Giannis.

So as far as ranking "bigs"

Giannis
    Davis
    Embiid
    Jokic
    Towns

Some may rank Capela above Towns because of how Capela matched up against him... but you have to remember that's only one matchup and Towns is a consistent offensive star. If you go purely off of matchups then Capela has a list of players who out play him like Adams, Nurkic, Whiteside and Howard.

As far as strict centers, I'd say Capela is tied for top 5 but overall there's very little difference between 5-15th IMO.

Embiid
    Jokic
    Towns
    Gobert
    Capela/Adams tie

Vuc/Whiteside/Nurkic/Drummond are also knocking on the door for that 5th spot tie, guys like M.Gasol, Howard, D.Jordan are all still very good despite inconsistency as they have aged, and watch out for Jarret Allen, Turner and Sabonis as they keep improving.

3. Asian Sensation

Is Capela top 5? No. But in terms of fit for our team I’d take Capela over a lot of guys that are ‘better’ than him. He’s also an incredible value compared to the majority of his peers.

I’ll get flamed for this but I think Drummond would be a monster on our team. He’s a guy that can do the same things Capela does but better. Going back to the value thing though... his contract is nearly $40m more than Capela’s. I’m good with Capela.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

He definitely is a top 5* center in the games since CP3 went down, averaging 18.3 points and 18.1 rebounds. That's insane.

* And I know a thing or two about topfive. ;)

BigShasta and Deckard like this.
  5. biff17

biff17 Member

Drummond D does not have the motor that Capela does and is not as good said h guy on the perimeter.

The key thing that people don't appreciate about Capela is all off things we ask him to do, rim run, constantly pick, switch on defense, and rebound at a high rate.

No other center is asked to do that over 30 minutes.

6. macan

macan Member

nah, i will put him No.7..

7. MystikArkitect

Clint is probably behind Embiid, Davis, KAT, Jokic, and Gobert in terms of skill.

Clint is above all of them in relevancy as it pertains to the modern NBA game. Rim runner, spreads the defense for shooters, rebounds, blocks, can guard in space. Offense doesn’t need to run through him.

Clint = more Ws.

The Rest = better box score and highlights.

Rocket River and biff17 like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hell yes he is.

DD

Hustle Town likes this.
  9. jogo

jogo Member

Top 5? Pretty close.

But-why are his advanced stats so bad this year? He passes the eye test, his counting stats are improved, and he's played well against most top centers this year. So why do his adv stats look awful?

He's 49th in RPM among centers.
    He's 26th in Win Shares among centers.
    His +/- is negative.

10. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

He is this generation's Deandre Jordan. Was he considered a top 5 center? Maybe just.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Vucevic is averaging the most points 20.2 and 12 among those not named Embiid, Towns.

I thought he had the most potential in scoring among Euros. Joking is younger and rising fast though.

12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Embiid AD and Jokic are in a tier of their own.
    After that it’s really debatable with no definitive answer. Would we be better with Gobert than Clint? Probably not. But I don’t think Utah would be better with Clint instead of Gobert.

13. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Embid, AD and Jokic. The best 3 currently.

While I will put Capela along with Nurkic, Kat, Gobert, Drummond and Whiteside on the same tier.

So yeah, top 5 ish.

crimsonghost likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Capela is the best big man role player - he does what his team needs. He's never going to be able to carry this team and a lot of his success is built off of Harden. I doubt he scores half the points he does without Harden.

Last year when he was a better rim protector and overall better defensive player. Hopefully he regains that forms looks like he is making progress.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

More pathetic rebounding...

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Gerald is nuts man lmao

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes
    (18/19 season): currently

A Davis: 28.5 pts......13.3 rebs......32% (3P%)
    Embiid: 26.9 pts.......13.5 rebs......30% (3P%)
    Vucevic: 20.2 pts......12.0 rebs.....38% (3P%)
    Capela: 17.2 pts.......12.9 rebs..... 0% (3P%)
    Jokic: 18.8 pts..........10.0 rebs.....32% (3P%)

Honorable mention
    Steven Adams: 15.2...10.2 rebs. Everyone knows players have to sacrifice stats to accommodate Westbrook.

Sabonis: 14.9 pts........9.6 rebs (backup to Myles Turner; but gets stats
    ...............comparable to Adams.....in 10 mins less. 34 mins to 24 mins by Sabonis.

Others really aren’t near.......this year.

Edited: Drummond gets 17.1 pts.....14.9 rebs. But I don’t include him with the top centers. Too slow.

#57 ApacheWarrior, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    BigShasta likes this.
  18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Hes a top 5 center but he has some holes in his game. Needs to be more physical on defense and still has major developing to do on the offsensive end, including developing a mid-range game. But he's probably rounding out the top 5, maybe top 6.

One thing's for sure; it looks like hes on a value contract.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

His rebound numbers would

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

In our system, he is top 5. Honestly, the only person in the league that I would want more for that role is AD.

AroundTheWorld likes this.