1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Clint currently a top 5 big man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

I don’t see why he can’t considering he learned to be decent free throw shooter. That said, I’m not so sure that shot would be encouraged based on the way we play...

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

This to the nth degree. So many times on those dribble handoffs at the top of the key Clint is on an island. If he could step in a step or two and take a jumper once and a while he would keep those defenders honest and make Harden's job a little easier.

ak99999 likes this.
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Any shot you can shoot over 50 percent is a good shot in the system. That is why CP3 gets to take so many midranges in the paint.

4. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

let's see how cuz turns out post surgeries.

5. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

I remember in the first season MDA was here, Harrell played as well as Capela when he was out due to injury. Even now, I think if you put Montrezl in Clint's position, he'll probably provide about 80%-90% of Clint's production.

Capela has been playing great for us, he is an excellent role player, he is the best big man we can realistically have, I get all those. But there are players who can replicate a good amount of what Clint does, maybe even at a much lower price and we actually had one.

6. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I remember we had a losing record with Paul and Harden with Clint out last year. While I agree about Harrell, Harrell turned himself into one of the best bigs in the league in his own right, expect him to get an even bigger contract than Clint next year as some of the albatrosses from 2016 start to expire.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I remember we had a losing record with Paul and Harden with Clint out last year. While I agree about Harrell, Harrell turned himself into one of the best bigs in the league in his own right, expect him to get an even bigger contract than Clint next year as some of the albatrosses from 2016 start to expire.

8. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Clint is definitely very important in our system. A big man who can set screens, catch lobs, run the floor, finish near the rim, guard the paint, protect the rebound is extremely valuable to us. Last year when he was out, we didn't have a Harrell to do all those things for us. Harrell was the last piece Morey gave up in the Chris Paul deal, it will be a luxury if we can still have him as a backup center.

9. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

For all the crap Morey gets for his mediocre drafting during the early 2010s, he drafted 2 of the 6 of the non-lottery players with WS/48 above .200, with the 25th and 35th picks, and two of those 6 were drafted at 15.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Do you think he can learn to hit that shot at a 50% clip? I may be wrong, but neither Juwan Howard nor Scola hit that elbow jumper at 50%

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

No, I don't think he can but who knows. BTW, Scola shot that shot 47 percent from mid-range when he was with us.

12. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Shooting 50% from midrange is way harder than it looks, even for the best of shooters. Kawhi Leonard sits at around 46.5%, Kevin Durant at 48%, Klay Thompson leads the league in midrange attempts yet hits them at a 43% clip. James Harden, the master of the step-back 3? 41%. Even Stephen Curry, the best 3 point shooter of all time, only hits about 45% of his middle distance shots.

Chris Paul shot 54% from midrange last year, the best high-volume midrange season I've ever seen. Dirk in his prime hovered around 49-51%, as did Al Horford. The great Michael Jordan averaged an estimated 48% from midrange for his career. Most of the masters of the midrange throuought history never hit 50% from 3-23 3/4 feet.

I'd love for Capela to expand his offensive arsenal, but making it efficient is an accomplishment few boast of.

13. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

If Harrell is as good as you say, eventually you're going to have to pay more to keep him just like we did for Clint. Clint is a Cadillac and Harrell is a Buick. We need a caddy at the 5 spot and he's worth every penny.

Hakeemtheking and biff17 like this.
  14. biff17

biff17 Member

Harrell does not rebound or play defense at a average level let alone at a comparable level to Clint.

15. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Top five? Name five better. I can't.

16. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Offensively Harrell is slightly better than Clint, he is a slightly better finisher and has a good low post game; defensively, Harrell can move his feet equally fast but doesn't protect the rim or rebound nearly as good as Clint does. That's why I said 80%.

Of course Clint's worth every penny, his contract is actually quite a bargain for us, I am just saying that there are alternatives for him who do a good percent of what Clint does.

17. Jeff_TW

Jeff_TW Member

I would say CC is close to being top 5. If he didn't get abused by Nurkic on defense the other night, I would have said he is.