1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Important Sandbox Announcement (This is Ridiculous)

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by fadeaway, Aug 29, 2002.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Each season, Sandbox is challenged with keeping up with the costs associated with building and maintaining Full Contact. Contrary to where most web-based fantasy football games are headed, Sandbox will continue to offer Full Contact Fantasy Football, complete with live-scoring and unlimited player transactions, at NO CHARGE to players. But in order to offset our costs, we do need to institute a change to the site.

The most significant expenses we incur are associated with our computer hardware and extremely high bandwidth costs resulting from the fact that the majority of our users are logged into the game and making changes at the same time of day. Therefore, in order to handle the costs of running Full Contact, we are introducing the Peak Usage program for the 2002 season. Simply put, EVERYONE will still have access to Full Contact for the majority of each day. However, during our peak traffic hours only Peak Usage Members will be able to access Full Contact.

Here is an overview of the Peak Usage program:

- HOURS: Sandbox Peak Usage hours are between 9 AM-1:30 PM ET and between 6 PM-9:30 PM ET. During this time, only Peak Usage Members will be able to log into Full Contact. Those who choose not to become Peak Usage Members will have ample time throughout the day to log into Full Contact in order to view scoring, execute trades or pick up players off the waiver wire.

- FEE: The fee for Peak Usage will be $3.95 per month, charged on your initial sign-up date, and then monthly on the anniversary date of enrollme nt.

- LAUNCH DATE: The program is scheduled to launch on Tuesday, September 3rd, 2002.

PLEASE NOTE: Full Contact Fantasy Football is still FREE to play. The Peak Usage program only affects those members who prefer to play Full Contact during the
    aforementioned Peak Hours.

We will have an information and sign-up page ready on Tuesday that will provide more details. In the meantime, please email any questions to peakusage@sandbox.com or click below to discuss in the Full Contact forums:
    http://www.sandbox.com/commerce/pub-bin/promo/6775[/URL]

Good luck in the upcoming Full Contact season.

Sincerely,

The Commish

====================

This is absolutely pathetic. Once this program is instituted, we won't be able to log into the football game between 9 AM-1:30 PM ET and 6 PM-9:30 PM ET each day without paying a fee. Inexcusable.

I'm beginning to think it's time to start thinking about slowly migrating away from Sandbox. I love their format to death, but this "peak hours" fee thing is total bullsh*t.

2. fadeaway

On another note for all the Finn* Leaguers, Sandbox has no plans to offer fantasy basketball this year. We'll either have to stick with Sportsline (are they charging $$ for their game this year? They do now for football...) or find another site.

3. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Yes, I concur, total bull****.

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I think its already started, as I can't get to league rosters for our league. It won't be that bad fade. At least it is still free. CBS is charging to use their site (another league I'm in uses CBS). CBS does offer all kinds of advice and up to date news, so it's not too bad.

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I completely agree. Very ****ty on their part.

And gee, what about the people who don't pay that fee? Guess they can't get any good waiver wire pickups eh? :rolleyes:

I put in a vote for yahoo's stuff. I like their footy leagues and format over sportsline.

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I have been looking for other options. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

7. Summer Song Giver

This sucks ass, for fun I was going to join a public league over at yahoo and it looked to me like Yahoo had gone paysite for fantasy games or maybe all the games were already taken, dunno.

8. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I have played in Yahoo leagues for quite sometime. I actually switched from Sandbox to Yahoo. I have had no trouble with their leagues and there is definitely no charge for it. They do have some options you can buy but they are not really anything special so I never purchase them.

CK

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Maybe we should make a rule that you can't be a peak user. Whoever is peak will dominate. No doubt. It's a huge advantage.

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly...if we all are not peak, it will be fair and not matter.

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Good idea, but how do you enforce the "no-peak" rule? How can you tell if someone is peak or not? Of course, I can trust you guys (except fadeaway, I think he cheats! :D :D ).

And what about Smeg? His hours are totally different anyway.

12. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the transactions come thru with a time stamp. You can always check transaction times and see if anyone is using it during the peak hours.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What's pathetic isn't the fact they're charging, it's the fact they wait until just about every draft is complete and the season is about to start before pulling this garbage. Basically they locked you in. As if they just decided this. :rolleyes:

14. fadeaway

When you're the best, you don't need to cheat! ;)

...now where did I put those voodoo dolls...?

15. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Well, that sucks.

I'd rather do it myself by hand than pay Sandbox.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, but what does that have to do with you?! :p

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You're right Dr. of Dunk, that's the only thing that bothers me about this. They have a right to do what they want, but doing it this late sucks.

BTW, you better be down for a get together soon, I'll be a Dallas resident tonight!

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I've never really liked Sandbox...I played Fantasy Baseball a couple of years ago, and haven't gone back since. Yahoo is where I get all my Fantasy games...and it is completely free, unless you want special features (that you really don't need to play the game) which cost extra.

19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I agree with that definitely.

That in conjunction with the spamming, ads, and frequent bugginess just makes it not worth it.

20. Summer Song Giver

It's too late to migrate to yahoo right?