1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Impressed by Westbrook's Stats?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HTM, Dec 10, 2016.

1. DMO (DJ remix)

I'm more interested in Houston making a push for 2-3rd seeds than Harden having mvp, also Westbrook is doing amazing, Harden is also doing about as good, but honestly if he doesn't get it, he doesn't, at least he won't be robbed

Easy likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Me also, actually Harden chasing MVP started to bother and 'annoy' me kinda, to me it seems like a distraction from playing the game the way it should be played.

Vivi and Easy like this.
  3. HTM

HTM Member

I'd have to give up 33 years but gain billions.... hmm.... I'll take the years.

4. HTM

HTM Member

WB doing more with less?

Last time I checked OKC Thunder had 4 max players.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly. I don't want any of our players to chase any of the individual awards. Awards like MVP has no real definition anyway. It's a little better than the All Star voting, but it's still kind of a beauty contest.

Just play to win.

Vivi likes this.
  6. jsingles

jsingles Member

I've mentioned it a time or two, it was apparent last night as well, a lot of his rebounds could easily have fallen into Kanter's or Adams' hands, but with Russ right there they backed off. The whole team is playing into Russ getting his numbers. It's still mighty impressive though, that wouldn't fly on other teams.

basketballholic likes this.
  7. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Westbrook the type of dude to score the quaffle a 1000 times but not give a fck about da snitch

nickb492 and kiwirocketsfan like this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Keep seeing 10+ points mentioned. Westbrook is not getting 10 point triple doubles. Lol

It is very impressive.

HoustonTexas likes this.
  9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

If its so easy for Westbrook to do then how come John Wall, Rondo, Derrick Rose, Chris Paul, and other dynamic PG's arent getting close to doing it? Its really easy to see that WB operates in another speed out there than everyone else. Look at Beverley smaller than WB and snagging boards in traffic. WB has far more responsibilities too, while Bev can just focus on hustle plays, and he still outboards Bev

I said this in another thread. That's what Jason Kidd used to do, grab the ball himself to get into the play quicker. If the big is just gonna dump it to the guard anyway then its not a huge deal really to not have the middle man there. I think Steve Francis was a bad example of PG rebounding. He was not a fast paced player pushing the ball up, he just liked having the ball lol

All that said I don't think bigs concede 10 extra boards a night. Maybe certain nights on crappy teams, but doesnt carry on all through the year. Bigs need to WIN and get paid too.

10. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Triple double isn't that impressive when you combine it with weak defensive effort, high turnover rate, and a 42% fg% along with 31% from 3's.

Nothing he is doing is leading to the long-term success of OKC. He's certainly stagnating the development of young players as they're forced to defer to Westbrook. And no star player will ever want to play with him again.

They are 14-9 now, but their record is more indicative of the schedule they've played thus far. 9 of their 14 wins so far are against teams under .500. They're a 45 win team in every way shape and form. All this talk of Westbrook being MVP is a joke. If Kobe didn't get an MVP for his ball hogging years, neither should Westbrook.

11. MistaK

MistaK Member

Just go away and focus on your Hawks....2 Triple Doubles against the SAS, the game against CLE, Triple Double against GS, etc....

If you think guys like Westbrook, Durant, LeBron,etc. are better than Harden, that's fine...there's always arguments that can be made for either of those players..They are after all the elite players in the league, but your statement about Harden bringing it only against bottom feeders is simply ignorant or you are just hating

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

As a stat on its own, sure it's impressive. They have won 6 of 7 and he's leading them like a great player does. He's a hard worker and this is a result of that. However, in the end it's just stats. If he continues to do it and they win, then great. If they start to lose and he still continues then what's the point? Winning is the point..I think both Harden & Westbrook are playing great, but both seem to care about these stats a bit too much in my opinion. They say they don't, but we all know from watching games they really want the accolades.

13. Rockets4Life13

The stat itsself impressive, no doubt.
    BUT he is really getting atleast 8 totally uncontested rebounds where adams is standing right next to him and just donates the rebound to westbrook.
    I think that is a bad thing if u want to win games. Not only will he be tired by the end of the season, but i also think thats not good for the team moral and chemistry. Bigs want to be a part of the game. Let them get their boards. Basketball is a teamgame. It's not like adams isn't capable of getting rebounds - no need to snag them away from him.

Tldr: westbrook is one of the best players in the league. It's impressive, but not that much. And definetely not worthy for all the media hype. Thunder will go about .500 and their team is NOT as bad as people say it is. They've got some good players, they're just not much involved on the offensive end

jsingles likes this.
  14. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

You do know that Westbrook is averaging 30.9 Points Per Game and not 10?

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

The only thing that at Irks me isn't the fact that at he is turning it over like crazy and the only person to call him out on it from what I have seen is JVG.
    Last year they were all over Harden.

On another note, why does he take so many 3's when he shoots them so poorly.

16. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Welcome to the new NBA. Same question could be asked about Harden. Why continue to shoot 3s when you've missed 7. It's just the new NBA.

17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

It's somewhat annoying how Westbrook stat chases, and national media and average fan thinks Westbrook is clearly > Harden, but to say his stats are unimpressive is just hating. Westbrook is playing historic basketball, just try to enjoy it as a fan of basketball.

saleem likes this.
  18. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

At least Harden is close to a 40% 3PT shooter while Wesbrook barely breaks 30%

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why is it in here they compare Harden with WB while other team's fans probably compare WB to for example Durant?

20. basketballholic

Impressed with Westbrook's energy. But always have been. Not impressed with his numbers. Never have been.

Russell Westbrook is an enigma. He's played out of control for so long he's finally gotten good at it. At least as good as you can get by playing that way.

Take two average players, combine their possession usage and add all their numbers up and you have.....Russell Westbrook.

He's using 28.5 shot possessions to get his 30+ points per game. That's the same efficiency as the entire team. His efg and TS are mundane. And he turns it over 5.64 times a game while only getting it back in steals and offensive rebounds 2.46 times a game. That's a net negative 3.18 possessions, which equates to a net negative 7 points against his team.

Not impressive. Just ball hogging. OKC is going to fall off the table playing this way and if they make the playoffs they will be dispatched early. They really should trade Westbrook to the Lakers for Ingram, Russell, and 2017 pick or pick swap (other contacts to match).

Cashmoney and Rodman23 like this.