1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Important Sandbox Announcement (This is Ridiculous)

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by fadeaway, Aug 29, 2002.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

another email from them... explaining....

The purpose of this email is to address some questions raised by members
    about the launch of the new Sandbox Peak Usage Program, scheduled for release
    later today. We delivered an email to all Full Contact Fantasy Football members
    last week in an attempt to make sure everyone received proper notification of the
    program launch prior to the start of the NFL season. For those of you who did
    not get a chance to review last week's email, please read the program details on
    the following page before reading the remainder of this email.

http://www.sandbox.com/sports/pub-bin/page?sc_forum+ubb/NonCGI/Forum7/HTML/000078.html

Now, on to some of the questions that have been raised by our loyal members:

Reason for Launch:

Sandbox has been and always will be committed to keeping our Full Fantasy games FREE
    to play. However, in late August we realized that we were going to
    have a very difficult time reaching our revenue projections. Therefore, we needed
    to come up with a way in which we could keep the games FREE for all of our loyal
    members, but also create an additional revenue source. After reviewing a few different
    options, the Peak Usage Program was the only logical choice for us, because not only
    did it address some of our major expenses such as computer hardware and bandwidth costs,
    but it also was the only option that allowed us to increase revenue to keep the game free.
    When we reviewed pricing, it did not seem out of line to ask for 13 cents per day
    to access Full Contact when our costs are highest.

Timing of Announcement:

Regarding the timing of the announcement, it was never our intention to "surprise" our
    members with this announcement. We did not send out an announcement until last week,
    simply because we did not know if the program was viable until last week. We sincerely
    apologize for not being able to give you more time to consider how this program affects
    your fantasy football season.

Decreased Competition:

Some of our active Full Contact players are nervous that with the execution of this
    program will come a large increase in Dead Teams, which destroys some of the fun of
    the game by making leagues less competitive. Rest assured that will be making
    dead teams available to other Sandbox players as we have in the past in order to
    keep all of your leagues competitive and interesting.

Customer Service & Billing Inquiries:

For those of you who choose to sign up for the Peak Usage Program, you will receive
    priority customer email service and a special customer service phone number for
    Peak Usage billing inquiries. We have also designed a very simple process for you
    to cancel your subscription should you choose to discontinue service at any point.

Payment Methods:

We have heard your questions about alternative payment methods and we are currently
    exploring the possibility of offering members other ways to make payment
    outside of credit card payments.

For additional information on the program and to sign up for the Peak Usage Program,
    please log into Full Contact after 6 PM ET today, and click on
    "Become A Peak Usage Member" on your Full Contact home page.

Good luck to all this fantasy season and thanks for choosing to play at Sandbox.

Sincerely,

The Commish

2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

As far as I'm concerned, Sandbox can take their peak usage program and shove it up their a$$. Bunch of beerstards. :mad:

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Make sure to get your lineup set BEFORE 6pm thursday, or your screwed (0 points).

It's looking more and more like we will be yahooing this coming basketball season.

4. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

This peak usage thing sucks. Right in the middle of trade negotiations, and I must wait till later this afternoon.

5. fadeaway

Does Yahoo have a commish option where you can just set up the rosters of every team? That's how Bob handled the CBS basketball league -- we did the live draft on the BBS and he just plugged in all the team rosters himself on the site.

If it's possible to set up a Yahoo head-to-head league, change the scoring system so it is identical to Sandbox, and import our rosters, it might be feasible to move.

I'm not sure if you can do all this stuff in Yahoo, though. Does anyone know how much freedom their program offers?

6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes actually they do. You just set it up for offline draft then the commish inputs everything. Scoring is customizable and I think you can get, if not exactly like Sandbox, real close. It lets you customize how many starters and bench players. It scores for a ton of different stats. i have been using them for Baseball basketball and Football, for a couple of years and have had no problems. One thing I just found out with them that for my local league is nice. They changed this year and are now allowing intra-roster moves(starters to bench etc.) up until 5 minutes before the players game starts. I think we do have time to move if we want but we will need to do it fast. You must also be registered with yahoo to participate.

CK

7. PhiSlammaJamma

8. Summer Song Giver

I'm drafting in a public yahoo league tonite, can one own multiple yahoo teams? If not a decision needs to be made pronto.

9. Summer Song Giver

Also with the percentage of repeat players we have I wouldn't mind a keeper league n the future.

10. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

You can have multiple yahoo leagues. I currently have 3 baseball leagues and this would be my 2nd football league. There is no problme with that. You just have to go to the main Fantasy Football page and click the create a team button.

11. Summer Song Giver

Cool, thanks. What about the keeper league idea?

12. BobFinn*

We will have to wait until smeggy awakens from his beauty sleep to make the move.

Maybe we could take a vote on the keeper league thing.

I kinda like starting from scratch every year.

13. fadeaway

Me too. The draft is the best part.

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I wouldn't mind trying out a keeper league, but aside from the "traditional" one.

I would like a switch to yahoo as well.

Sandbox bites.

15. Summer Song Giver

Uh guys, the season starts tommorrow. When will Smeg be on?

16. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Not sure about Smeg being on but as for getting it done quickly... You may want to go ahead and get a Yahoo registration ASAP so if we decide to switch and smeg creates a league you can go ahead and create a team. If you have guys playing tomorrow nite then you have until 5 minutes before game time to get your team entered. If you do not have anyone playing tomorrow nite you have a little more time to set a lineup. I believe as soon as you create a team Smeg can start entering your draft data. When everyone has a team created he can start the league.

17. BobFinn*

smeg should be getting online within the hour.

Like Castor said, anyone who is not registered at Yahoo please do so.

18. BobFinn*

19. PhiSlammaJamma

I have an account, but I have not created a team.

I think this may be tuff to pull off. We'll see what happens.

20. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

I am here now, i have yahoo registration

shall we try

fade can you post the setting for scoring

stay around guys and i will let you know how it goes and you guys can talk me through, anyone have an idea what will be the quickest way to set the rosters??

Smeg